Another LJ78 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! So I am slowly learning this little truck and am loving it! A little background on me and landcruisers: It all started when I was 18 and ran across my first love, a worn down 1969 FJ40. Have slowly built and loved it over the years. One truck I will NEVER get rid of. Fast foreword to a few years back I picked up a 1993 FZJ80 series and that’s been my daily driver and the wife’s and I’s camping road trip vehicle. Been slowly building it up as well. Now to present. I picked up a 1984 FJ60 with big plans until I ran across on this forum a gentleman wanting to trade his 1991 LJ78. The 78 was talked about quite a few times earlier this year as many people where interested in it at the same time. Drove to Oklahoma with fj60 in tow. After driving nonstop to Oklahoma we met, looked over eachothers trucks and exchanged titles. I had the landcruiser diesel bug bad. Once Home, I drove it for a bit and tinkered around with it. After a few months of ownership, I figured out real quick this truck needed a lot of love. Will post pics of the slow progress on the truck and issues I’ve run into. Sorry it took 7 months since ownership to start this thread! Enjoy!

This was in tow heading back to Arizona!

upload_2018-9-5_19-45-34.jpeg

So one morning while driving to work I started hearing a weird grinding noise then my alternator came on. After another minute I started smelling burning rubber. Went to pull over and realized I no longer had power brakes. Pulled over and shut it down. Opened the hood and smoke came pouring out. Look down and the alternator belts are just about gone. . Turns out the vacuum pump had locked up. Great!!! Needless to say I was late to work, but did manage to limp it there. Truck stayed at my works parking lot for a few weeks before I finally got around to loading it up on the trailer and bringing it home. Once I rolled it in the shop, started tearing into it. This is what I found.

9E3D02D9-6725-487D-BCA6-4962FCAC9D10.jpeg

So after what was almost 2 months, I finally tracked down a replacement vacuum pump with alternator. The previous owner purchased a replacement turbo so since I was tearing into it, might as well go further!

45B0B001-4ABF-474A-B0FD-B414A537D623.jpeg

While in there, I also did all new belts as well as rebuilt the viscous fan clutch with 15,000cst oil. Previous owner did the egr delete but re-installed all the egr equipment so it looks compliant which is a very big deal here in Arizona. The truck had a nice triple gauge set up: egt, water temp and boost. Boost gauge was hooked up, but very poorly. Egt probe was broken as well as the water temp harness was torn up and missing the sending unit. So after a few calls to auto meter I got everything I needed to fix all 3 gauges properly. Drilled and taped the turbo flange for the egt probe. Ran all the new harnesses. Installed all the new components as well as an intake oil catch. The previous owner installed one but poorly and didn’t like it, so I installed a different one in a much better location.

4985F8C6-5E15-4BEB-860F-0F8992330143.jpeg

372B2B11-F7C3-4CD0-9508-741092C473E5.jpeg

237886FE-9778-45EB-9872-877AEDBFB1E0.jpeg

3F5821AF-4724-412E-9FA1-DCB1DBB3E761.jpeg

Oh yeah. You are who wound up with that truck. I recognize the engine paint. He was trying to trade my nephew for his 1997 Land Rover Discovery with a brand new 300tdi engine in it. It wasn't a fair trade for that, so I recommended he walk away.
I am sure it will be a great truck for you after you tidy it up. I remember it had some questionable things done on it but overall looked pretty solid. Sounds like you found them and are sorting them now.

That's a pretty turbo, seems a shame to get it dirty.

So at one point in time, the truck had a secondary battery . The tray was gone but all the wiring was still there and in poor shape. Since I live in Arizona, don’t really have cold cold mornings so figured might as well clean up the engine bay. While getting rid of a lot of added wiring, I noticed a vacuum line laying on the passenger side wheel well and it went up to a sensor. Doing some research, I find out it’s the boost sensor line! Whoever hooked up the aftermarket boost gauge had disconnected the boost sensor and used that port for the gauge! So after redoing it all and adding a t-fitting, I found ALOT of power I never knew I had! Texted the previous owner and he had no clue! He just thought the truck was super slow and that’s how he purchased it. Slowly learning a lot about this diesel, and having a lot of fun doing it! You can see in the pic below to the right of the oil catch I installed, the t-fitting so both the boost sensor and gauge can work.

06B98D09-929B-4874-A252-327BDD4B2E3E.jpeg

Oh yeah. You are who wound up with that truck. I recognize the engine paint. He was trying to trade my nephew for his 1997 Land Rover Discovery with a brand new 300tdi engine in it. It wasn't a fair trade for that, so I recommended he walk away.
I am sure it will be a great truck for you after you tidy it up. I remember it had some questionable things done on it but overall looked pretty solid. Sounds like you found them and are sorting them now.

That's a pretty turbo, seems a shame to get it dirty.
Haha yes it was questionable and I’ve slowly been peeling back the layers. Luckily these trucks are pretty easy to work on. Getting it up to par again shouldn’t be too bad. Just cleaning up a lot of years sub par repairs. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for your nephew. Yes the turbo was so clean! Not for long!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing details of your build! The original guy who owned that truck was on this forum I believe (Rummat81). He did a lot to that truck before many others knew anything about them It had a brand new injection pump put on at one time, so good score there!

I'm glad you're giving it the love it needs and a second chance. Keep up the good work.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing details of your build! The original guy who owned that truck was on this forum I believe (Rummat81). He did a lot to that truck before many others knew anything about them It had a brand new injection pump put on at one time, so good score there!

I'm glad you're giving it the love it needs and a second chance. Keep up the good work.
Thank you! I hope I don’t scare you guys with all the questions I’m sure I’ll have! Yes I’ve been in contact with runmate, what a great guy. He’s been very helpful! Very excited to get this truck back to where it should be.

thanks for sharing the pics with the alternator! now I understand how the vaacum pump connects to the alternator.

Does that seal look like its replaceable?

If I remember the history correctly, that bad wiring was replaced. I want to say that the wiring harness was replaced. If you don't have them Ben, I believe my nephew had the guy send him all the receipts for the parts that had been bought for the truck when he was discussing a trade. I can ask him about them.

I don’t have them! If he does, is there a way you could send them my way? That would be awesome!
If I remember the history correctly, that bad wiring was replaced. I want to say that the wiring harness was replaced. If you don't have them Ben, I believe my nephew had the guy send him all the receipts for the parts that had been bought for the truck when he was discussing a trade. I can ask him about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom