Builds Project Fauxverlander 200 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple questions about your tablet/HAM setup. What mounting system did you use? Also what navigation app is that on the tablet?

That is a RAM mount, I've attached several of the 1" ball mounts to the dash. The mount is specific to the iPad Air II. The software itself is the HEMA Explorer app. I've been using their software for a handful of years, Aus, Africa, CenAm and most recently we used it for South America :cool:

IMG_2489.jpg

That is a RAM mount, I've attached several of the 1" ball mounts to the dash. The mount is specific to the iPad Air II. The software itself is the HEMA Explorer app. I've been using their software for a handful of years, Aus, Africa, CenAm and most recently we used it for South America :cool:

View attachment 1520081

I know the 'stralians rave about HEMA. I've been thinking of trying it but I've had good success with Backcountry Navigator so far. I wish you could download map sections larger than 4gb with BCN (I have all of Baja downloaded but it's in 20 different files at the highest resolution). I think that's more of an Android issue than BCN itself.

How do the HEMA offline maps work?

I know the 'stralians rave about HEMA. I've been thinking of trying it but I've had good success with Backcountry Navigator so far. I wish you could download map sections larger than 4gb with BCN (I have all of Baja downloaded but it's in 20 different files at the highest resolution). I think that's more of an Android issue than BCN itself.

How do the HEMA offline maps work?

You have to download them, but the sky is the limit and I have dozens of map options to choose from when downloading. Utah for example I'll download the 7.5 & 100k maps of an area, sometimes the satellite too. Space is only limited by your device.

You have to download them, but the sky is the limit and I have dozens of map options to choose from when downloading. Utah for example I'll download the 7.5 & 100k maps of an area, sometimes the satellite too. Space is only limited by your device.

Interesting. I'll have to pick your brain on a few topics if I make it to the BBQ.

Unfortunately Hema Explorer for Android only has a 2.4 rating and hasn't been updated since last year despite bugs. Hema is obviously not allocating any resources to the NA market at this time.

Unfortunately Hema Explorer for Android only has a 2.4 rating and hasn't been updated since last year despite bugs. Hema is obviously not allocating any resources to the NA market at this time.

I'm optimistic they will get their game rocking. I'm running some test stuff that is a game changer for me and I hope they get it launched soon.

That is a RAM mount, I've attached several of the 1" ball mounts to the dash. The mount is specific to the iPad Air II.

Did you mount the balls by drilling directly in to the trip pieces or did you use something less permanent like VHB tape or the RAM mount bladder?

Did you mount the balls by drilling directly in to the trip pieces or did you use something less permanent like VHB tape or the RAM mount bladder?

They are hard mounted using screws, washers and nylocs. The trim price is easily replaced down the road and I'll have this for years to come so I'm not stressed about drilling some holes. They work really well, we were flogging the truck this last weekend and the iPad held nicely.

Click - Click - Click

That dreaded sound when you try to fire up. I had been running all morning and have a fresh battery so I know it wasn't the battery. We did some quick diagnosis and sure enough it was a starter failure. 113k and a starter... boo!

To make matters worse, much worse is that we were in a very remote desert spot far from access with a trailer or tow truck. @dmc, @SteveJackson & Devin were prepared to to me back to pavement where @ilean was willing too meet us with a trailer. We tried a last ditch effort and I was able to have Devin push the start button while I held a long prybar onto a starter lead from underneath while DMC made a connection on the battery, bypassing the starter solenoid function. She fired!

I drove straight home, hit the car wash and into my shop. All accounts of changing a starter is a PITA, requiring removal of the tail pipe, cats, exhaust manifold and heat shields, just to access the starter. We strategically skipped a few steps and left the manifold and tail pipe in place. It was tight but it worked! The original starters all supersede to a newer number that is actually a bit smaller than the original so that helped with the re-install. All in about 4 hours, could do another one tomorrow in 2 or so.

While I have it in the shop, I've changed the oil and finishing up the HAM install as I'll be taking this to Baja, MX this year as a support rig for the Canguro Racing team. While I'll miss rallying the 100 through Mexico, the comfort and amazing Off-road ride of the 200 will be most welcome.

This is where she died, perhaps a bad place for vehicles?

20171022_111729.jpg

Tested, sure enough a bad solenoid

20171023_121609.jpg

Ready for the swap

20171023_121623.jpg

New vs. old starters

20171023_140144.jpg

Wow that sucks! It’s a good thing you had the tools, knowledge and support to get it home! Is there any warning at all before it goes or does it just happen? Should this be a preventative maintenance thing at a certain mileage and/or age?

Great question. Zero warming, absolutely zero. Started fine 1000 times before and then we tried it another 100 and nothing. Smacked on the starter as best I could access and nothing. I'll tear the solenoid apart at some point in an attempt to identify the exact failure mode.

Give the number of them I've seen fail no, given my personal experience and the zero warning, yes... I'd recommend it be considered.

I plan on doing this and my DT headers in the same time frame. You are a lucky guy to have made it back out of the sand box under your own power - nice job!

I replaced with a new OE and will rebuild the other for a spare. I doubt I'll pack it year round but on a big trip such as Baja we'll have 5-6 3UR trucks with us so it's not a bad thing to have along.

Kurt "Mcguyver" Williams saves the day. Thats awesome....you held a metal bar connected to live battery while underneath your cruiser and drove home to tell the story. Most of us (me) would have done it wrong, taken some voltage and head butted the frame.

This starting motor story is why I purchased my cruiser with a manual gearbox. If the starter motor gives up the ghost in the bush, I can push start it. I sure wish the manual gearbox was available world wide!

Real time STARTER help

there's instructions in this thread on how to bypass the starter solenoid.
I keep a 3' screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape in the tool drawer, just in case this happens again, or to someone out wheeling.

Great question. Zero warming, absolutely zero. Started fine 1000 times before and then we tried it another 100 and nothing. Smacked on the starter as best I could access and nothing. I'll tear the solenoid apart at some point in an attempt to identify the exact failure mode.

Give the number of them I've seen fail no, given my personal experience and the zero warning, yes... I'd recommend it be considered.

I still think it was Karma for flaunting all the features of your remote start at camp that morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom