An easy V belt replacement gone bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GarnerFJ40

2020-2022 ONSC President
Threads
So, those who know me, the Black Cruiser has been overheating on me on some long drives to Charlotte, and some Uwharrie trails.

I flushed the coolant, because it had been green, and it needed to be done. Didn't solve the problem.

So, I went and picked up some silicone diff oil from the hobby shop, as the fan clutch stopped when I threw a rolled up newspaper in it. Since it was off, the belts were easy to get to, and a little frayed so I figured a good time to replace those . As, I was taking the fan off, the pulley was slipping around, so I figured the tension was a little light (and probably be the root cause). But, I already had everything to do the upgrade/mod so I was committed.

Came home today to start the belts, and was trying to release the tension on the AC compressor idler pulley, and "pop" there went the head of the tension bolt. :mad:

So, I'm stuck with now having to add on getting a new AC compressor bracket, along with the other items...

I may be out for Uwharrie this weekend....
Anyone have a bracket?

OK, looks like I needed to loosen the center bolt in the pulley, before cranking on the idler nut...

I think I needed a new idler pulley anyways, as it was squealing... That's my story...

Brian I'm a bit confused - you need a whole new bracket for the compressor? I don't recall offhand the dimensions of that bolt, but cannot it not be replaced? I have a spare used idler pulley if you need it. If you need a hand after work one night, say the word.

Ditto, if you need any help. Even if it's just a second set of eyes.

One word of experience, I would recommend using some loctite on the A/C belt idler nut. The last time I replaced the belt, I guess the nut wasn't tightened enough, loosened up, and fell off. Luckily when the belt broke, I didn't lose the pulley.

i'll offer to help also.. after work tue/wed or anytime thursday/friday if you need it.

OK, looks like I needed to loosen the center bolt in the pulley, before cranking on the idler nut...

I think I needed a new idler pulley anyways, as it was squealing... That's my story...
So exactly what broke? just the bolt? the bracket itself? anything we can weld back together?

Count me in after work one day if I can help too.

I've also got a spare one of those bearings Trollhole mentioned sitting in the garage.

Little more info on the problem, now that I'm in a good state of mind. Snapped at Lily last night as I broke that bolt, so I feel kind of bad, especially since today is her birthday.

Yes, just snapped the tensioning bolt, but the pulley itself is on the rusty side so Chris at Fred Anderson has a replacement ready for me tomorrow.

So, I'm going to take off the old pulley, and belts, place the new belts on tonight. Then tomorrow replace the pulley and tensioning bolt.

Should be OK, but last night I couldn't tell if I needed to replace the whole bracket or just the pulley. After studying the FSM a little more, I was a little less frantic.

Nothing like some last minute issues to come up before a camping trip.... Good thing is that I'm getting some good weather to drive the 40 around, while the 80 is under the knife!

Well new pulley and tensioner and belt are on. Anyone have a tip on the best way to release the alternator tensioning bolt? The power steering lines get in the way... I'm assuming an offset, but of course I left mine in Fayetteville. A socket doesn't fit in there, and my box is too short. I guess I may just have to go out and get some extended length wrenches...

I'd have to look at it again, but I've done it several times either with a socket (+extension?) or with a swivel gear wrench. Worst case, bring the belt with you this weekend and we can swap it at the campsite. definitely don't need anything fancier than that because that's what I have.

May be obvious, but note the alternator tensioner is somewhat like the a/c tensioner in that there is a lock bolt and an adjustment bolt...

Well new pulley and tensioner and belt are on. Anyone have a tip on the best way to release the alternator tensioning bolt? The power steering lines get in the way... I'm assuming an offset, but of course I left mine in Fayetteville. A socket doesn't fit in there, and my box is too short. I guess I may just have to go out and get some extended length wrenches...
For the tensioning bolt I used a universal joint swivel on the socket and a really long extension so it came out over the fender behind the battery. ..a 12v impact made it even easier.
If you mean the bolt to release so you can turn the tensioner I can't remember so I'm no help. Now I'm curious and I'll have to take a look when I get home.

Just don't lean on the radiator and break that little hose connection trying to force the belts on like I did. Learned later it goes on the outside of the idler pulley not inside like a tensioner. Oh well, sometimes I learn the hard way.

Last edited:
I got to the lock bolt with no problem, it's facing the front of the truck. It's the adjustment I'm having troubles with. I did go out and buy a 12mm gear wrench, which is also a little longer than my usual 12mm, so hopefully that gets it done.

Everything should be ready to go tomorrow. I'll make the distress call to Eric in case I have any issues! :D

just yell, i'll be there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom