Audible - The Black Hills Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CrowleyFJ40

Take off, eh.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.org
Since Rubithon was pushed back and we had the PTO already scheduled, there was some discussion on alternate plans. Sounds like most are in for the Black Hills since the other options for new places were deserts at the end of June.

I'm starting this thread to start a very quick plan on what to do/where to go/where to stay etc. Below is a list of drivers, known passengers, and their vehicles. Anyone else or anyone I missed?

@CrowleyFJ40 / @1MAC - 4Runner. The blue one...
@tornadoalleycruiser / @theSherpa - 800 (100 with an 80 axle is an 800 series, right?)
@2fpower - F-toy
@kc_chevota - 40
@rockstate45 - Mini

@kcjaz - might as well do it in the 200 now, that first dent is well out of the way!
@KCoverland ?

VERY rough timeline:
6/17 - leave in AM, spend the night en route, possibly camping at Badlands
6/18 - make it to Black Hills, unload trailers and head off into the wilderness to find dispersed camping
6/19-6/22 or 6/23 - Wheeling, dispersed camping at night with one night in a hotel to wash up and refit
6/23 or 6/24 - Depart back to KC. I know Rob needs to be back by noon on 6/24, not sure if anyone else has a hard stop now?

My thoughts on trails were we start milder and head towards wilder. Hal Johns looks like a good capstone to the week, with lots of big rocks and a road right next to it for recovery of broken vehicles. Please take a look at Trails - https://dakotacruisers.com/trails/ to get an idea of trails. Blackhills Trail Information - https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/blackhills-trail-information_topic42286.html Lists out which trails are what roads. I say we come up with some trails we want and we'll plan the order based on location after we choose trails. Thanks to Steve for finding the trail info!

I'd say I'm 80% in and will update the percentage once I verify my boss is in town. I can b a pack mule for coolers, etc.

I’m in depending on my truck getting ready.

Steve

Sorry guys, I’m out. I don’t see my current 200 situation getting sorted by then.

I am likely out...

depends on a lot of things falling into place.

Current plan is that Mike, Erik and Colin all depart 6/17 for a leisurely drive up to Deadwood. Jack and Rob depart 6/18 for a cannonball run to Deadwood, all arriving 6/18. @theSherpa are you in for a 6/17 departure as well?

After chatting over the weekend and gathering some more intel from @tornadoalleycruiser I'm thinking we may want to camp it at Hidden Valley. It's 13 miles from Hal Johns, Kong, Calamity Canyon. It's 20 miles to Fruity Pebbles, Captain Crunch, Jake, and The Nasties. It would give us a good base camp for hanging out, regrouping, cleaning up, and having a camp fire (not allowed in the Black Hills in SD).

There are currently enough tent sites left, $30/night for an electric site with picnic table and fire ring. It would require us to putz to the trails on road, or trailer and find a place to stash them for the day. Book Now | Hidden Valley Campground - https://hidden-valley.checkfront.com/reserve/

Stay at Hidden Valley would be 6/18 to 6/23, and we'd depart back to KC on 6/23 in the morning.

Anyone look at trails and have any suggestions/desires for trails to do?

@1MAC @kc_chevota @rockstate45

I’m in for 6/17. Hidden Valley is great. I’ll get a site now.

Trail options, broken down by close to HV camp and further (20ish miles), and way further. In the picture below, I matched the 3 circles with the 3 groups below. Take a look at options and think about what you'd like to do, or see if you can find any other trails I missed that are on each of your lists of to-dos. There are a ton of roads, so we can also just go drive around in the woods lost like tourists.

Closer (Blue circle):
  • Calamity Canyon 3+/5 - Road 8043 - narrow walled canyon with small rock garden and an optional harder obstacle
  • Lost Gulch 3/5 - Scenic views, ghost towns/old mine. Not hard wheeling, and looking at the description from Dakota Cruisers I think they do a longer extended version that does more easy roads?
  • Jake 4+/5 - Road 6326 1/2 mile, all day rock crawling
  • Kong 5/5 - Road 8046 - gigantic rocks plus off camber. 1/4 mile long, all day trail
  • Hal Johns - 5+/5 - Road 8042 - Rock crawling, and a lot of it
Further (Red circle):
  • Iceman - 4/5 - Road 8284 - Rock crawling, can be run both directions
  • Flat Nasty 5/5 - Road 6605 - Lots of really nasty crawling
  • Fruity Pebbles and CPT Crunch are also here
Way further South (Black Circle:
  • Dugan's Prospect - 4+/5 - Road 6830 - roads through the trees with some rocks, nothing crazy
  • T-Back/Bikini 5/5 - great views, gnarly rocks. Watched bleepin jeeps video, looks really nasty. Also according to Dakota Cruisers website, possibly requires a special permit?
Can't find the road number for this trail:
  • Full Size 4/5 - more open and good for larger/longer vehicles
1685498487179.png

Had a quick meeting with my boss and VP yesterday since boss just got back from vacation. I don't need to worry about a pto conflict. I am now 100% in for this trip.

e3319e8748500c7e6dfa291ac4106c3e43facab5_00.gif

20230601_061748.jpg

Audible to the audible. @rockstate45 managed to get an inside scoop from @Redgrrr on some of the trails, as well as a suggested itinerary. HUGE thanks to Redgrrr, saves me a lot of guessing and stabbing in the dark. The plan includes 5 days of wheeling, of which we are only planning on wheeling 4 (Monday-Thursday). So, we need to narrow down the 5 day to 4 days. Here is what is proposed, and seems like a very solid plan to me.

Day 1 - Iceman and little offshoot trails, 6ish hours. Go to Nemo for late lunch (or early dinner for those retired folks like Steve and Erik)
Day 2 - Cereal Bowl-Fruity Pebbles and Got Milk. CPT Crunch is also here, but that looks like a bigger bite than most of us are needing to take. So we can come back with a trailer to get what's left of Rob's rig...
Day 3 - Camp 5 Area, close to Hidden Valley - Calamity Canyon, Full Size, and either Hal Johns or the upper part of Hal Johns and Kong, depending on pace and breakage
Day 4 - Hal Johns lower and Kong if we wanted to run Kong. Redgrrr took his (definitely not stock) 80 series through there last year in the snow, so it's doable for a SAS 100, right?
Day 5 - T Back and Bikini - way further south, views of Mt. Rushmore, looks like a pretty hard trail so I think it would rule out Steve's 80. Erik's 100 would probably make it but probably not without damage. TBH, watch this video and tell me if you think this is even too crazy for Rob/Jack/Colin to go through. Remember, I still have some windows in the hardtop that haven't been broken out...yet!

I say we either cut out the Day 4 or Day 5, depending on what you all think about T Back and Bikini. Those look to be the 2 hardest days of crawling so we can cut out one of them. With our experience, ignorance, stupidity, winches and sliders, I think we can all go out and get through the Days 1-3 trails, or at the very least with the road next to Hal Johns we can all at least stay together. We can put Erik and Steve in with Jack and Rob for Day 4 or 5 plan, or Erik mentioned going to Rushmore with Steve, either one.

Thoughts?

Audible to the audible. @rockstate45 managed to get an inside scoop from @Redgrrr on some of the trails, as well as a suggested itinerary. HUGE thanks to Redgrrr, saves me a lot of guessing and stabbing in the dark. The plan includes 5 days of wheeling, of which we are only planning on wheeling 4 (Monday-Thursday). So, we need to narrow down the 5 day to 4 days. Here is what is proposed, and seems like a very solid plan to me.

Day 1 - Iceman and little offshoot trails, 6ish hours. Go to Nemo for late lunch (or early dinner for those retired folks like Steve and Erik)
Day 2 - Cereal Bowl-Fruity Pebbles and Got Milk. CPT Crunch is also here, but that looks like a bigger bite than most of us are needing to take. So we can come back with a trailer to get what's left of Rob's rig...
Day 3 - Camp 5 Area, close to Hidden Valley - Calamity Canyon, Full Size, and either Hal Johns or the upper part of Hal Johns and Kong, depending on pace and breakage
Day 4 - Hal Johns lower and Kong if we wanted to run Kong. Redgrrr took his (definitely not stock) 80 series through there last year in the snow, so it's doable for a SAS 100, right?
Day 5 - T Back and Bikini - way further south, views of Mt. Rushmore, looks like a pretty hard trail so I think it would rule out Steve's 80. Erik's 100 would probably make it but probably not without damage. TBH, watch this video and tell me if you think this is even too crazy for Rob/Jack/Colin to go through. Remember, I still have some windows in the hardtop that haven't been broken out...yet!

I say we either cut out the Day 4 or Day 5, depending on what you all think about T Back and Bikini. Those look to be the 2 hardest days of crawling so we can cut out one of them. With our experience, ignorance, stupidity, winches and sliders, I think we can all go out and get through the Days 1-3 trails, or at the very least with the road next to Hal Johns we can all at least stay together. We can put Erik and Steve in with Jack and Rob for Day 4 or 5 plan, or Erik mentioned going to Rushmore with Steve, either one.

Thoughts?
Solid plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom