another Rover owner joined the company...geez! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just hired a recent grad to join the company, little did I know during the interview process he was driving a Disco. :p Hes 24 and has 3 discos go figure...rich kid! He tells me stories about pulling out H2s and cruisers, rediculous!
I havent been in his Disco yet or any discovery for that matter but do they offer F/C/R lockers? unfortunatly I have the center but it has been fine so far.

Chris
94LC

I suppose this should have been posted in chit-chat section... :rolleyes:

He has to have 3 discos, that way he has a reliable way to get to work. :D :D :D :D

Disco's do not have locking f/r diffs unless the owner has installed ARBs. Just remember, he is driving a British truck with a rejected american engine. If that isn't punishment, I don't know what is.

I have a suggestion as far as his bragging, take him off roading. If you are moderately competent and he is full of crap, he is going to really freak out on the first real obstical, whether it is a nice dropoff (think steep downhill) or off camber section.

Cary

I've got a good friend who just insisted on a Rover. ::) I tried to convince hime he needed a cruiser, but he said they all had too many miles and he wanted a new truck that would be dependable, ha. So he got a brand new Disco II. Since he bought it, it has been in the shop repeatedly, and now it has an electrical problem that the dealer can't figure out. All i say is told you so! :D :beer: :beer: :beer:

personally, i think the only rover worth mentioning at all is the DEFENDER. All the others are Krap!..[glow=red,2,300]esp [/glow] the discos.

Defender is simple, rough, tough ..but there is one HUGE drawback to the Defendah (boston accent)...it isnt a
LAND CRUISAH!

later..
joe

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=7500;start=msg62742#msg62742 date=1068757684]
Since he bought it, it has been in the shop repeatedly, and now it has an electrical problem that the dealer can't figure out.
[/quote]

Mr Lucas please take a bow... :-*

"The English drink warm beer because they own Lucas Refrigerators" :beer:

Sorry Jim. :D

Actually hes had 3 - 1 after another. I think his first car was an older rover w/ the safari stuff added. He says his dad has a def 110 so he comes from money.
He has a new SE w/ small tires. I am amazed by how far the rear wheels are tucked back, looks like! Curious to know the departure angle.
Maybe we can get him to take it out, Hltopper and Mtnrat will have to join.

Chris

The Defenders appeal to me, but I still couldn't handle the break downs or the rusting (metal corrosion). One of my friends offered to trade his 93 80 in on a 98 Disco at the local LR dealer. His stipulation was that he would buy it if 50% or less of the LRs on the lot did not have leaks. 8 of the 12 they had in stock had leaks. I almost wonder if he had prescouted the leaks. I was with him when he made the deal with the salesperson. To this day he says he would have done if they wouldn't have had all the leaks. He still drives Cruisers.

LRs leak is actually part of the design. Since they have such s***ty rust proofing, the leaking oil acts as a rust retarder in my case, driveway asphault reconditioner! I still can't seem to get rid of my RRC though. We've been thought a lot together.

For lockers, it depends on the year. If he has an early disco (series 1), then IIRC, they do have a center lock. After this they went to electronic traction control. I spend all of my time wheeling with LR types (no LC in my neck of the woods). Everything from stock discos, RR and defenders to the usual off road mods - lifts, tires, sliders, etc.

If you want the honest truth, I've been relatively impressed with the Disco and RR capabilities. I wouldn't want to own one, and I entirely agree with the mechanical issues, but they do seem to be ok on the trail, even in stock format. My lockers are a real advantage, but their electronic traction control does help a bit. I've also noticed that in stock format, they have better break-over and departure angles (shorter wheel base and rear overhang).

Cheers, Hugh

all right, mates, i'll bite. my wife and i own both a rover ('90 rrc) and a cruiser ('96). first, the cruiser has FAR superior build quality! bar none. we've only had the cruiser since last june (got a SCREAMIN' deal on it - originally owned by a retired gentleman from sedona, az. never off road and WAY below average private party :D) i am really impressed with this truck - now if i could only pry my wifes hands from the wheel and do some mods ... :eek: thankfully, i've been befriended by some dedicated tlc FREAKS up here in northern arizona (hltopper+bmt). both boys are tops, and they really know these trucks. 'nuff said.

all that syrupy stuff aside, i really love my rover classic! it leaks, of course, and has had a few mechanical problems that were tough to diagnose, but it always starts and gets me from point a to point b. it handles very well offroad - i'll even go as far as to say that hltopper and bmt were moderately impressed when we did broken arrow this summer (in my bare nuts STOCK truck and their tlc's with loads of mods :flipoff2:)

anyway, can't we all just get along? whoever wants to cruise up to northern az, give a shout!

best,

ae

My Neighbor has a shiny blue 2001 Disco. He is the stereotypical Disco owner. He washes it about twice a week; puts gooey tire shine stuff on it and shakes is head in astonishment at how I "trash" my truck. I openly tease him about the road queen.
The other day he came home from a fishing trip with a bit of mud on his truck and he decided to tell me how awesome his Rover was off road. "Man I was surprised how awesome that thing is off road," he said with a real look of accomplishment in his eyes. "I was driving up and down muddy hills. There was mud flying everywhere and I never even needed to put it in 4 wheel drive." I just smiled and nodded my head.

But Discos aren’t as bad as we make them out to be. It’s still body on frame construction with solid axles on coils. I wheel with a fellow who owns a built up disco. Though its build quality isn’t up to a Land Cruiser’s, it is still a very capable truck. He just spends a heck of a lot more money keeping it as capable.

:beer:
CJ

Defender 110....nice rig. Other LR? Crap. Disco II, don't get me started!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom