Another LJ78 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picture of leak. You can see the oil streak on the front of the head.

8CC88A62-9875-44C4-9448-9F92911A373C.jpeg

Well have all the parts on order, and it added up fast! So for the past 5 months I’ve been dealing with safelite on a replacement windshield for the 78 through my insurance. I provided them the Toyota OEM part number for the windshield. Well after the 3rd time of them coming out and having the wrong windshield, I spoke with the manager at my local safelite and insisted they needed to buy a oem windshield since all these others they’ve been bringing have been wrong! So they did and came out this morning to replace it. Good side....the windshield is finally correct. Bad side...the gasket tore during removal so I provided them the oem number for it as well. On top of that, I found a little rust I had to deal with. So that’s been today’s little project. Still need to sand down and then treat with some rust inhibitors. Any recommendations? The more I dig, the more I find on this little truck! Don’t judge, I’m by no means an auto body guy. Just had some spare scrap steel that was the right thickness.

A9D5AF39-B956-4D16-AF49-F095F952337D.jpeg

F3E6C6C9-8D12-43B7-A25C-A950462E3A34.jpeg

0AAC460B-BED5-4B9D-AED6-92BEC2F20D1A.jpeg

7D22AC4A-71E6-4F57-94F9-641EE8276252.jpeg

5869F237-990D-4F08-A5B2-576C706162C3.jpeg

Alright, so it’s been while! I’ve accomplished a lot over the past month. New windshield and gasket installed which is nice. The old windshield was toast. Well after figuring out where the crazy oil leak was coming from, I made multiple parts orders all over the world! Resealed the front cam housing along with new seals for both cam and front main. Installed new timing belt kit with new pulls and tensioner. Installed new woodruff key for harmonic balancer and installed new harmonic balancer. While I was in there, I removed everything that was blue on the engine and sand blasted it all. No more ford BLUE!!! Also, I removed the intake horn to check if the butterfly was removed, and it was! Installed all new rubber hoses for both radiator and heater core. Removed thermostat housing and tapped out spot on it and installed temp probe for my aftermarket temp gauge. Now my aftermarket egt, boost, and temp gauges all work properly! While I was in there I also installed a new trident 88c hi flow thermostat. After everything, it runs great! Awesome watching my temp gauge, can actually see exactly when the thermostat opens up and the temp goes down quick. Honestly at this point, the only things I have not done yet to this engine that’s recommended is a bigger fan, water to air intercooler, and bigger exhaust. Will be tackling the exhaust over the next month or so, then see how it does. Is running much cooler, but egt’s are still getting up into the 1200f going up hills. Don’t worry, I let off immediately and down shift. ;)

44B93CB6-DEA8-4FCE-BB35-3A42CB44ED0E.jpeg

52F76998-9EBA-48CE-B88F-D68442CCEAB2.jpeg

A634883E-9199-42DF-A761-EEC58BC3DF04.jpeg

B60D0F5E-83E3-4131-A686-9D83C7BE2D52.jpeg

Nicely done. Glad to see the t-stat worked out and you can see an improvement. My experience was exactly the same. I can really see the difference in how long it takes to drop down after the t-stat opens.

Nicely done. Glad to see the t-stat worked out and you can see an improvement. My experience was exactly the same. I can really see the difference in how long it takes to drop down after the t-stat opens.
It is impressive how quick it drops in temp when it opens. Thank you for the suggestion, I’m super pleased! Honestly my biggest hurdle now is the egt’s :/

It is impressive how quick it drops in temp when it opens. Thank you for the suggestion, I’m super pleased! Honestly my biggest hurdle now is the egt’s :/

Very nice work! Truck is looking great.

I like the Tridon 88C t-stat also. Works much better than any of the others I've tried.

You can drop your EGT's in a number of ways. Your new exhaust will probably drop them by about 100F. Also, if you raise your boost, but put and adjustable bleed valve before the boost sensor, you can run a leaner AFR. Basically, run more air, but the same fuel as you are now. Leaner AFR means cooler EGT's. An intercooler will give a drastic drop in EGT, but they are expensive and a fair amount of work.

Hey all, been a little while. Been enjoying the 78 lately, driving it as a daily. Well for Christmas my amazing wife got me a new stereo deck. Old deck I removed was the cassette/cd combo deck that I found out has amps in the back of the truck. I wired up the new deck but I need to find out how to bypass the amps to get it to work correctly. I’m sure some of you guys have upgraded your decks for something a little nicer and having Bluetooth. Please, any info would be great! Already have the rear side panel apart to look at the multiple harnesses for the two amps

Hey all, been a little while. Been enjoying the 78 lately, driving it as a daily. Well for Christmas my amazing wife got me a new stereo deck. Old deck I removed was the cassette/cd combo deck that I found out has amps in the back of the truck. I wired up the new deck but I need to find out how to bypass the amps to get it to work correctly. I’m sure some of you guys have upgraded your decks for something a little nicer and having Bluetooth. Please, any info would be great! Already have the rear side panel apart to look at the multiple harnesses for the two amps

I recently upgraded mine too with all new speakers a kenwood deck and a sub. I pulled my own power circuits direct from the battery for the deck and amp. I pulled my own speaker cables too. All I used from the factory harness was the antenna and ACC power. You could use more of the factory harness so you don't have to pull speaker cables to the back though. Here are the schematics (translated to english), and I can confirm it's all dead on, as I did find all these wires and confirmed they are what they are. Dropbox - '90-'92 70-Series Wiring Manual.pdf

I recently upgraded mine too with all new speakers a kenwood deck and a sub. I pulled my own power circuits direct from the battery for the deck and amp. I pulled my own speaker cables too. All I used from the factory harness was the antenna and ACC power. You could use more of the factory harness so you don't have to pull speaker cables to the back though. Here are the schematics (translated to english), and I can confirm it's all dead on, as I did find all these wires and confirmed they are what they are. Dropbox - '90-'92 70-Series Wiring Manual.pdf
I appreciate the wiring diagram!! Been studying it. Did your truck have the double den cassette and CD player? The diagrams are only showing the two other plugs that my factory stereo did not use. I wired in a harness to the two plugs that are in the diagram, but seems like there is more harnesses in mine for the amplifier then what the diagram is showing. Hmmm. So in the picture, my factory stereo used the very top plug. Wiring in my new stereo, I used the bottom two plugs. Thoughts?

06B7AEAE-6160-4DEF-8C54-5AE51ACE43C4.jpeg

@GTSSportCoupe
I'm trying to troubleshoot antenna operation. It has never worked since I've had it. I just can't find any reference to it in the wiring diagrams. If I can identify the power wire behind the radio or at the connector, I'll temporarily apply 12V to test operation. Any suggestions / words of wisdom?

@GTSSportCoupe
I'm trying to troubleshoot antenna operation. It has never worked since I've had it. I just can't find any reference to it in the wiring diagrams. If I can identify the power wire behind the radio or at the connector, I'll temporarily apply 12V to test operation. Any suggestions / words of wisdom?

Mine only came with a manual antenna, so not sure what to suggest. I know the 80 series came with power antenna, maybe have a look in that section (search)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom