Any local head gasket gurus? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I fear the time has come for mine. Oil in coolant is getting worse as time progresses. Oddly enough I haven't had any overheating issues according to my scangauge, but I fear it is what it is. Could be the oil cooler, but figure that's something that would be addressed while the head is off anyway.

Anywho... I'd love to do this job myself, but I have a HOA nazi next door who would gladly shut me down as our town home does not have a garage to do the work in and the rules are what they are here.

I know it's not really a weekend job as the head needs to be machined and injectors shipped out. I just don't have the luxury of time and space right now. It is my DD, but I have roughly a 2 mile commute each way. I'll continue to monitor/drain refill coolant as it gets bad.

Is there a local place that is recommended? Would like to discuss my options/price.

You do know your in the SC Low Country forum? Lextech...

I talked to Terry McIntosh at Cars and Coffee a few weeks ago and he said he would be willing to work on any land cruiser. Give him a call...McIntosh Imports

You do know your in the SC Low Country forum? Lextech...
Hey Ben, Matt just moved here from Lexington. Met him today. Also, Glenn has informed me that he will no longer consider working on any TLC's older than the 100 Series. 80's are out... :frown:

I did mine in my own garage in the winter of 2015, and I took my time. It took me about 2 months of working on it on/off here and there. ( I didn't really have a set schedule - i probably worked on it on average 8 hours a week. I also did a LOT of other maintence during that time. I replaced literally every seal and gasket in the entire engine, including the oil pans.
I took the head to a local machine shop (simmons) and that took almost 4 weeks to get it back. The total job cost me close to $2k. The headwork was over $700 and the rest was parts and supplies. (ARP head studs alone were over $200, etc.) I also had to buy several tools that I did not have to get the job done (i.e. die grinder, high-quality torque wrench, etc. )

I shutter to think what a shop would charge to do it, probably over $3k if i had to guess. Lex-tech would probably be quite a bit more, as i find their rates to be somewhat high (but you get what you pay for )

I;ll be happy to give you any advice if you decide to do the job yourself, but it's far from a weekend job unless you know exactly what you're doing and have a machine shop in your backyard.

Also, Glenn has informed me that he will no longer consider working on any TLC's older than the 100 Series. 80's are out... :frown:
Not information i wanted to hear.... Guess im trading in the TLC when times comes.... No real interest to keep or fix anymore.... Its seen better days....

We usually charge around 2000-2300 depending on what hoses we replace. But we have the heads totally rebuilt with all Toyota parts. Maybe 1500 without the head rebuilt but I think that's a little silly considering your getting valves reshimed and new valve stem seals and magnafluxed and head decked.

ouch

Coming from someone who has done this job (with the motor out of the truck no less) $2300 is a hell of a good price for this. It is no small amoutn of work. I spent probably a week alone just cleaning and polishing my block deck. I realize not everyone would go to that level of detail, but the whole job is easily 30-40 hours of solid work.

We usually charge around 2000-2300 depending on what hoses we replace. But we have the heads totally rebuilt with all Toyota parts. Maybe 1500 without the head rebuilt but I think that's a little silly considering your getting valves reshimed and new valve stem seals and magnafluxed and head decked.

My cruiser couldnt survive a drive past the 26 & 95 intersection. Let alone the 9mpg would kill me

Thank you, sent a PM too.

I've done this repair twice and I agree on Marshalls price. It's an easy unbolt rebolt project (minus head shop work) but time consuming and if never done it can be stressful. All those coupled with not doing something right based on lack of experience and tearing down a second time makes that money look appealing for a well respected mechanic like Marshall.

More than disappointed that Glenn has moved on. Very few Toyota mechanics I know pass on the opportunity to work on these classics. It seems it's about moving cars through the bays.

What works for some may not work for others.

It is a shame...When I was turning wrenches, we just worked on whatever came in.
Some jobs made lots of money, some didn't.

My cruiser couldnt survive a drive past the 26 & 95 intersection. Let alone the 9mpg would kill me

I know a guy with a truck and a 24' aluminum car trailer. And I know the way to @Trollhole shop....

Glad to see some people still have FAITH in my TLC

Coming from someone who has done this job (with the motor out of the truck no less) $2300 is a hell of a good price for this. It is no small amoutn of work. I spent probably a week alone just cleaning and polishing my block deck. I realize not everyone would go to that level of detail, but the whole job is easily 30-40 hours of solid work.
I agree that 2k is a fair price.

The Toyota FSM and Haynes give good directions on doing HG repair. For 2,300 you are almost at the cost for a new motor. Napa is high but their motor is 3.6K. If I was going to keep the truck I would just repower.

Engine, Complete - Remfd

I have a new mechanic that I am not ready to share yet but he is starting to work on my LC's he has Porsche,volkswagen,audi,nascar background, and he has been doing a good job with what I have given him since I don't have time to work on all my cars and boats like I used too. With an older truck he doesn't like that the time to repair is hard to predict because usually there is rust and other broken stuff he ends up having to fix. I am fine with Glen moving on he always gave me good service and that is why I bought a GX 470, he doesn't have a problem working on them.

If i could get the TLC out of hands and $ in my hand id be more happy... but everyone wants everything for free now a days..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom