Any updated double din installs lx450/fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran my e brake wire to a toggle switch so i could have full functionality at will.

Has anyone come up with a fix for the poor performance of the pioneer display in sunlight? Mine is unreadable with sunglasses on a bright day. Have others had better results with different head units?

A stereo upgrade will be my first mod to my 80. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have touch screen units.

• Can you turn the screen off completely on any of these? Newer vehicles with screens seem to always have some light on even if the stereo is "off". They can be very bright at night and kill night vision and cause glare which I don't want.
  • Does anything special need to happen with the wiring? I'll be wiring into a LX450 and I see a lot of mention of the factory amp. I don't understand if I need to bypass it or run it. I want to solder up a wiring harness pre- install so I can change the HU out quickly since I'll be doing it in a parking lot somewhere.

I have the 8200NEX in my rig and it’s pretty solid. Some well thought out options but IMO never as fluid as oem.

TL;DR worth the $

A stereo upgrade will be my first mod to my 80. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have touch screen units.

• Can you turn the screen off completely on any of these? Newer vehicles with screens seem to always have some light on even if the stereo is "off". They can be very bright at night and kill night vision and cause glare which I don't want.
  • Does anything special need to happen with the wiring? I'll be wiring into a LX450 and I see a lot of mention of the factory amp. I don't understand if I need to bypass it or run it. I want to solder up a wiring harness pre- install so I can change the HU out quickly since I'll be doing it in a parking lot somewhere.

LX450 Stero wiring
for your wiring question

Pioneer MVH 1400NEX here. Replaced all 9 speakers with Focal including the subwoofer in its factory location. ARC audio Xdi 1100.5 to run it all from other the drivers seat. LOVE IT.

View attachment 1697492
Just picked up this head unit to install from amazon. Quick question, did the correct harness come with it or did you need to purchase that separately? I've never done a head unit swap before so I'm in uncharted territory. Appreciate any and all help. Cheers!

You will need to get a harness to which you attach to what is in the box with your head unit..so look for metra or other brand that is for Toyota vehicles. If your particular vehicle is like the US Lexus where you need to deal with a factory amp the check out the following thread.https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx450-stereo-wiring.938277/page-6#post-13143832

Without the amp you don't need to do as much work as you don't need to extend..

In short, you will just take the color coded wires hanging off of the plug supplied with your head unit, and mostly match them up with the color coded adaptor i mentioned above. Once those are connected up, most of the work is done and you just pull the old out and plug it in to the factory harness. This does not include camera or microphones etc but those are connected separately anyway.

Not hard just read the directions slowly and let you head get wrapped around it.

I just installed the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX unit and couldn’t be happier. Plug and play with the correct harness. Backup camera, onboard navigation, Apple CarPlay, and more....

View attachment 1694599

I did change the the factory speakers out because mine were shredded. I also pulled the factory amp out because it was blown.

View attachment 1694600

The front speakers fit right in and retains the factory grills, the rear speakers, I mounted through the door cards, as I was not able to retain the factory grills with the 6.5 inch speakers, but I’ve heard some people have figured out a way. I just didn’t want to do all the engineering required to figure it out. I simply painted the Pioneer grills to match and I think they look and sound great.

heres a video I made for installing these speakers 1 of 2 videos

#1.
#2.

You will need to get a harness to which you attach to what is in the box with your head unit..so look for metra or other brand that is for Toyota vehicles. If your particular vehicle is like the US Lexus where you need to deal with a factory amp the check out the following thread.https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx450-stereo-wiring.938277/page-6#post-13143832

Without the amp you don't need to do as much work as you don't need to extend..

In short, you will just take the color coded wires hanging off of the plug supplied with your head unit, and mostly match them up with the color coded adaptor i mentioned above. Once those are connected up, most of the work is done and you just pull the old out and plug it in to the factory harness. This does not include camera or microphones etc but those are connected separately anyway.

Not hard just read the directions slowly and let you head get wrapped around it.

Appreciate the rundown. I will be installing in a JDM 1997 FZJ80 so I don't believe I'll have the amp problem. I saw in a past youtube video the need to cut a 'blue' wire to deactivate the unit from attempting to power the radio antenna. Is that still true in this case? I'm gonna turn it all on before zipping everything back up to make sure everything reacts correctly. Thanks again for the help.

If you don't want the power antenna to be activated on powering on the headunit then you dont' need to connect it, but I don't think you can get it to work at all if you don't connect it. Many people move to no electric antennas anyway so the wire becomes pointless.

Bumping this bad boy. Got the green light from the purse string holder for a new stereo. I’ve already got the same speakers as the OP and they’re fine. I also switched out the factory sun (center console on my 97 LX) per a thread from mud somewhere. Really just looking for a recommendation on a commercially available head unit. Bells and whistles are approved but not mandatory.

Maybe I should start my own thread. There’s so many topics that have already been covered and just need the correct bump.

Thanks Google search!

Bumping this bad boy. Got the green light from the purse string holder for a new stereo. I’ve already got the same speakers as the OP and they’re fine. I also switched out the factory sun (center console on my 97 LX) per a thread from mud somewhere. Really just looking for a recommendation on a commercially available head unit. Bells and whistles are approved but not mandatory.

Maybe I should start my own thread. There’s so many topics that have already been covered and just need the correct bump.

Thanks Google search!
I've since sold the LX450 (major regret), but while I had it I removed the CD changer and put a powered subwoofer in its place. IIRC I was able to power it from the CD changer power wire that was already down there. Removed the weak factory sub and used that area as a storage cubby. I miss that truck.

Thanks Google search!
I'm after more info as well. There doesn't seem to be any new updated threads on this topic. I have a 91 FJ80 and am wondering if there are differences from the LX450 that I need to know about. I was thinking about this head unit: Sony XAVAX5500 The price and reviews seem to point to a solid unit. The other one is the Pioneer WVGA but the price is a bit high for me.

The previous owner put in a single din and ran speaker wires to the doors, I can't even figure out where the stock speaker harness connection is!

Last edited:
I've got this and I like it a lot. Having an actual volume knob is really nice. Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay both work great.

Amazon product ASIN B07JDFKQJ5

91 FJ80. Does anyone happen to know if this harness is the speaker connection and what part # I need to connect to it? It's the driver side door and it was connected to the hole in the pic. Rear door has a similar connection. Previous owner ran their own wire from a single din stereo. Wonder if the stock harness failed or they were just dumb.
Also, does anyone know if the 91 FJ80 had a factory amp?

IMG_1006.jpeg

There was no trimming required for my 97LX

Just updating this thread. Installed my new Sony head unit and Sony speakers with a cheap subwoofer. Gotta say, it sounds incredible! Love the backup camera and the sound of the system. I think the Kilmat and Silless helps the sound as well. Windows roll up and down without issue, though it may because I reskinned the door panels which may have made it a little thicker. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1090.jpeg

Just updating this thread. Installed my new Sony head unit and Sony speakers with a cheap subwoofer. Gotta say, it sounds incredible! Love the backup camera and the sound of the system. I think the Kilmat and Silless helps the sound as well. Windows roll up and down without issue, though it may because I reskinned the door panels which may have made it a little thicker. Couldn't be happier.

View attachment 2960906

View attachment 2960907

View attachment 2960908
Super clean install think this is my favorite yet. Do you have links for what you put in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom