An investigation of AC Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ClassyJalopy think this vid would be helpful for you reading AC pressures. Glad to see its holding pressure.

Dryer repair

Those were very helpful indeed. I just couldn't get the bottom plug on the dryer to budge and got scared of breaking it.

You'll get more effect replacing the condenser (with dryer) and re-doing the o-rings. The o-rings get old and lose their flexibility over the years, and cause most leaks that aren't actually compromised hoses. I'll bet money, if your condenser is original, the fins are brittle and it's not doing much of a good job at dissipating the heat. The rear AC lines look, to me, like they quite probably just need new o-rings. The AC shop wants to install a new compressor because they don't want you coming back in two weeks and telling them 'it doesn't work, why didn't you replace "X", "Y", or "Z"?'. So they want to replace stuff, not fix it. That way you pay, and they don't have the liability for a re-do repair.

You'll get more effect replacing the condenser (with dryer) and re-doing the o-rings. The o-rings get old and lose their flexibility over the years, and cause most leaks that aren't actually compromised hoses. I'll bet money, if your condenser is original, the fins are brittle and it's not doing much of a good job at dissipating the heat. The rear AC lines look, to me, like they quite probably just need new o-rings. The AC shop wants to install a new compressor because they don't want you coming back in two weeks and telling them 'it doesn't work, why didn't you replace "X", "Y", or "Z"?'. So they want to replace stuff, not fix it. That way you pay, and they don't have the liability for a re-do repair.
This is my train of thinking as well. The shop would be well rehersed in fixing these issues.

My mechanic had an easy job (was an actual Toyota mechanic for fair few years). AC compressor clutch/pulley was shaking nearly off the belt. Have the vid actually:

I asked him to replace the dryer, but he must have checked if the gas was dirty somehow and said not an issue.

All he did was vacuum, replace compressor with new quality denso and regased it. No leaks he said, and sat in the car with ice cold air.

I have really cool air with the front vents open now, no recycle only like before. And no warm for the first 5 mins of driving until the engine warms up. Pumps cold air while idling like a brand new car. Oh I also semi-cleaned the evapourator too which gave it a little boost of cold. It's worth the money fixing if you have the extra cash. the systems are pretty flawless once good again

Those were very helpful indeed. I just couldn't get the bottom plug on the dryer to budge and got scared of breaking it.
Fair few vids, some or most ... pull the entire condenser out. ? Have a dig on there. Ericthecarguy does a nice one.

Honestly dont think the shop or mechanic have much problem doing the compressor and dryer. Anything behind he firewall I think they hate 'big job' lol

Condenser is pricey bugger! At the moment I am consistently reading 45 degree at vents while ambient temps are approaching 90! I guess time to save up for a condensor/compressor/evap/expansion valve replacment!

This is my train of thinking as well. The shop would be well rehersed in fixing these issues.

My mechanic had an easy job (was an actual Toyota mechanic for fair few years). AC compressor clutch/pulley was shaking nearly off the belt. Have the vid actually:

I asked him to replace the dryer, but he must have checked if the gas was dirty somehow and said not an issue.

All he did was vacuum, replace compressor with new quality denso and regased it. No leaks he said, and sat in the car with ice cold air.

I have really cool air with the front vents open now, no recycle only like before. And no warm for the first 5 mins of driving until the engine warms up. Pumps cold air while idling like a brand new car. Oh I also semi-cleaned the evapourator too which gave it a little boost of cold. It's worth the money fixing if you have the extra cash. the systems are pretty flawless once good again

If you replace a compressor and do not replace the drier bag, your compressor usually now has zero warranty. To be warranted, you almost always have to replace the drier.

Last edited:
If you replace a compressor and do not replace the drier bag, your compressor usually now has zero warranty. To be warranted, you almost always have to replace the drier.
Those too shouldn't add heaps of cost to the job. Getting to Tx-valve and all that s*** (evapourator) behind firewall is where it gets significantly more expensive (labour). My mechanic shied away from it big time when I mentioned expansion valve lol

Those too shouldn't add heaps of cost to the job. Getting to Tx-valve and all that s*** (evapourator) behind firewall is where it gets significantly more expensive (labour). My mechanic shied away from it big time when I mentioned expansion valve lol

That's where it is highly recommended to use the glove box mod shortcut. Cut a piece of plastic and have the front evaporator out in 5 min, or remove the dash and have the evaporator out in 3 hours....and then get to spend another 2 hours putting everything back together.

That's where it is highly recommended to use the glove box mod shortcut. Cut a piece of plastic and have the front evaporator out in 5 min, or remove the dash and have the evaporator out in 3 hours....and then get to spend another 2 hours putting everything back together.
Yeah most mechanics wouldn't be allowed to chop ppls cars up, he probably wouldn't even know about it.

Any link? actually wouldn't mind checking that out myself. Would be cool if it hid behind something and didn't see it @ the end.

Yeah most mechanics wouldn't be allowed to chop ppls cars up, he probably wouldn't even know about it.

Any link? actually wouldn't mind checking that out myself. Would be cool if it hid behind something and didn't see it @ the end.

No link but here are 2 photos from my truck. They should give you an idea where to cut and show how I put it back together. Not really visible at all unless you look for it. Once I made the cut, I secured the long plastic trim piece with a zip tie to keep it out of the way. You have to stretch it quite a bit but it wont break.

The 2 design issues I have with the 100 are the location of the starter and front evaporator! Everything else seems pretty well thought out.

49975029348_2d04b65308_c.jpg

49975808357_9fa02fc26d_c.jpg

@BadReligion has given you a good option.

You could get away with a slightly leaky compressor, its a major expense a new Denso A/C compressor.

Fix the o rings and dryer, make sure you vacuum old (dirty) gas well and then pump some new AC refridgerant into the system and check if holds pressure.

If ok then good to go. AC should be cold, for how long is worth checking later. Bonus is you've repaired most of it already
Do you know of an o ring kit?

Do you know of an o ring kit?
No oring kit. Any you can't find , just go to an AC shop. Take the old ones and have them match them.
That's how I did it, they had no issue giving me o-rings because I was getting them to take the old gas out and the refill it (part of the job they said).

No oring kit. Any you can't find , just go to an AC shop. Take the old ones and have them match them.
That's how I did it, they had no issue giving me o-rings because I was getting them to take the old gas out and the refill it (part of the job they said).
How many fittings require an o-ring? is there some sort of diagram?

How many fittings require an o-ring? is there some sort of diagram?
Not that I know of. You could hit up the free workshop manual at LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/
Just look up replacement of each individual component. Should have the orings that need doing.
Like I said, any that you can't match go to the AC shop and see if they have. It's hard to find I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom