Alrighty...so my 1997 Collectors Edition does not have ABS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First its not an issue, I am not a fan of ABS.

That said...

Did all LC have ABS? My dash has no ABS light on, and it definatly locked up in the last ice storm we had.

So how bout it was ABS excluded on some or has mine quit and the light burned out?

Thanks ahead of time...

TMK all later LC's had ABS. Possible burnt out light or removed??

Your truck has ABS, it is either not working properly, or it was working and you did not realize it.

Or someone removed it.

Does the ABS light come on when you put it in 4low?

Does the ABS light come on when you put it in 4low?

Good point, the light remains off I believe. When you put in 4L the light turns on stating its de-activated.

When the ABS is working, the sopping in ice/snow isn't too bad.
With the ABS off (w/ center diff locked in in 4Low or 4High) you can really get slidding! :)

I suspect your dash light is burned out and the ABS fuse is blown or something...

Remembering the E-brake problems you found earlier, I wonder what the state of your ABS sensors are?

That said, if they were wounded or missing, I'd think that would cause the ABS warning light to come on. Could be some PO butchering in this case, too?

In any case, when you start the truck, you should briefly see the ABS light come on then go off as part of the self test. If it does not come on briefly, or if it stays on and doesn't go out, then you have an ABS problem.

Remembering the E-brake problems you found earlier, I wonder what the state of your ABS sensors are?

That said, if they were wounded or missing, I'd think that would cause the ABS warning light to come on. Could be some PO butchering in this case, too?

In any case, when you start the truck, you should briefly see the ABS light come on then go off as part of the self test. If it does not come on briefly, or if it stays on and doesn't go out, then you have an ABS problem.

Cool, so where is it at in the dash? Case it aint coming on...and where is the ABS fuse? Under hood or in dash?

And also, its definatly not working....slide slide slide but I really dont mind...Im sure its all there...cause now I remember seeing a post about ABS sensors on the front and I saw mine the other day...

Also I am planning on doing a complete stereo upgrade Sunday and while the dash is apart my plan is to install CDL...SOOOOOOO I will know more then when I try it...or I could put it in low (hope it works) not alot of need for low round here...

Last edited:
Cool, so where is it at in the dash? Case it aint coming on...and where is the ABS fuse? Under hood or in dash?

And also, its definatly not working....slide slide slide but I really dont mind...Im sure its all there...case now I remember seeing a post about ABS sensors on the front and I saw mine the other day...

ABS sensor fuse is under the hood. Your owner's manual can tell you which one it is. I pulled mine the other day because my ABS was coming on when it shouldn't. Maybe your previous owner was having the same problem as me so he pulled the fuse and turned out the ABS light before selling it. The light is on the far left side of your instrument panel.

mfred,
ralphy has it right.

The ABS light on the dash is on the left lower side of your dash. The farthest left warning light when you insert and start to turn your key should be your airbag light, then next to it should be ABS in big red letters. If it's not there and lighting up as I stated above, you gotta a problem somewhere.

Hey, is the airbag guy missing, too?:whoops:
Hope not!

mfred,
ralphy has it right.

The ABS light on the dash is on the left lower side of your dash. The farthest left warning light when you insert and start to turn your key should be your airbag light, then next to it should be ABS in big red letters. If it's not there and lighting up as I stated above, you gotta a problem somewhere.

Hey, is the airbag guy missing, too?:whoops:
Hope not!

Hey now my ABS light may not be on...but lets not pick on my airbag guy:clap: He is a happy camper...

ABS in big red letters. If it's not there and lighting up as I stated above, you gotta a problem somewhere.[/QUOTE]

My ABS is Yellow, not red (I see it all the time while driving with the fuse pulled).

ralphy,
Glad I don't have to look at it all the time!
You're right. It's not red, looks more like orange to me, but I'll go with yellow, too.

Ok, so I did some investigating...

My fuse is good, so looks like the light burnt out. Brakes work fine just no ABS. At this point I'm not interested in spending the $100's of dollars it would take to mAke this right.

Although I bought it off a dealership, and they should have checked it...but it was an eBay purchase and the guy is in NY so probably wont get any money out of them.

Oh well...by by ABS

Are you sure it is not working. Even with ABS the wheels will lock, especially on ice.

Are you sure it is not working. Even with ABS the wheels will lock, especially on ice.

Well the light doesnt fire up when the truck is started...

But honestly man this doesnt feel like abs at all...its like having an old school car again...I am going to run any codes that my be on the computer just to see.

How does it "not feel like ABS"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom