Antenna install questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just bent my mast yesterday, so of course this is the first place I come to look for help!

Just a thought:
Could the whole teeth front face/back face issue stem from the manual having been written for the Right hand drive version?

Just pulled my motor out and took it apart to remove the pieces with help from the tips on this thread. My motor seems to be working, but considering replacing the whole unit with a manual mast. Here's what you'll find inside:

mast_IMG_5066.jpg

Anyone have a wrench to remove the antenna nut they want to sell?
Needle nosed pliers worked OK for me...gently.

Steve

Anyone have a wrench to remove the antenna nut they want to sell?

I had to replace the whole assembly a few months back. A microfiber rag wrapped around it and needle nose pliers worked fine for me. Just be gentle!

I used a spanner wrench, similar to this one.

Does anyone have the Toyota p/n for those fender clips?

Sounds like I'm all but guaranteed to break most of them removing the fender liner, so I should probably just buy a bunch of them at the same time I order the replacemrnt mast.

-G

Does anyone have the Toyota p/n for those fender clips?

Sounds like I'm all but guaranteed to break most of them removing the fender liner, so I should probably just buy a bunch of them at the same time I order the replacemrnt mast.

-G

I ordered 2pks of these because they can go it several locations around the vehicle including one mounting point for each headlight.
image.jpg

I had good luck using two flat screw drivers to pop the inner pins (one on each side). Did not break any. Be careful and go slow and you should be fine.

Just got through with replacing the antenna mast on my 2002 LC and I'd have to say the instruction and advice provided in this thread made the job as easy as pie :)
  • The teeth in the white plastic drive line should face forward. No question there.
  • It helps to have someone turn the radio off while you hold the assembly steady
  • After the motor initially grabs the drive line, put the crown screw back on tightly before going up and down the with antenna.

--can confirm lhommec13's advice, after you've removed the broken pieces, these steps worked perfectly on my 99:
1. have someone assist from the cab, turn radio on
2. feed wand, teeth forward (make sure you have the nut on the mast prior to installing)
3. turn radio off, wand will feed in quickly
4. tighten nut

Can the power antenna be easily swapped with a manual antenna? Something like the "whip style" OEM antenna found on the Tacoma and many other Yotas?

Thanks!

It doesn't look like this question has been answered, and I have it as well. I'm looking at buying a LC which the antenna is snapped off and there's no sign of life from the motor. I'd prefer to forego replacing it with another fragile automatic antenna and put a whip on like the Tacoma. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Just replaced the mast on my '04 after a brain fart visit to the car wash. Antennamastsrus.com via Amazon. Had it in 2 days free shipping, used a mini-screwdriver and small hammer to remove the nut. slid the old one out smoothly (unbroken) and slid in the new one with teeth forward. Smooth as glass and mucho thanks too all in this thread!

Just replaced this myself - does everyone else's pop up about 6 inches when the stereo turns on after installation? It feeds in completely when turning off the truck.

Not sure If I have some play or not on the intake of the toothed bit.

The antenna on mine, if lowered all the way, sticks up a few inches if that is the question. Off, it's all the way down to the grommet.

When I try to remove the old antenna it will not move. I feel tension and what assume is the motor not letting going. I noticed on the how to it says negative battery should be connected. Does this mean I need to remove the positive to allow the motor to release the old antenna?

The mast should be all you need. I purchased one of the cheaper masts off eBay a few months ago, it lasted one month! Just ordered the Toyota replacement. $53 at Norwalk Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom