Amaurer Gauge Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
So I bought one of these fantastic Amaurer gauge sets and brackets used because they are NLA.
Aftermarket (even mechanical) gauges into STOCK cluster!!! It's used and the wires were not connected. I replaced the wires in the connector to make them color correct. Now I need to figure out which wire goes to which connector. Who's done this that can help me out?

barrel connector lay out mirrored.jpg
20200314_194314.jpg
20200314_194333.jpg

Working my way around the barrel connector
1. Ground - white/black pretty straightforward ground to cluster
2. Oil pressure sender - It's a 3 post gauge and the middle is ground. Which one should the yellow/black attach?
3. +12v from ignition - blue/red I haven't got a clue. (Voltmeter?)
4. Fuel sender - Another 3 post gauge and I'm supposed to skip the middle. So which one for the yellow/red?
5. Water temp - It's a 3 post gauge and the middle is ground. Which one should the yellow/green attach?
6. High Beam - red/yellow straightforward to the light I'm using for the HB indicator
7. VSS - blue/white skipped
8. Turn signal Right - green/yellow straightforward to the light I'm using for R turn signal
9. Turn signal Left - green/black straightforward to the light I'm using for L turn signal
10. Meter Pilot Lights - red/black goes to the positive wire on controller for the EL wire light
Bonus Question - What do I connect to the voltmeter?

So I tracked down the wiring instructions for the Autometer 2391 gauge set which I think is what came with this setup.

The three posts are to be hooked up to 1. ground 2. sending unit and 3. switched 12v. (pretty sure... clearly electrical is not my strength)

Ground is the middle so that's obvious.
For the switched 12v I'll just splice four leads into the Blue/Red for each of the gauges. But how can I tell which post is for the sending unit vs. the switched 12v? The autometer gauges were originally marked s and i but the casing is removed for them to fit the cluster. And the schematic is no help on the stock fuel gauge.

@tornadoalleycruiser Do you remember any of this? I scanned your thread again, but couldn't find it.

mine is out and in a box at the moment, let me look.. Not like i'm gonna go to the office or anything!

I have the complete kit installed in my 40, but it's been so many years since I installed it that I don't remember anything you need to know, sorry!

I can confirm that the gauges provided in the Autometer 2391 set are the same ones that came in the kit from Drew. The kit came with wiring instructions from Drew, but also individual gauge instructions from Autometer as I recall. If I still have have them, they are packed away inaccessible in all of our household stuff in storage. You might check on Autometer's web site though, if you haven't already.

I can tell you that the 12v power to the Autometer gauges is only for the lights in them, so if you want them to dim along with the rest of the dash cluster lights, you'll want to splice them into the dimmer/rheostat function of the headlight switch in your 40.

@1911 good to know about the lights. What I thought was an i must have been an L. That should make it easier to tell which post is for the sending unit.

The plus sign is 12v keyed. Middle is mounting bolt, nothing hooked to it, s is sensor which is the ground per gauge. I'm running an aftermarket fuel gauge so no help there. Volt meter is 12v key on the +, and ground on the -.

20200326_151529.jpg

20200326_151548.jpg

@tornadoalleycruiser That helps a bunch. My gauges don't have the cardboard insulation that indicates S and +. But I'll assume they are the same as yours with the sensor on the left and 12v on the right. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom