Another CDL Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but did not find, so I apologize if I'm repeating a question.

The situation: I don't think my CDL is engaging. It's an 06 LX470 that almost certainly hasn't had any CDL use in it's 175k mile life. Dealer maintained from mile 1 in Las Angeles, so no muck or poor treatment.

I go into 4low & press the CDL button. The light flashes for a second, then turns on solid. However, I don't think it's engaged. Turning behavior is unchanged. I've tried driving in S's and 8s on dirt roads and some light reverse action.

I suspect I may have engaged it successfully my first time out, I hit the button and slowly reversed. There was a loud clunk, which I assumed to be the CDL engaging, and drove up the climb. I got to the top, turned it off and got into 4Hi and headed home.

No clunk since then.

I suspect it may have a sticky actuator, but all the other threads for that didn't have the dash light turned on. So maybe it's something different?

I also couldn't find a guide to exercising the actuator switch manually, just comments that people had done it. Any suggestions/guidance?

Thanks!

You likely wouldn't see any behavior change in driving up a climb, and maybe not on dirt even. You can try it in a parking lot, lock the CDL and start turning a wide circle. If the center locks, you'll start to get binding in the driveline which will show up as chirping tires and kind of a lurching motion. If it does start to bind, turn back to straight and you'll be fine. Unlock center and go.

I'd suggest pulling the actuator, leave the harness connected, and have someone flip the switch for you, see what happens, here is some good reference info.
Center Diff Lock Actuator

FSM is also floating around, or if you'd like scans, I have the 99 FSM and I can send you whatever sections you need

Update: it seems to be fine. I did a very small amount of turning on pavement with it engaged and I started to feel what I assume is binding. I then went to turn off the CDL, and had to drive straight for 1/2 a block or so. Then there was an audible clunk, which I take to be the CDL disengaging, and the light turned off.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom