Another FJ62 Gas Smell in the Cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today when i got into my Cruiser i noticed it smelled like an old lawn mower shed. Which was weird cause it didn't smell like gas yesterday and nothing really happened in between that would have caused this to happen. So of course my first thought was to sort through the forums to find out more information. From what i have read, its most likely something to do with either the filler neck or the evaporator hoses in the back panel. This is because thats where the smell is the strongest, and the fact there hardly isnt a smell outside the Cab.

Now this isn't why im posting, why im posting is much weirder. When i went to remove the gas cap this morning to look at the seal, i heard what sounded like metal dropping down my filler neck. Now for the life of me i cannot figure out what could have possible caused that. The gas cap is still intact and the filler neck looks almost new. So was i hearing things? is this the ghost of the dinosaurs who have died? is it because im slightly hungover? if anyone has any advice or experienced something similar im all ears cause i am out of ideas and dont really want to drain my full fuel tank.

So im going to assume by the lack of response im just hearing things

Maybe inspect your filler neck to see if there are any odd looking holes in the filler or any hoses loose around the filler? Perhaps the noise you heard was the remains of a hose connection falling down inside.

Maybe inspect your filler neck to see if there are any odd looking holes in the filler or any hoses loose around the filler? Perhaps the noise you heard was the remains of a hose connection falling down inside.
Ill take a closer look, but when i looked i really couldn't see any connections on the filler neck. i might not be looking far enough down though.

1587058108665.png

So I checked and I couldn't find anything. I also let it sit in the sun longer and when I removed the gas cap some fuel bubbled out. Of course I was sitting at an angle this time.

My thought is that the noice i heard was small amount of fuel falling into the filler neck when I relieved the pressure by removing the gas cap. So my guess is that the gas cap was firmly sealed so the gas smell was the release of the fumes. I swapped the charcoal canister lines for now to see if that fixes the problem, hopefully it does. Though it seems that that can be mildly dangerous. So if that's fixed it I'm gonna try to clear the gummed up valve in the charcoal canister or just buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom