91-94 Power Antenna Mast Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tackled replacing the mast on my 94 LC today. The PO had it through the carwash with the antenna up. It's only a job if it's just the mast that needs replacing. The only tools needed were a mini-needle nose pliers and a pair of linesman pliers. When you order the parts from CDan (and you should order them through CDan), you'll receive 2 pieces. (see pic 1) To begin, I extended the mast to it's full length. I used the needle nose pliers to loosen the crown nut. (see pic 2)
Once loosened, it was easily removed by hand and lifted over the antenna. Next, remove the rubber grommet and lift it over the antenna. At this point, the antenna should pull out by lifting it straight up. (see pic 3) If the nylon wire is still intact, the rest of the job is fairly easy. If not, you'll have to check the other threads for help. I was lucky and mine was still intact.
Parts.jpg
Crown Nut.jpg
Pulled Out.jpg

Last edited:
I collapsed the antenna as much as I could until I could see the nut connecting the nylon and the mast. (see pic 1) What I didn't realize initially was that there are actually two nuts, one large and one small. (see pics 2 and 3) I couldn't get the nut to unscrew despite several attempts involving several types of pliers and WD-40. What eventually worked for me was using a pair of wire cutters to cut the tip off of the antenna, sliding all of the lower sections off of the top section (which is about the diameter of a clothes hanger wire), and then putting a 90-degree bend in the top section. I then grasped the larger (the bottom) nut with a linesman pliers and just rotated the top section using the bent piece as a handle. Piece of cake. You then connect the two pieces of the new antenna by sliding the small one over the large one. The black grommet should be away from the red bottom of the antenna. I used the mini-needlenose pliers to move the small nut down the thread at the bottom of the mast about three turns. Thread the mast into the nut on the end of the nylon piece and then use the mini-pliers to snug the small nut against the large nut. You may have to unscrew the mast and adjust the position of the small nut in order to get the best fit. Once the nuts are secure, I fed the antenna down into the barrel of the antenna motor until it was snug, slid the rubber grommet over the mast until it was snug against the fender, and then replaced the crown nut. I just used the mini-pliers to secure the crown nut. I then lowered the antenna and raised it to check for proper function. It was all good.
Double Nut.jpg
Small Nut.jpg
Large Nut.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone should need to remove the antenna body, it's fairly simple. There is one plug and one screw that have to be removed. (see pic 1) Don't worry about dropping the antenna body into the fender cavity. As long as the antenna cord is intact, you can pull it back out.
DSC01837.jpg

This was very helpful. I also ran into a problem while removing the old antenna from the both nuts. When I made a 90 degree angle, I actually over torqued the screw, causing it to snap. So, I was left with about 1 mm to loosen the nuts. After 5 minutes and a couple pliers, I was able to remove the small one. The rest was simple.

On my rig, some "kind" car wash attendant jammed the non-func mast back into the fender leading to (a) a broken plastic cable (b) cable all jammed up in the metal housing.

I used CDan's "Camry parts mod" and got it all back together again. I had to take the motor out and apart to replace the metal drum that holds the other end of the plastic cable and the cable itself. New mast as well. Took about two hours, mainly because I didn't realize the cable was all jammed up in there and couldn't get things back together again. Had I known it would have been about 45 min. tops.

Working like a champ now !!

OMG! You have no idea how much this helped me! Sully, thank you so much for the post.

Sully, ditto! All total it took me about 30 minutes, gathering tools etc. Fortunately the nut holding the antenna down was only finger tight anyway. I could see that my nylon was slightly damaged from the previous break but it still looks plenty strong.

If you hadn't provided the tip on cutting the top of the old antenna off I would have been hours at this project. Thanks!!!

Great job I was waiting for someone to do this
You are the man
Thanks

I got the parts and tried mine a few weeks ago but gave up and put it back together with the old stuff. The nylon cable was broken, and I couldn't figure out how to remove the motor assembly. I unplugged the connector and removed the screw so it was loose in there, but I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the antenna cable. It didn't feel like there was any way to unplug it. Any help?

Also, I just got the mast assembly from CDan. Do I need more parts for the broken nylon cable?

when i gave this a whirl i broke some bits inside the actual motor trying to replace the existing cable, either way i was not able to figure out a way of unpluging the antenna cable either fyi perhaps someone will chime in!

Back before I found MUD I too was having difficulty "unplugging" the antenna cable, so I gave up. The reason I was having trouble is that it cannot be unplugged as far as I know. You have to unbolt the unit and swing it out of the fender. You should have enough room to wrench on it with it still being connected to the fender via the antenna cable.

However, this is only from my 97 FZJ80 experience. I have not torn apart our 93 antenna which is currently stuck in the up position. I think I may do the tacoma mod? where you install a fixed antenna whenever I get around to it.

Just did mine and it was a snap took 15 minutes.
Having the power antenna back is so nice.
Thanks Sully
Now hopefully I won't break this one:doh:

Note to self: go to woods= antenna down, antenna down, antenna down, push button :cheers:

For those with broken cables this is what I did.....

• Disappointed you can't disconnect the coax from antenna
  • Fishing that cable behind the glove box, plus airbags, etc was not going to happen for me.
  • Sourced a good antenna, mast and motor
  • Hit Radio Shack for a FM antenna female end ($2)
  • Removed old antenna, mast, motor combo and cut antenna coax at base of antenna
  • Crimped FM antenna female end onto cut cable (basic crimpers needed or by a solder style end).
  • Install antenna and plug into new female end.
You end up with a slough of cable in your fender but makes for a 15 minute job at $2 + price of antenna.

Great Thread.

Mine broke because of heavy ice fog in Kansas. Yes Ice Fog. I drove thru it for at least 100 miles and it did my ant. in.

Grouseman

Last edited:
Great thread

Thanks for this thread. It gave me what I needed to get the antenna done In about 15 minutes, mostly it took confidence and some good instruction. Echo what was said about CDan, call him and get the mast from him, really. The aftermarket ones are not what you need. Don't know if they would work or not, never bought one, but CDan sent the correct part inthe first try. When you get the old antenna out, put some gas pliers on the ball end and needle nose on the cable end and crank away, they will come apart, it just take a lot of crank'n.

'94 fj80 in the costal desert of SoCal

Currently stuck here. How or where or what do I rig this with. Found a 5" piece of antenna cable that snapped inside of base. Is it being a little short going to affect anything or cause it to snap again.

image.jpeg

***Thread Resurrection Alert***

Well damn. I just ordered a replacement mast (86337-60040) only to find that my cable was broken further down. So I ordered part number 86337-60080 which is the same part but with the cable attached. I’ll go through the rewind process when I get it.

Pictures to follow for anyone trying to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom