Another seat question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I do a fair number of long trips in my BJ70, mostly to get to nice places in Baja. The seats in the truck are in good shape, but really bad on my wife's spine (and mine).
Does anyone know if there is a nice replacement seat that fits on the 70 brackets? The truck has the suspension seats, and I would like to keep the suspension, but ditch the seat for a better one.
Does anyone know of seat out of other cars that have a lot of metal underneath, meaning lots of places to drill for mounting?

thanks
Jan

i will suggest celica seats. they will take a bit to mount but i am sure between you and Michael you will be able to get the job done...

crushers said:
i will suggest celica seats. they will take a bit to mount but i am sure between you and Michael you will be able to get the job done...

thanks wayne!
Jan

I just put electric, leather Camry seats with lumbar support in my 60. They've been a huge upgrade in comfort. See my post in the FJ 60 section. They fit fine in a 60, but can't speak for the 70. I would imagine that any seat you find will need some modification to fit. I've done it twice before. Once in the 40 and now the 60. I don't have great fabrication skills, but it wasn't too hard either time.

I don't find the ones in my BJ 70 bad at all, I used to get really bad back aches after driving then I took my walet out of my pocket, and it is much better

cheers
Eric
If you have two seats with no rips and pretty clean after I might be interested in buying them

I still need some head rests for my back bench seat

i agree with eric, the LJ71 has a very comforable seat and you could get away with "0" mods, just remove the botom cusions and covers, unbolt the back, bolt on the replacnemet and reinstert the new bottom and foam and you are good to go...
i have no idea why i didn't think of that...
sheesh, thanks Eric...
i know where you might get a pair too...
cheers

ok for the money, if you are getting junkyard seats, cheapest.

but if you are buying seats, then I suggest finding a good upholstry shop and getting the stock seat made into what you want. totally custom. I had my 60 seats redone, cause they sucked huge before. and I am very impressed. 10 hrs drives no problem.

I also had lumbar support installed. Most upholstry shops can do that, as well add rear headrests to the bench,

some pics
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46979&highlight=cutting+edge

The stock ones are ok. My passenger seat is more comfortable than the drivers due to it not being used as much. I was thinking about getting a new bottom cushon for it. I really like the procar elite's that fit 40's

I think any seat will require some fabrication to use with the suspension bases. I ran CRX seats in my BJ70 for a long time. (Recarro knockoffs?). I'm kinda hooked on the Supra/Celica seats now, especially the ones that that have an adjustment to raise and lower the seat bottom. I find that makes the biggest difference on a long trip like the 14 hour journey ( including two hours I slept in them) I made in Ratpuke's Supra seat equiped BJ42 a couple of weeks ago.

Jan,

If you still have the photo's I sent you of my truck last fall I think there was a shot of my seats in there. I used Steelhorse super seats (they are bolt-in replacments for Heeps)....they are very comfortable, water repellant, look good and best of all cheap! ($200 per seat)....the brackets that Luke fabbed up to mount them however were not! Took him about 5hrs to make brackets but they look very clean.

Cheers

Whoa,
$ 200 hundred for you is cheap? You must make a lot of money! :D

I guess it's all relevant eh? I was comparing to the Procars which were about 5% more comfort for 4x the $$ :)

in my 60 i put in some leather buckets out of a 97 grand cherokee. Really easy to fab in and the power unit is small with the controls in the side of the seat. Around here i paid $200 for 4 matching seats in great shape

dieselbigot said:
Jan,

If you still have the photo's I sent you of my truck last fall I think there was a shot of my seats in there. I used Steelhorse super seats (they are bolt-in replacments for Heeps)....they are very comfortable, water repellant, look good and best of all cheap! ($200 per seat)....the brackets that Luke fabbed up to mount them however were not! Took him about 5hrs to make brackets but they look very clean.

Cheers

still have the pics, thank you for the information Brett,
Jan

I put scheel seats in years ago.I kept the slides bolted 2" flat across the slides and then bolted the new seats to that,saves worrying about making weird shape mounts to match the floor.

aussie75series said:
I put scheel seats in years ago.I kept the slides bolted 2" flat across the slides and then bolted the new seats to that,saves worrying about making weird shape mounts to match the floor.
some states here in Oz its illegal to modify the seat frames,seems trivial if its done properly.cheers

bigbrowndog said:
some states here in Oz its illegal to modify the seat frames,seems trivial if its done properly.cheers
I have had the vehicle engineer cert from the winch to the towbar and was picked up once when getting rego done lucky heh

sure were, good thinking. I know of a young apprentice who re upholstered a late model commodore interior and fitted it to an earlier model and was defected and made to pull it out. If you did not know the models interiors no one would have been any the wiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom