Aluminum body -- good place to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Winter project: aluminum (or perhaps fiberglass?) body

I'd like some suggestions on who to buy from based on your experiences. I think all or most aluminum bodies are shipped from British Columbia, so shipping costs won't make a difference. I'm looking for a company that has good customer service just in case I have a question or two about the process. Based on lots of smaller stuff that I have ordered, I've been very happy with CCOT and TPI...

Feel free to P.M. me if you'd prefer.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
1978 FJ40

Thanks for the link.

There's some great information on "alumacruiser's" thread. I've been following it for a while, but I noticed that he did not respond to another guy's question about where he bought the aluminum body. I did not want to add the same exact question to the thread again...
Alumacruiser could/would probably give some great advice if I got into a jam.

I think I'll do a Google search for Aqualu bodies.

In the meantime, I'd be interested in getting some more recommendations.

aqualu.com has some good tubs. My husband has had a lot of customers who have gotten tubs from them and they are nice.

I bought mine directly from Aqualu, they were good to deal with.

I just shopped around for the cheapest price back in 2003. Mine was a 78 and earler tub and fit just fine. I think the price was 1900 with 200-300 for shipping. I put it on with one other person. Good luck.

I bought mine direct from Aqualu. They welded the tub to te cowl and fit the half doors for me before shipping along with a discount from list for buying the whole package. They were easy to deal with and set-up shipping as cheaply as they could.

nocents

I'd go with Cruiser Solutions. Speak to Ted the owner. They do a lot of aluminum tubs and an awsome shop. He is really great to deal with and will answer any of your questions. I didn't buy a aluminum one but I got a really nice used one from him. I just couldn't afford to go with aluminum.

I bought my tub/cowl already joined together by the guys at Aqualu. Todd and the rest of the crew were great to deal with and any questions that I had were quickly answered.

I Called arounded and Rocky Mountain gave me the best price on shipping.

I bought my aluminum tub from Cruiser Solutions. Very nice to talk to. What I was told before I bought mine was it didn't matter what business you bought the tub from, they all are made and come from Aqualu. Just look for someone who will give you a discount.

Mark

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I didn't know about Aqualu until I checked this site, but right now it looks like that's where I'll start. I'll call Rocky Mountain Cruisers, too. [ Although several of you have recommended Cruiser Solutions, I'm hesitant to do business there again (even though it's a lot closer than the other places).]

mobiltoy, since I live on the East coast, the estimates I've gotten on shipping have all been in the $700 - $800 range. Apparently the bodies are made in British Columbia. I'm glad to hear you say it only took two of you to do the job. The friend that is helping me has restored two FJs (a 40 and a 45) and many Jeeps, but he's always used steel, not aluminum.

huston53, I like what you had to say about Aqualu. Did your husband install any of the tubs, or did the people do it on their own?

Many of you who replied have switched to aluminum. Are you happy with your decision? I know about the benefits, but are there any major drawbacks that I should know about before spending $3,000?

Dave

A common issue is galling if there is contact between steel and alu parts. Use rubber spacers or lots of good paint between the parts.

Fitment of parts is not as good as factory steel. I have 1st gen parts though--I'm sure they've improved.

That being said it sure is nice having a 40 with clean wheel wells, a rear sill, etc.

Cheers,
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom