Another Winch Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Outside of getting stuck in deep snow my winch wil not be used for "extreme" recoveries. More thatn likely it will be used to haul logs closer to the rig for wood cutting or pulling the duck boat out of the river in unimproved ares. What do you all think about winch sudgestions for these purposes. Would the 9000 series warns be sufficient?

Thanks,

Fly Rod

Yup, should work just fine.

I have an Warn 8274 on a 1/2 Cab Bronco and use it all the time in the fashion you describe.

For the type of chores you mention the 9000 will be more than enough.

It should also serve you well for vehicle recovery/extraction if not too severe!

I have a 9000 on my Tacoma - and was running trails in northern AZ a few weeks ago. Many trees down along the trail, the 9000 worked perfectly, with all the power we needed to get the trees off the trail.

Since it will be used for guiding, I think bigger might be better. If you have a couple of clients and you can't get out, the $250 savings will seem pretty small.

The guides that have impressed me the most (have gotten repeat business) have everything under control. Calling for a tow truck/friend after a day of fishing would not be the highlight of most client's trip.

rgsiii,

Agreed, as a guide you must always appear under control, even if you are about to crap your pants after tapping that unexpected rock a little hard! :eek: :doh: Fortunately most of my trips start and end at established ramps. It is the winter trips that go out back and I have been forced to walk a ways by trees down across the road. It is certainly more of an "experience" (read better story) for the client if they can tell about winching trees to get into the spot they caught the big one. :cheers:

Fly Rod

Fly, you know best what your "worst case" scenario is likely to be, so pick a winch accordingly.

The 9000 series are pretty healthy winches, and if 8/9 K. won't get you out then just use a "good" snatch block to double your pulling power (it will be slower).

A good battery, alternator, and proper installation are key to good winch performance as well.

For those that anticipate getting "really stuck" or need to negotiate very steep angles for long distances then a 12,000 makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom