Any updated double din installs lx450/fj80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed. The door panels look really good. Did you do them yourself?

Super clean install think this is my favorite yet. Do you have links for what you put in?
Here is the list
5.25" speakers
Amazon product ASIN B018G5K8IY
6.5" speakers
Amazon product ASIN B00TM98RWI
Sony Head Unit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CB3CB1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01

USB Cables and housing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY1WDIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Backup Camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KZSVD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Wiring Kit for 87 up Toyota. I only used one of the connectors, someone previously laid new speaker wire so I just connected to those.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Then, I just bought a Walmart subwoofer with amp. I had my doubts but its pretty darn good with a lot of sound control on the side of the box. I also bought a subwoofer wiring install kit at Walmart.
Subwoofer

An audiophile may turn up their nose at my system, but to me it sounds great. Again, I think the Kilmat and Silless help a lot as well.

Last edited:
Agreed. The door panels look really good. Did you do them yourself?
No, when I bought the RoadWire.com leather kit, it came with free installation $1,550 front and back. I asked the install shop if they do door panels and they said yes, and they ordered the same color in vinyl to do the panels. $125 each, can't beat that price! Oh, for the back door panels I ordered a yard of the same carpet I bought from stockinteriors.com to match my new carpet.

This is what I am in the process of installing:
I went with a cheaper Jensen shallow head unit that leaves some more space behind it for the wires and harness. It has multiple video input so I have a front and rear mounted. It also has a dimmer, which is nice at night. It's connected to an older Clarion marine amp I had laying around.
20220324_172444.jpg

I ran newer speaker wire to the doors (huge PIA). 6.5" Rockford Fosgate components in the front
20220324_172507.jpg

4" in the rear
20220324_172520.jpg

I was always into audio in my subarus, so I needed some kind of boom. I put a small 8" powered JBL sub under the driver seat so I can at least feel it a little.
20220324_172552.jpg

In the future, I am installing tweeters where the two dash speakers were and more 4" speakers in place of the two far rear speakers.

It was kind of a budget job, so I didn't spring for real high quality... I just wanted something with camera inputs and it got a bit away from me.

Purchased this backup camera in 2019 and cannot say enough good things about it. The selectable view makes a huge difference and true 170* FoV is massive. I have one installed on the 80 and one installed on my Tundra.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2PKT8L

1648240948679.png

1648240920095.png

BTW, I installed the same Pioneer AVH-2550NEX in both the 80 and the Tundra.
1648241109231.png

1648241191265.png

I put a Sony xav-ax5000 on my 80. I like it, but it's also disappointing.

Firmware is glitchy.
It will just randomly stop playing sound. Restarting the car sometimes sorts it out, sometimes not.

It will also randomly say "USB DEVICE NOT SUPPORTED " and won't allow my phone to connect via USB despite being connected for the past several hours.

tried updating the firmware with no change

It will also randomly say "USB DEVICE NOT SUPPORTED " and won't allow my phone to connect via USB despite being connected for the past several hours.
I got that with a pioneer and an alpine. Alpine i think i fixed with running a usb3.0 cable from headunit to center console. For the pioneer i did the same and it helped it a little. Also it sometimes wouldn't come on with the truck and i would have to turn the key off and then back on again. Still once in a while i would get that USB error. Both were android auto units. I am testing an Android unit now in my tundra. If i don't have those same issues the alpine in the 80 is getting replaced with an Android unit. It's like having a tablet in the truck. But i only have about a week and a half of experience with it so time will tell.

I’ve got the Sony too. Same issue with the USB. However, what I’ve found is that if I have a aftermarket apple usb cable I get those glitches. If I use an apple cable, never.

I’ve found ut to be very reliable via BT. And 1000% better than the crazy bad system in our 2017 ford.

What I don’t like about the Sony is the dimmer is still too bright at night. Even if I switch the screen to a black color theme.

In harsh lighting, the screen is useless, negating the back up camera use completely.

Also physical volume knob was a mandatory for me.

The sound ordinance sub installed in the RQP is awesome.

I'm still fighting a 2017/18 Kenwood excelon with their horrible/abandoned "weblink" interface. Slow to start up, always telling me one thing or another has disconnected, has never been able to display a nav app on the screen. The tech help desk party line is always "you have a bad usb cable." Since car audio was pretty badly affected by covid I've been just ignoring the issues.
I've thought about just going back to a single din unit too, since screen visibility in my dash is pretty bad in a lot of conditions.
What are people's thoughts regarding sound stage and mounting either component style tweeters in the lower dash space of the 80 or getting little 2-1/2 or 3" full range for those spots? Is it worth the bother for a speaker that points directly at you and your passengers knees?

I've thought about just going back to a single din unit too, since screen visibility in my dash is pretty bad in a lot of conditions.
I agree the dashes were not meant to have screens there, too much glair. I would like to have a screen that can be tiled on two axis for the next touchscreen i put in just to minimize the glair i get from the passenger seat.

I agree the dashes were not meant to have screens there, too much glair. I would like to have a screen that can be tiled on two axis for the next touchscreen i put in just to minimize the glair i get from the passenger seat.

Agreed. I've toyed with the idea of refitting the head unit to tilt the screen on two axis to face toward the driver more.
Not sure how achievable it is

Not sure how achievable it is
I've seen some head units with tilt screen but i might just go with and Android unit that has a completely detached screen so i can mount differently. Maybe even print a new bezel.

I've seen some head units with tilt screen but i might just go with and Android unit that has a completely detached screen so i can mount differently. Maybe even print a new bezel.
If you wind up printing a new bezel, would you be interested in making a few for some of us mudders? For a price of course... I know there are probably a bunch of us interested in something like that and don't have a printer.

Last edited:
that thin Alpine ilx___ could be good for that if you don't add the piggyback amp to it. A system like that might allow enough room for some extra rotation towards the driver.

that thin Alpine ilx___ could be good for that if you don't add the piggyback amp to it. A system like that might allow enough room for some extra rotation towards the driver.

The Sony unit i have is the size of a single DIN unit with a double DIN screen. I did think about making a custom mounting bracket and bezel to rotate it in the dash.

What are people doing to help with glare issues?

On my Sony xav1000 I can’t see a damn thing during the day if it’s bright outside which is tough when I’m using the Maps feature in CarPlay mode.

It sounds like all the anti-glare screen covers are a mixed bag and many compromise the overall clarity of the screen.

Hmm i should see on mine. I don't have the amp either so you might be right of wiggle room. I will check it when I get my current stuff done and it back on wheels.

@Dirt Ferguson for glare i often try to put something dark on the passenger seat and that usually is enough when it is a problem it isnt always an issue of the sun isnt hitting the seat.

Thanks everyone this thread is incredibly helpful; I just picked up an incredibly well kept 97 LX450 and I am looking to attack the same project soon. @jomichael I do like your install. Couple questions for the group related to this:
1. Any thoughts on replacing everything but the subwoofer and just leaving the OEM sub in there with the new head unit and door speakers? My cones are blown out on 3/4 door speakers but I think the sub is fine.
2. I can fix a lot of things but I do not trust myself with anything electrical after a prior debacle with an F150. I also do not trust most of the "experts" at car audio shops, and I think might be safer to let my local Land Cruiser repair guy install the stuff for me. If anyone has any suggestions on what to look for or pitfalls with knowing whether an audio installer knows what they are doing with an LC/LX, I am all ears.

What are people doing to help with glare issues?

On my Sony xav1000 I can’t see a damn thing during the day if it’s bright outside which is tough when I’m using the Maps feature in CarPlay mode.

It sounds like all the anti-glare screen covers are a mixed bag and many compromise the overall clarity of the screen.
The Pioneer is just as bad. In fact the worst combination is polarized sunglasses and anything white or bright on the passenger seat. Android auto and google maps are completely worthless then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom