Any unique weakness of Hundy compared to other Toyota V8 trucks and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems most Toyotas that allegedly had rust issues are made outside of Japan. I needed a reliable V8 so started looking into Sequoia and Tundra but ended up buying a Hundy :D Was just expressing that I'm glad I made a good choice. Sorry for any confusion. Indeed, where the truck is kept, whether it's driven after snow and whether antirust-spray is applied are more important factors when it comes to rust proofing.

Honestly owning a bunch of high mileage Toyota's SUV/Trucks, any Toyota is better than no Toyota.. their truck/suv's are built to last the test of time and patience...as your wife/friends/relatives will be tired of looking at it before it brakes down for you to replace it.. its somewhat of a curse lol...

I would say yeah they forgot but the alternator and the starter is not to far apart in terms of height.. if I have to guess at max they are maybe 9in apart in height.. Toyota engineers could have swapped the location of the Power Steering Pump with the Alternator and then both the starter and alternator may be very close in height.. but I think we may be overthinking this... :)
I saw a post in the past few days saying the engine was designed for LS. It is impossible to have the starter on the side for LS.

Toyota engineers could have swapped the location of the Power Steering Pump with the Alternator and then both the starter and alternator may be very close in height.. but I think we may be overthinking this... :)

Alternator and PS pump locations should have been swapped. The UZ designers put so much thought into serviceability, yet totally whiffed on what happens to the alternator when the PS pump begins to leak. The alternator is also a PITA to get to in the LS and the 100 once the PS pump leak wipes out the alternator bushes.

The two starter bolts could have used a different coating as there is sometimes some galvanic corrosion schmoo on them that causes some removal difficulty. But overall, the UZ starter is not hard to service. The intake manifold was designed to come off easily. While we're in there...the engine has long-life details built throughout, but the knock sensor pigtails could have used a design that allowed them to be replaced while you're in for a starter build. They'll break during a starter swap, and then your left with some splice work.

The 100's front diff is a joke. Put all the lockers in it you want...the RG will blow when you load it up - or even if you don't. The housing isn't stiff enough to take the torque, so the towers spread, and then the gear pops.

The 100's front diff is a joke. Put all the lockers in it you want...the RG will blow when you load it up - or even if you don't. The housing isn't stiff enough to take the torque, so the towers spread, and then the gear pops.
Are you saying that my Nitro gears will pop as easy as OEM units?

The problem wasn't the gear. That ring gear gets utterly thrashed by 80-series guys with few problems.

The problem, as far as anyone can tell, is the lack of stiffness in at least some of the 100 housings. Otherwise, all the lockers and cryo gears do is toughen things up.

BUT - there's no data to this. This is just chatter from dudes who work on our play around in LCs, 100s included. I'd love to get a good sample of 100 and 80 thirds on a bench and torque them up to see what carrier lateral displacement looks like at a given torque.

As for Nitro specifically, that's a can of worms. Lots of chatter on here about them and other gear sources. I'll not add to it beyond saying that I wish it were easier to pin down who actually made gears.

Last edited:
I just had my intake off and did the starter motor and water crossover gaskets etc so it's fresh in my mind. As much as people on the internet like to complain it's really not a bad job. For only having to do it every 250k or so it's totally fine. By comparison doing headers on these trucks is one of the toughest slogs out there, if the starter was mounted traditionally down low by the headers behind the front suspension it would be an insanely tough job.

These motors rule. You need to stay on top of them otherwise problems compound but if you just drive it and maintain it they are awesome. It's really a joy to work on these engines compared to a Chevy or whatever.

It seems most Toyotas that allegedly had rust issues are made outside of Japan.
True - Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia are all produced in North America and all three were part of the rusty frame recall. The primary issues were for those vehicles produced during 2004-2008, which were made with US steel produced by Dana Corp in Ohio. Toyota won a $25-million lawsuit against Dana over the issue.

True - Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia are all produced in North America and all three were part of the rusty frame recall. The primary issues were for those vehicles produced during 2004-2008, which were made with US steel produced by Dana Corp in Ohio. Toyota won a $25-million lawsuit against Dana over the issue.

Oh I did not know that.

Also Toyota for the most part is very honorable in replacing the frames. Clearly they didn't need to do that but they did. I can see others manufacturers give the finger and shrug their shoulders.

True dat....and that was a few years ago. She still drives it now with 375k miles. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if her Ol Dad could get it back but nooooooo.
Well, I finally got it back a few days ago.

I (we) got it the first time in Jan. of 2004 with 43k miles. I let the girls drive it for 18 years and 340k miles and now it’s mine. Then the very next day it went dead, replaced the fuel pump and all seems well for now. Think I’ll send the girls the bill.

EB80AF89-9B65-47AC-9D66-6110EE8907D2.jpeg

Turns out, the 100 series' starter is a lot easier to replace than 200 series' according to the Car Care Nut 😅 I'm glad I didn't buy a 200.

Turns out, the 100 series' starter is a lot easier to replace than 200 series' according to the Car Care Nut 😅 I'm glad I didn't buy a 200.

So true. I take a UZ over the UR. UZ starter is tucked away, protected, and designed for service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom