And so the Journey begins... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were up bright and early Saturday morning and on the road by 5:30 am. We had a six hour drive to a little town across the river from Davenport Iowa.

It was a beautiful day, and if all goes as planned we should be home by no later than 7:30. Yeah RIGHT.

The pick-up went well, except for the fact that we couldn't get the 4Runner started...sounds like a timing problem.

Once the rig was on the trailer we noticed one of the trailer tires was flat. No biggie we pulled the nail, plugged the hole and went on our merry way. We checked the tire pressure after about an hour...still holding strong...we continued along acordding to plan...that is until... :crybaby:

With a shredded tire we were standed on the side of I-80 at the mercy of the uhaul roadside service. Three hours later we were on our way.

We rolled into KC around 10:30 PM tired grumpy and hungry.

She is now in the garage and so the build begins.. I hope the blown tire and the reluctance to start isn't a sign of things to come. Although it turned over in the morning and ran for a full 15-seconds.

Last edited:
Congrats Randy. Let me know when you are going to have a sawz-all weekend. :bounce:

Hmmm When do we start?

Awesome. I picked up my mini up on Friday. Of course I only drove about 5 miles to get it :) If you need a hand, let me know. It may be a while till I tear into mine. I just cleaned it up and it's too pretty to butcher just yet :D

later,

kumar

Let me know when you are going to have a sawz-all weekend.

WHAT? Do you see something I should cut off ;)

I know I will definitley need help with the following items:

• Welding

• Getting the timing straigtened out and any other engine related issues

Ranski said:
  • Getting the timing straigtened out and any other engine related issues

Do you know if the timing chain has been replaced recently? If it was, it's possible it could be mis-aligned or the distributor is one tooth off.

Turn the engine until #1 piston is TDC and check to see that the dist rotor is pointed at #1. If everything else is ok, that ought to be close enough for it to run.

It might be a good idea to pull the valve cover and do a quick inspection of the timing chain and guides if you suspect serious timing issues. Let me know if you need help with it.

Bob and Randy...let's have a good ol' shawnee pow wow (no pun intended) seeing that we all hae 22r(e) engines now...for the time being. Randy, Mike (the new guy) said he had a new tailgate found for you. I think he's waiting for a reply to the email he sent ya.

kumar

Good Plan Kumar. And thanks for the heads up on the tailgate. Things are crazy right now...trying to keep all my emails straight for the things I'm selling and the things I'm looking for.

Ranski said:
Good Plan Kumar. And thanks for the heads up on the tailgate. Things are crazy right now...trying to keep all my emails straight for the things I'm selling and the things I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a few things too. If a deal comes across where there is extra stuff you dont need, or if we can get a larger package together where we can split some stuff...i'm game.

kumar

sounds like you had quite the adventure!!

i am going to start the tear down of my 2f today...i hope its not as bad as i think it might be!!!

kc_chevota said:
Kumar Im allways willing to help with the welding

Rob

I think Randy is the one that needs the welding help ;) The only help I need is to stop getting burned whenever I weld (i'm a magnet for slag, and an idiot for welding half naked). Funny thing is I do have kevlar arm guards, welding gloves, and thick shirts, but rarlely wear it...too damn hot!

can you TIG weld though?

Kumar

Where are my pics? LOL

inacoma what are you needing?

I gone through about 20 or so trucks in 4 runners in the last few yrs or
so, I have done 5 this yr. I mostly stripped to sell, then scrap. I built
a rig out of two, and ran moab on a 90 day build.

I look at two more trucks this week.

I need a spare short CV. I can snap pictures of what I've got currently.. I'm using a Minitruck CV as my rear driveshaft on the FJ40 and would love to have a spare.. I'm somewhat mean to my stuff and don't want a driveshaft killing my weekend..

HI^C said:
Where are my pics? LOL

inacoma what are you needing?

I gone through about 20 or so trucks in 4 runners in the last few yrs or
so, I have done 5 this yr. I mostly stripped to sell, then scrap. I built
a rig out of two, and ran moab on a 90 day build.

I look at two more trucks this week.

DAMN man. yeah, I could use maybe 3 or 4 CV joints (can never have enough if the price is right!!). Oh I need 2 sets of Aisan hubs too, I need to rid myself of these rockrash hubs...Warn and MileMarker.

pics...uhhh yeah...coming up soon.

kumar

84-85 mini CV ?

HOW many do you need.

Most are going to be CV alone cut off the tube, I dont keep the rest.
I do have two complete for custom apps in mini or 4runner as well.

Please feel free to email me direct.

DOH yep i talked with you about aisins already, I need to go through my pile of them.

At one point this yr i had so many going i had to pass on a free (haul away) 89 4runner.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it might be an earlier CV in mine.. Whatever it is it's about 3" of tube and the splined area.. Nothing fancy.. I just cut part of the splines off and Voila .. Driveshaft.. I'll snap a pic.

Sorry for the delay...traveling schedule very hectic. Had time to clean her up a bit, takes some pics, then tear apart the upper/lower intake to do some much needed de-carboning and having the injectors balanced/blue printed (have a port leakdown issue plus it's just good PM). Probably do so some minor engine work while I have things apart as well (rings/head gasket/etc). Still jonesing on putting a 7mge into it.

http://kumar.cruizer.net/pics/mini

laterz,

Kumar

nice stocker, well IMO leave it stock.

but if you were to come along another make sure you include the T you left out in the above mentioned engine swap.

head gaskets between 5-6 and no cam bearings, man i miss my supra.

EMAIL me for parts, i dont ever get a chance to go back through all the posts i post in :)

The 80 may get a "T"urbo one day, but I'm probably going to stick with the 7mge, and not the 7mgte.

I will email for parts. wher are you located?

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom