Any interest in quarter panel armor for the FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll watch with interest, I could use something to cover up my smashed rear quarters, before I just drill some holes and run some tube tied to my cage.

Would there be any interest in quarter panel armor for the 80-series?

A friend of mine just started selling these for the 3rd gen 4Runner and is willing to work with me on a setup for our stuff if there is interest. 10ga plate steel.

View attachment 2561404

I'm thinking VHB tape might be sufficient for mounting?

Thoug

I’m interested in a set if they come out similar to @jcardona1’s rear quarter protection. Do you have an idea of price?

I’m interested in a set if they come out similar to @jcardona1’s rear quarter protection. Do you have an idea of price?
I’m interested in @jcardona1 rear protection as well. This area seems to be in constant jeopardy on the trail. It’s just a matter of time until it takes significant damage. I’ve been looking for significant protection, but there’s not much available.

not yet; It's more likely to be a summer project for me.

Did you ever get a chance to work on this? I put some proper dents in my rear quarter this weekend. If there were an option available, I would order. 🍻

Did you ever get a chance to work on this? I put some proper dents in my rear quarter this weekend. If there were an option available, I would order. 🍻

cool - It's in queue for this fall/winter. (along with a handful of other 80 stuff)

Yes, for the third time… but only if it comes with suction cups.

Ronny Dahl runs something like what is depicted in 1st post. But his are magnetic and appear to be made of Kydex.

edit: Any chance those could be an option @eimkeith? :hmm:

Last edited:
I've been interested in quarter panel protection for a while. My truck is monstalined, gets wheeled and looks are not an issue. I'm definitely interested to see what you come up with. The taillight housing reinforcement definitely sounds like a good middle ground, even if they're shaped to fit ones like @jcardona1 is running. I'm already running your PCK and looking forward to adding the RAM upgrade this winter. Might as well tack on tail-end protection as well...

First thought is I like the thought of armour when I say the weed growth out here in the deserts is tough, and I mean tough, the screech you hear as you push your way through puts your teeth on edge! Being as careful as I can I have one damage being taken into a trial by someone who never had a clue meant damaging a wheel and tipping a tree into the rear quarter, and apart from pulling one of the front quarter bumpers of (designed to be sacrificial anyway) and a buckled step I have not done bad in the twelve years I have had the 80. So yes armour sounds great but a few important points have been made, the stand offs mean you would have to have the armour all the way along, this would save an edge getting caught on it and perhaps moving the panel and distorting the OE panel underneath, and as per @mudgudgeon comment that rubbish can get trapped behind them, and of course as mentioned, once you start adding up the cost for protecting both sides along the complete length of the 80 the cost is going to add up.

If I did not dual purpose my car and it was used purely for rock crawling/off road on a regular basis I 'might' consider it.......but only might.

Regards

Dave

Any news on this @eimkeith ?
not yet - I just got 3ph to the shop this month, and everything is being wired. It should be functional, and all my project vehicles moved in and set up by mid-December so I can get back to work! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom