Alternative GPS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this thread is very similar to the tesla style radio threads, but this seems to be a slightly different approach, but converting the LC to a separate climate control and gps / radio display.

Was mainly wanting to ping the forum and see if this is viable.

1657638777508.png

Putting in my 2c. I put a Tesla Style radio in my 120. It checked a lot of boxes: CarPlay, better camera. But left a lot to be desired. The screen was very glossy and hard to see in the daytime. The interface was pretty slapdash. For example, the touch screen temperature +/- buttons didn't work. Had to use the hard buttons, which is fine. But it shows the lack of attention to detail. Had no ability to use Siri or voice to control CarPlay or any function of the device. I was never able to use Google maps built into the unit no matter what network I connected to (phone or at the house).

I can't recommend any of these fly by night replacements and would only ever turn to the main brands (Pioneer, Alpine, etc) for any kind of replacement. I acknowledge they don't make a great replacement... so I'm sticking with OEM on the 200.

Putting in my 2c. I put a Tesla Style radio in my 120. It checked a lot of boxes: CarPlay, better camera. But left a lot to be desired. The screen was very glossy and hard to see in the daytime. The interface was pretty slapdash. For example, the touch screen temperature +/- buttons didn't work. Had to use the hard buttons, which is fine. But it shows the lack of attention to detail. Had no ability to use Siri or voice to control CarPlay or any function of the device. I was never able to use Google maps built into the unit no matter what network I connected to (phone or at the house).

I can't recommend any of these fly by night replacements and would only ever turn to the main brands (Pioneer, Alpine, etc) for any kind of replacement. I acknowledge they don't make a great replacement... so I'm sticking with OEM on the 200.
I recently installed a Tesla style unit and everything is working fine so far, including the heating controls. Google Maps works fine. Screen glare is definitely there, but I installed a screen cover that helps with that.

I was afraid there would be a wide range of outcomes, as i expect there is a wide range of QC happening at the manufacturer. The only promising thing to me on this one was splitting out the climate controls to hard buttons [which i wish was the factory option]. i think my display has an internal fuse blown [every other button works], screen works fine] but looks like more troubleshooting will be required and the OEM replacement seems to be $9k.... time to find a wrecked one.

I was afraid there would be a wide range of outcomes, as i expect there is a wide range of QC happening at the manufacturer. The only promising thing to me on this one was splitting out the climate controls to hard buttons [which i wish was the factory option]. i think my display has an internal fuse blown [every other button works], screen works fine] but looks like more troubleshooting will be required and the OEM replacement seems to be $9k.... time to find a wrecked one.
Buy me a Tesla screen and I'll be happy to send you my whole Nav system for free ;)

Buy me a Tesla screen and I'll be happy to send you my whole Nav system for free ;)
LOL

I've actually been debating whether I should sell my factory nav system or hold onto it "just in case".

I think you know this, but for others reading the thread, this is the same brand a few of us put in our 2016+ LCs recently, just a slightly different model for older 200 series.

I know you were joking, but if someone wants that deal for a 2008-09 model, will happily do it. Losing the buttons to actually turn off climate control in my current setup is concerning, and potentially pretty $$$.

Poverty pack controls for a/c and a plain radio are pretty appealing at the moment…

I know you were joking, but if someone wants that deal for a 2008-09 model, will happily do it. Losing the buttons to actually turn off climate control in my current setup is concerning, and potentially pretty $$$.
I wasn’t entirely joking. But I’m not sure the 2013 nav retrofits easily into the 2008-2011 model years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom