Antenna mast broken off, which guide do I follow?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by alkaline747trio, Jul 28, 2005.

1. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Ordered the replacement $30 mast from CDan, but can't figure out which walk-through I am suposed to look at and follow to replace it. The nylon cable may or may not be stripped, but the antenna is broken off at the base. This is in a 92, aftermarket radio, if it matters.

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I'm not sure either. I've done 2 93's and a 97 but I don't know if the 92 is different. I'd say remove the bezel, have someone run the antenna up and see if the entire plastic cable comes out in your hand. If so, you're in business - feed the new one back in as instructed for the 93/4. If it's broken off and doesn't all come out, you'll be pulling the motor out the hole in the inner fender to open it up anyhow. HTH.

DougM

3. Rogorn

Rogorn

I have a '93 LC (original owner, 164k). Family members have snapped off or bent the antenna mast three times now. First replacement was an after-market which did not work well due to poor fit.

From that experience, I considered only the dealer replacement part viable. Neither the original nor the dealer replacement power antena took a mast "cartridge/refill". Forced to replace the entire assembly. (Unlike my '91 Celica) The antenna "refill" idea is so much easier and less costly.

I'm surprised to see that IdahoDoug's reference to a replaceable unit for the '93, maybe I was sold the wrong part from the dealer after I decided the after-market product was a bad idea. Maybe they made a switch mid-year, my '93 was purchased in March of that year.

4. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

I just replace the ant. mast of my '94 yesterday (wouldn't full retract). I was not patient enough and almost screwed it up. I only saw a cable, off white and a couple mm in diameter, that screws into the antenna mast assembly.

I don't know if the FJ80 has the same mount, but what I did was:

1)With masking tape wrapped pliers, I loosened the ant. nut.

2)My arms are long enough that I could extend the ant. and hold on to it at the same time. Otherwise a second person or some other mechanism to prevent the antenna from falling and scratching the body.

3)Using two pair of needle nose pliers, I loosend the little nut (part of the antenna mast assemble that screws into the cable) from the cable, then unscrewed the rest of the mast.

4)Reverse order with the new mast.

I wish I had not been so impatient, it would have saved me some time. I had hoped for better reception, but alas I'll have to settle for an antenna that fully extends and retracts.

Good luck
    Ross

5. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Well, the cable seems to be cut off with about 1/3rd it's length. There was no end to screw onto the end of the new mast, so this must mean whole new assembly, or can I just buy the nylon cable?

6. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

I don't know, but hopefully not a whole unit. Does the motor still run?

Ross

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Rogorn,

Sounds like your dealer preferred to sell you the mega buck solution instead of the $25 new mast.

I've replaced the entire plastic cable on the 97, but both 93 replacements required only the metal mast to be screwed onto the cable as Ross describes. But I'd bet there is also a replacement for the plastic cable for your 93 available rather than having to buy an entire unit. I didn't know Cdan was on vacation, but it's worth the wait for him to get back and provide the correct part.

DougM

8. Rogorn

Rogorn

IdahoDoug, that is very good to know.

As $$ are short, this last time, the broken antenna has gone "unrepaired" as I haven't been able to earmark $200 for the entire motor/antenna assembly from the dealer.

I'll certainly be having a "discussion" with Cdan in the near future as I also need the Toyota FSM for our LC. It has some "issues" which will need resolving. The Chilton's and Haynes aftermarket manuals I have are real lightweights, if not downright mis-leading at times.

I have the Toyota FSM for my Celica and daughter's Camry. They are indispensible, particularly when doing rebuilds... not to mention, fun to read! ;)

9. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    if the cable to mast bolt is broken, the replacement cable from a late 80s camry works but you have to trim the cable to the same length. Dan sold me one and it is in right now. For some reason it clanks on me now and then but it is exactly the same cable as stock and bolts onto the replacement mast perfectly.

you can also buy the cable/mast combo from an 85 4runner. it is not perfect (sometimes sticks the last 2 inches when retracting) but it is half the cost of a new mast and camry cable. i had this for 2 years without issues before going to the camry cable. One thing I notice is the 85 antenna is shorter so at full extension it does not hit the roof in parking garages as my stock one does.

10. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Well, I will keep a lookout for CDan to get back, if there is a replacement nylon cable. Are all the antenna assemblies the same 91-97?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.