Any interest in quarter panel armor for the FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eimkeith

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
eimkeith.com
Would there be any interest in quarter panel armor for the 80-series?

A friend of mine just started selling these for the 3rd gen 4Runner and is willing to work with me on a setup for our stuff if there is interest. 10ga plate steel.

132212874_843214696221680_1168021268433233617_n.jpg

I'm thinking VHB tape might be sufficient for mounting?

Thoughts?

Not for me, but I’d love aluminum diamond for the lower half of the belt line, like the old Maddog Offroad stuff.

It would make life easier on the LX450 crowd who want to declad.

I understand that it’s taboo on a 40.

View attachment 2561415
was that stuff installed with tape? I don't see where they used fasteners in their FB photos..

Until it traps water behind it and rusts it out the body panels.

Until it traps water behind it and rusts it out the body panels.
There are easy ways to deal with that; I’d probably opt for drain channels if using tape, or standoffs if bolted (his 4Runner plate goes with the stand-off approach)

Last edited:
There are easy ways to deal with that; I’d probably opt to drain channels if using tape, or standoffs if bolted (his 4Runner plate goes with the stand-off approach)
The standoffs can then act as a punch if impacted.

Just wanted to point it out for those thinking about it.

There are easy ways to deal with that; I’d probably opt to drain channels if using tape, or standoffs if bolted (his 4Runner plate goes with the stand-off approach)
if 1/8" thick, maybe 1" wide, strips of VHB are used in a vertical manner, should be no issues with retaining water?

The standoffs can then act as a punch if impacted.

Just wanted to point it out for those thinking about it.
No, I appreciate the input - the "standoffs" are the shoulder of the rivnuts - so about 1/16" The advantage to bolting is ease of removal for cleaning behind it, however.

if 1/8" thick, maybe 1" wide, strips of VHB are used in a vertical manner, should be no issues with retaining water?

Until the channels clog up with dirt and mud.
Unless you spend hours hosing it out.

Edit : working in Construction, I've removed many a flat aluminium sign from exterior walls that are stuck on with tape. They ALWAYS have a heap of grime, leaves, dust, dirt behind them, even in places where you'd think there's no way they'd collect dirt
I see this a like a car bra

download (18).jpeg

People fit then to protect the paint, then they trap dust and grime, then they chafe and cause damage to what they are supposedly protecting

Last edited:
No, I appreciate the input - the "standoffs" are the shoulder of the rivnuts - so about 1/16" The advantage to bolting is ease of removal for cleaning behind it, however.

By the time you bolt protection on to a panel, you've kind of already destroyed the pristine nature of it. And in terms of appearance, its no longer soccermom pretty.

Just roll with rock rash. Chick's dig it. Dings are like scratches but with cooler stories.

was that stuff installed with tape? I don't see where they used fasteners in their FB photos..
I believe they were riveted or screwed into the body panels and they ran a bead of black silicon on the perimeter.

Very few folks bought them before they went out of production.

The FJC was unique as it had crappy plastic rocker trim that looked awful when removed. Also the side panels bubbled out and the doors were dent magnets.

I found the original thread. Same talking points as this one.

Would there be any interest in quarter panel armor for the 80-series?

There's always interest. Until it's actually available and ready for sale. Then they run for the hills.

I wanted an option for years until I finally ponied up the cash to have a custom one-off built by a local shop. Been one of my favorite mods so far. No more broken taillights.

2xgRDtnh.jpg

There's always interest. Until it's actually available and ready for sale. Then they run for the hills.

I wanted an option for years until I finally ponied up the cash to have a custom one-off built by a local shop. Been one of my favorite mods so far. No more broken taillights.

2xgRDtnh.jpg
Damn! that's Brutalism at its height! Bumper is proper, also.

The trail lights are what needs protection.
I would be intrested if they look & fit correctly.
Have you seen the quater panel mod thread?
Ill find it...

Last edited:
Until the channels clog up with dirt and mud.
Unless you spend hours hosing it out.

Edit : working in Construction, I've removed many a flat aluminium sign from exterior walls that are stuck on with tape. They ALWAYS have a heap of grime, leaves, dust, dirt behind them, even in places where you'd think there's no way they'd collect dirt
I see this a like a car bra

View attachment 2561497

People fit then to protect the paint, then they trap dust and grime, then they chafe and cause damage to what they are supposedly protecting
well, I appreciate the input - but the car bra analogy is a little off; bras caused paint damage from buffeting, mostly. :) (80s highschooler here - intimate with bras)

well, I appreciate the input - but the car bra analogy is a little off; bras caused paint damage from buffeting, mostly. :) (80s highschooler here - intimate with bras)
LOL. I had a Le Bra on my 1984 Firebird. It didn’t damage the black paint because it was extremely tight fitting.

I used it to hide those ugly slotted grill inserts on the pre-1985s. I should have let Spicoli borrow it.

LOL. I had a Le Bra on my 1984 Firebird. It didn’t damage the black paint because it was extremely tight fitting.

I used it to hide those ugly slotted grill inserts on the pre-1985s. I should have let Spicoli borrow it.
I love this - in for pictures. (I was a Triumph guy at the time, had a bra also)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom