Any way to disable dimming of dashboard lighting when using parking lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LC
As the title says, is there any way to disable dimming of dashboard lighting (i.e lights illumining the buttons on the center console , not the instrument cluster) when using parking lights?

A more powerful alternator? The dimming of the lights on the dash is just a result of the higher load on the battery from the parking lights slightly affecting the voltage on the circuit, and hence the brightness of other bulbs on the vehicle. You can see the same thing happen when your indicators flash if you look closely. There's no circuit deliberately causing that effect.

Seems like the OP is asking if there is a method to leave certain lamps bright and others dimmed?? IDK.

A more powerful alternator? The dimming of the lights on the dash is just a result of the higher load on the battery from the parking lights slightly affecting the voltage on the circuit, and hence the brightness of other bulbs on the vehicle. You can see the same thing happen when your indicators flash if you look closely. There's no circuit deliberately causing that effect.
Not so. At least on US-spec vehicles there are a lot of dash buttons, such as those for climate control, that get dim to the point of not being visible in the daylight when the parking lights are on. It's definitely a feature controlled by a circuit, not a load on the electrical system. It annoys me to no end as I often run my headlights on trails to be more visible to oncoming traffic, but I can't see if the A/C is on fresh or recirc. I'm interested in the answer to the OP's question for sure.

For the center console HVAC control unit, the illumination is off the GAUGE fuse and it looks like the "dimming" is off the TAIL fuse which is input at connector H10 pin13. Perhaps removing this solid green wire, or adding an additional switch in line with it so the dimming can be controlled would be the answer.

I recently had suffered from this issue as the sun was coming in just right and I had to kill my headlights to see the climate control lights.
Any forward motion on this, Tester123?

I had a look at the circuit diagram for the HVAC unit, and I think to get this "perfect" you'd have to make internal circuit changes to the HVAC unit. Not big ones, but I'm pretty sure if you disconnect the TAIL input you'll lose a backlight of some kind. I've only ever seen the manual climate controls in real life so someone who has access to this fancy automatic unit would need to do more investigation. Should be an easy mod though, just cutting one trace internally.

I recently had suffered from this issue as the sun was coming in just right and I had to kill my headlights to see the climate control lights.
Any forward motion on this, Tester123?
Unfortunately, I don't have the best skill in terms of electrical tinkering, so as of this reply, I honestly not sure yet. But I do like jonheld's answer and would give that a try.

Not so. At least on US-spec vehicles there are a lot of dash buttons, such as those for climate control, that get dim to the point of not being visible in the daylight when the parking lights are on. It's definitely a feature controlled by a circuit, not a load on the electrical system. It annoys me to no end as I often run my headlights on trails to be more visible to oncoming traffic, but I can't see if the A/C is on fresh or recirc. I'm interested in the answer to the OP's question for sure.

The clock also....dims to a point where I can't see it at all in the daytime.

The clock also....dims to a point where I can't see it at all in the daytime.
Yep, and I suspect that other buttons, like defrost, antenna, CDL, hazzard, etc. may also dim, although most of mine are dead anyway. Would be nice if there was a single shared circuit that could be altered to gain control of all of them.

I like where this is going, as I drive with my headlights on 100% of the time. I have to shut off my lights to check the time on the clock or to see if I remembered to push the AC button.

I like where this is going, as I drive with my headlights on 100% of the time. I have to shut off my lights to check the time on the clock or to see if I remembered to push the AC button.

Same here, check clock or see if the A/C is on recirculate in the daytime. I run my parking lights in the daytime when I drive.

Is the rheostat up all the way? Don't know if that makes any difference. I get caught by this from time to time, but I don't run my lights during the day all that much.

this is why I filled ALL of my dash illumination holes with red LEDs. I can leave the dimmer cranked at all times. see fine during the day and it doesn't bother my eyes one bit at night.

this is why I filled ALL of my dash illumination holes with red LEDs. I can leave the dimmer cranked at all times. see fine during the day and it doesn't bother my eyes one bit at night.
Wow, that sounds brilliant. Any chance of you showing it off in with a pic or video?

All of my dash is LED also (decrease amp draw) but the problem persists.

Wow, that sounds brilliant. Any chance of you showing it off in with a pic or video?
rig is down for the count at the moment (doing engine/trans swap, etc). I will try to remember when it's done, but likely to be a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom