Another starter thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i guess i can report after ruling out other possibilities starter is dead and my mechanic confirmed it... 2010 LX 128K.
Since we all know this is a common failure on the 200 series between 120-150k
I was just thinking why would i go for OEM starter if it only lasted 128k.
Would it be a smart move to go with a denso instead? Or is the OEM supplied by denso?
No different than the radiator issue why go OEM if they are known to last about the same.
Also with the water pump?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the link tonyp the picture in there that kurt had posted answers my question.
It appears that the oem starter is denso and interestingly the new smaller version shows toyota.

They both show Toyota and Denso ...

20171023_140144-jpg.1560835

HTH

You'll be glad it's smaller when you go to install it :D

Thanks for the link tonyp the picture in there that kurt had posted answers my question.
It appears that the oem starter is denso and interestingly the new smaller version shows toyota.

Just to be clear:

LC200Starters_15JAN18_zpsr1nzapos.jpg

HTH

Ooooh, weight savings mod!

20180117_130228.jpg
20180117_130359.jpg

New starter arrived today $370 to my door
From camelback toyota no tax free shipping
Took 1 day from az. To las vegas.
Fyi my local dealer quoted me $576

I checked Cool Springs Toyota and they were $350 to my door. Think I might do this also.

I’m all about leaving parts in till they fail... unless Toyota themselves finds there’s good enough reason to make newer versions.

I was kinda upset at first lol...but I guess better to happen near the house than some
Place far out of town where you have no choice other than having it towed to a dealership and ruin your vacation,worse
Would be a place like ouray Colorado in one of the trails.

Definitely going to do the waterpunp and radiator next.

Mine just went Tango Utah without warning. 2008 125k. At the dealer, going to check on the new part #.

Curious, does anyone know what the root cause for the starter failure is? My starter went out in my old Camry and I found out it was due to the copper contacts wearing down and not making a good contact. Ordered up a rebuild kit and swapped out the contacts, which worked like a charm. Maybe this also applies to our starters?

I tested the starter relay, and used a remote start switch and tested the start signal going to the starter and all seemed good.

After reading through several tundra threads, the common culprit seems to be the solenoid that sits piggyback on the starter.
I can't find anything else it could be.

I replaced mine with an Autozone starter that worked great....for a day. I'm in the process of installing a remanufactured Denso (original equipment) starter from Napa. The autozone was 155, the denso 251, and from dealership $356. I recommend the Denso, just because it took 7+ hours the first time to swap out the part. it isnt technically difficult, but every nut and bolt is a pain in the @$$ to get to.
If you are stuck and need to move the truck, there is a fairly simple technique to "bypass" the solenoid.

DIY starter saver. 5.7 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

I did this to get my truck home. it works, and simultaneously proves that the solenoid is the culprit.

hope this helps.

I went through this a while ago. I live an hour from the nearest dealership (which happens to be camelback Toyota). So I tried to source the part locally. autozone had one in stock. 3 miles from home. Napa was next closest and remanned Denso has been holding up nicely so far with 40K miles on it.

Toyota quoted me 7-9 hours and then said find a trusted independent shop to do that job at a lower hourly rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom