Alternator or something else (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve been reading a bunch of posts on alternator failures and I’m pretty sure that is what happened to me but looking for confirmation before I got talk to a mechanic/dealer.

I have an 06 LC with a dual battery setup. It has 175,00 miles. I have a front and rear light bar and some side lights which are run by a switch pro. Also a fridge but it was off but still plugged in.

Today we drove out to a nature reserve that is about 30 mins away. We went in to pay for the day pass and the truck was off for about 5 mins. It ran perfectly fine the whole way there. As we walked back to to the LC we could smell something that like electrical burning but couldn’t tel where it came from. When I started it up I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine so I opened the hood. It sounded like it was coming from the fan but there was nothing in it upon inspection.

The belt was tight and in good shape. We decided to head home because we didn’t want to get stuck on the trail. About 5 minutes down the road the nav screen shut off and then restarted then shut off for good. I started to get random lights like the VSC and ABS. About this time the fridge alarm for low voltage went off and when I checked the scan gauge I had about 8.5 volts. About 5 minutes later the car died and wouldn’t restart. I tried jumping it and could get the windows to roll up (wanted to lock it up for the night) but the car would not turn over it would just click click click.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've had an alternator regulator burn out (or begin to burn out) that had a smell of burning electrical parts. I'd say it's pretty certain that its the alternator in your case.. but just to be sure, check the battery cables and make sure they are firmly connected still. Also, its fairly common for the alternator to chirp, not tick; pull the serpentine belt and rotate the alternator pulley by hand to see if its the cause of the noise.

Did you check all the wiring around the alternator and batteries. Make sure the terminal connections are tight (battery) and the wiring
Is all tight into each of the wire lugs.

Thanks, is it worth trying to limp it to the mechanic or just get it towed? It died fairly quick the last time.

You can drive for quite a while with almost no alternator if you have good batteries. If you can charge up both your batteries easily, I'd try that and see how far you get. If that all sounds like a hassle, just get it towed.

I had alternator failures twice while on road trips far from home. Both times, I had a group 31 battery with enormous Reserve Capacity. that allowed me to drive quite a bit on very little alternator help.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, I have dual batteries also. Check the battery connections.

When I did the new alternator I changed to the sequoia/tundra alternator. If I remember correctly our stock 99 LC alternator is 90amps vs the 130amp sequoia/tundra one. Just needed to redo connector to the alternator.

Did you check all the wiring around the alternator and batteries. Make sure the terminal connections are tight (battery) and the wiring
Is all tight into each of the wire lugs.
All the battery connections are tight. I haven’t checked the wording on the alternator. I have a skid plate there that I have to take off first. I’ll definitely check.

You can drive for quite a while with almost no alternator if you have good batteries. If you can charge up both your batteries easily, I'd try that and see how far you get. If that all sounds like a hassle, just get it towed.

I had alternator failures twice while on road trips far from home. Both times, I had a group 31 battery with enormous Reserve Capacity. that allowed me to drive quite a bit on very little alternator help.
That’s what make me think it could be something else. The batteries were fully charged and we had been driving for 30 minutes. The car was off for maybe 10 mins and after starting it died only 15 mins later. We are stationed overseas and the batteries were dead when the car arrived after shipping from the US. I recharged both but I’m wondering if they are bad now as well?

That’s what make me think it could be something else. The batteries were fully charged and we had been driving for 30 minutes. The car was off for maybe 10 mins and after starting it died only 15 mins later. We are stationed overseas and the batteries were dead when the car arrived after shipping from the US. I recharged both but I’m wondering if they are bad now as well?

That could be. If batteries are very dead, they can be a drain on the electrical system. Batteries are normally easy to test, though. Charge it up and if voltage drops much below 12V after charging it's in need of reconditioning or replacement.

That could be. If batteries are very dead, they can be a drain on the electrical system. Batteries are normally easy to test, though. Charge it up and if voltage drops much below 12V after charging it's in need of reconditioning or replacement.
I will charge them again, they have ran fine for about 2 months since I charged them the first time but I haven’t been monitoring the voltage lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom