Any issues with the Aisin water pumps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, about to order a timing belt and water pump kit, but I'm reading some complaints about early pump failures. Is this a known recent problem with the Aisin kits, or maybe a just user error thing that's becoming internet folklore?

Aisin is what Toyota puts in at the factory. It’s the best you can buy. I’d wager that most “early” failures were because of installer error or they weren’t actually “early” relative to timing belt service interval.

Thanks!

I buy Aisin products instead of Toyota, same exact quality for less price. You might be surprise to see that the W/P would have a spot that was grinded were the TOYOTA badge would be and they just leave the Aisin. :cheers:

don't trust everything is Aisin on amazon.

Aisin is owned by Toyota and they make the mechanical parts such as transmissions, locking hubs, water pumps, diesel pumps, thermostats, clutch/pressureplate, clutch and brake pumps etc., for toyota. Denso is the Toyota's electrical division.

Aisin and Denso also make parts for other manufacturers. They also sell separately from Toyota.
The quality of a Denso or Aisin is NOT 100% as a part labelled as TOYOTA, however, I find NO issues using denso or Aisin labelled part.

Here is an example: Honda's use Denso alternators and last 100K miles, the repair involves many new parts, however, a Toyota-Denso alternator can go easy 230K miles and the only failing part is brushes.

Always buy from a reputed seller. Chinese counterfeit parts are all over the internet. People who have bad experience with AISIN for sure went with the cheapest "aisin" availabe. I have AISIN on all 3 of my toyota's and still works like a charm. No issue what so ever!

Last edited:
A lot of people here have bought those cheap eBay / Amazon kits and they desperately want to think that they got OE equivalent parts, but there's just no way at that price ($170 +/-) which includes shipping and of course a profit for the seller. The 2 idler pulleys alone cost that much at the dealer. I suspect that if you buy an Aisin labeled water pump at Rock Auto, or other reputable seller, that you are getting an OE equivalent but those aren't much cheaper than the dealer water pump. There is an inherent flaw in the logic of wanting to replace everything while you are "in there", because you don't want to have to go "in there" again - and then doing it with sub-standard parts that often have shorter life than the used OE part that you took out. Some of these OE parts have extremely long lives, e.g. both million mile Tundras needed only one replacement water pump in a million miles.

I buy Aisin products instead of Toyota, same exact quality for less price. You might be surprise to see that the W/P would have a spot that was grinded were the TOYOTA badge would be and they just leave the Aisin. :cheers:
It's not exactly the same... but it's good enough and the savings are worth it for most people.

last year took my new Aisin pump (kit from amazon) to my dealer, while I picked up a few misc parts. He brought up Toyota WP in box for side by side comparison. Both units had identical mold nub imperfections inside the water cavity area. 99.9% sure they came off same mold. If you're a first timer, clean the block surface, clean again, then clean it again and use proper torque.

last year took my new Aisin pump (kit from amazon) to my dealer, while I picked up a few misc parts. He brought up Toyota WP in box for side by side comparison. Both units had identical mold nub imperfections inside the water cavity area. 99.9% sure they came off same mold. If you're a first timer, clean the block surface, clean again, then clean it again and use proper torque.
Proper torque is key. The bolts and nuts are not uniform torque spec.

don't trust everything is Aisin on amazon.

A lot of people here have bought those cheap eBay / Amazon kits and they desperately want to think that they got OE equivalent parts, but there's just no way at that price ($170 +/-)

Ah, that might be the deal...doesn't surprise me at all that there are fakes, they don't seem to have any real control over their inventory and they don't seem to care

Did the 2UZFE get an improved water pump gasket after the initial production run? I see the a metal and rubber gasket that looks like an updated gasket for some other Toyota engines from the same period.

A lot of people here have bought those cheap eBay / Amazon kits and they desperately want to think that they got OE equivalent parts, but there's just no way at that price ($170 +/-) which includes shipping and of course a profit for the seller. The 2 idler pulleys alone cost that much at the dealer. I suspect that if you buy an Aisin labeled water pump at Rock Auto, or other reputable seller, that you are getting an OE equivalent but those aren't much cheaper than the dealer water pump. There is an inherent flaw in the logic of wanting to replace everything while you are "in there", because you don't want to have to go "in there" again - and then doing it with sub-standard parts that often have shorter life than the used OE part that you took out. Some of these OE parts have extremely long lives, e.g. both million mile Tundras needed only one replacement water pump in a million miles.

EXACTLY RIGHT and APPLIES ONLY TO TOYOTAS

I once did a T-belt job on a 02 Taco owned by a friend of mine. He bought cheap parts off of ebay. I refused to install those conterfeit Chinese parts (bearings/oil seals/thermostat/waterpump etc), except the timing belt as a 5vzfe is non inteference engine! He has driven 30K miles and no issues. If I install those cheap Chinese parts, I will be doing another T-belt job by now!

Scotty Kilmer recently showed a 98 Lexus GS 300 with 200+K miles with OEM T-belt components!

There sure is a wide variation in price in these kits:

Rock Auto: $165

Amazon:$174 (sounds like consensus is to steer clear) Amazon product ASIN B008EEYWKI
Summit (who I've always trusted): $202

NAPA: $285

Amazon can be sketchy and eBay of course is full of counterfeit stuff, but the others are legit sites, that's like a 72% jump from Rock Auto to NAPA, what's the deal?

I used an Amazon-sources TKT-021 (Aisin) timing belt kit. The pump looked a little off but I didn't think anything of it. There was also the chance that maybe the gasket got roughed up in skipping.

In either case, it appears that I've had a failure of the gasket after 1,000 miles since the replacement. Hopefully I can find a smoking gun when I have it all apart, but I'll be replacing the Aisin stuff with Toyota.

PXL_20200926_214210568.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom