Any tips on reaching the oil filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a DV8 front bumper and I have to drop the skid plate portion of it to reach the oil filter. Does anyone have any tips to reach it? If I remove the screen in the factory engine skid plate, can I access it through the hole?

If removing a few fasteners is too difficult then maybe you should take it somewhere? ;)

I have Victory front bumper and RCI skids all the way. I find it easier to open the access hole in the skid to drain the oil (and lubricate the top side of my skid system at the same time :rolleyes:) while accessing the oil filter from the passenger's side wheel well with a long extension on a ratchet. Your unique setup may necessitate adaptation...

If removing a few fasteners is too difficult then maybe you should take it somewhere? ;)
Dropping the skid portion of this bumper is a huge pain in the ass. There are these tiny nuts you can barely reach, and you have to get it lined up while holding the plate up. Took me an over an hour to put it back on the last two times I've done it....so yeah...it's a bit more than removing a few fasteners. It's going to be just as big of a pain to whoever I'd take it to so more than likely the filter wouldn't get changed at all, and it's impossible to tell with this cartridge style filter.

I have Victory front bumper and RCI skids all the way. I find it easier to open the access hole in the skid to drain the oil (and lubricate the top side of my skid system at the same time :rolleyes:) while accessing the oil filter from the passenger's side wheel well with a long extension on a ratchet. Your unique setup may necessitate adaptation...
That's an interesting idea. It looks like there are a bunch of power steering lines in the way though. So, you take the wheel off, unscrew the cap with your extensions, and then are able to reach in with your hand for the filter?

That's an interesting idea. It looks like there are a bunch of power steering lines in the way though. So, you take the wheel off, unscrew the cap with your extensions, and then are able to reach in with your hand for the filter?
nope, just use your triple-jointed elbow, and carefully thread the extensions and filter housing cap through all the crap. A picture of your bumper and skid setup would help people understand where you're having issues.

Dropping the skid portion of this bumper is a huge pain in the ass. There are these tiny nuts you can barely reach, and you have to get it lined up while holding the plate up. Took me an over an hour to put it back on the last two times I've done it....so yeah...it's a bit more than removing a few fasteners. It's going to be just as big of a pain to whoever I'd take it to so more than likely the filter wouldn't get changed at all, and it's impossible to tell with this cartridge style filter.
Definitely dont take it to a shop. They will either screw up and lose fasteners or not change the filter at all.

I’m only hands-on familiar with the quick to remove oil filter access panel on my Budbuilt skids

Dropping the skid portion of this bumper is a huge pain in the ass. There are these tiny nuts you can barely reach, and you have to get it lined up while holding the plate up. Took me an over an hour to put it back on the last two times I've done it....so yeah...it's a bit more than removing a few fasteners.

Sounds like the designer DV8'ed from logical thinking and took the easy and cheap way out. I design for a living, and find there are a lot of designers that need a lot more hands on experience and a lot less screen time.

I’m only hands-on familiar with the quick to remove oil filter access panel on my Budbuilt skids

Yep. BudBuilt with the access door makes it very easy to change the filter. 👍

Can you post a picture? 'cause if there's no access panel in the skid, even if you remove the housing and filter from the side, the residual oil is just gonna create a huge mess on the top side of your skids. Seems you're stuck just pulling this off every time.

Last edited:
When you remove it, is it possible for you to drill an access hole?

Hey guys- finally getting around to changing my oil. THIS is the annoying bolt I'm referring to. The stock engine skid plate needs to come down to access the oil filter, but it won't come off until I lower the bumper skid plate, which means removing this bolt. It's drooped about as far as I can get it right here and the engine skid still can't come off. The problem is, you can barely touch the nut on the other side of this bolt with a single finger, let alone get a wrench on it. You have to line up two washers, push the bolt through, put the nut in and drop it about 20 times, fish it out with a magnet, start over, and the pecariously balance the nut over the hole while you geeeently start the bolt, all while holding the bumper skid plate up with your third hand because the bolt is not long enough to reach while drooped. Then you have to do it again on the other side. It's hours of swearing to get this damn thing back on. I guess my only real choice for now is to take an angle grinder to the factory engine skid, eh?

IMG_9581 2.jpg

Last edited:
Also...I'm never buying a DV8 product again. This is merely annoying, but it has other serious design flaws, like having the wings attached to body parts, and having the fairlead too high so the winch rope rubs against a sharp edge. The parking sensors also don't work. The instructions also leave out important and non-obvious steps, and the instructions for cutting the plastic are inaccurate. It looks cool and the build quality is also really good, but overall it's a POS.

Just a suggestion, and not knowing the diameter of the hole that bolt goes through in the frame, can you tap threads in the hole in the frame, drill out larger holes in the skid plate to slip a larger bolt through, then just get a larger bolt, thread and tighten the bolt to the frame. Do it on both sides.
No more trying to hold a nut on the back side!

I did it this way...
Is BudBuilt the best skid plate for oil filter access? Jesus did they put this thing in a terrible spot for an off-roader.

IMG_9582.jpg

I don't know what part the skid plate is bolted to so maybe it's not appropriate, but can you replace the nut with a rivnut that will stay in place? And maybe a longer bolt that's been ground down on the end to make it easier to find the rivnut?

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom