All new Roof Rack Diet... Mine was a bit too big :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the story...
I bought the FJC but after measuring the total height, it became obvious that the underground parking at my work wouldn't accomodate the truck. The truck seemed to be measuring about 6'10 to 6'11" (depending on gas load I'm guessing) and the parking lot is limited to 6'5". When I found that out, I drove downtown to see if there were any lots with higher clearance but none to be found except outdoor ones and those all have signs up saying 'no monthly spots available' so here is the compromise I had to go with....

A Roof Rack Diet.

Rack removed from truck.
fjc3003.jpg

One of the pillar torx bolts removed. Pillars are plastic and appear to be all the same.
fjc3004.jpg

Bottom view of one of the mounting 'feet'
fjc3005.jpg

Rear ODD pillar. This is the only pillar that needs to be 'dealt' with. This is an H shaped plastic pillar that is needed to keep the 2 sides of the rack together but if you want to keep the option of going back to a full rack later, you won't want to cut this to make it nice as it won't allow for the two level rack unless the shape is maintained.
fjc3006.jpg

There is a little hole (square) that allows access to a torx screw without having to remove the foot.
fjc3008.jpg

Here is the one spot that I had to make a 'permanent' alteration to the bottom rack section. I had to drill two holes on the top so that I could mount the H Piller horizontal (not pretty but make the Pillar reusable later).
fjc3009.jpg

Back view showing the H Pillar (connector) with it's new mounting orientation.
fjc3010.jpg

Top view showing the H Pillar (connector) with it's new mounting orientation.
fjc3011.jpg

Side view showing profile of completed roof rack reduction.
fjc3012.jpg

Side view showing profile of completed roof rack reduction.
fjc3017.jpg

If you want to do it and have questions, msg me and I'll help where I can.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:
FJCruiserOwnersGroup said:
Wow! It looks so ... svelt!

Can it be put back to ... err ... "normal" later?

Yup, that's why I didn't alter the H pillar :cool:

I plan to put it back together if I find a better parking spot at work but for now, this will have to do.

You were smart enough to focus on the overall height. I took mine to the mall today and hit (lightly) a low hanging clearance sign (it was setting lower than the others) on my way into the parking garage. The FJ actually did fit in the garage, as I rolled down the window and peeked up as I crawled the car in slowly, but it only had about an inch or so of clearance.

THe pictures and in fact the in person view doesn't quite get you focused on where the top of that rack is. I need to go look at the specs, but it might be higher than the landcruiser with factory rack.

EDIT: Just did that and indeed the FJ is a LOT HIGHER than the 100 series cruiser with rack. I would estimate about 4-5 inches higher. I think both of them measure about 72 inches without the racks, but the FJ rack adds probably 7+ inches of height. I don't think it will fit in my existing garage.

Last edited:
what are you doing to fill the holes left in the roof for the front mounting locations

EAST TX FJ said:
what are you doing to fill the holes left in the roof for the front mounting locations

Getting a set of the trim tabs that are on the rain channels before the roof racks get fitted in port. The dealership is looking into part numbers etc but it may take a bit as they can't figure out how to order them.

:rolleyes:

FusionCruiser said:
Getting a set of the trim tabs that are on the rain channels before the roof racks get fitted in port. The dealership is looking into part numbers etc but it may take a bit as they can't figure out how to order them.

:rolleyes:

It's a little baggie of parts, they're called "Accessory Covers." If your guy can't find 'em, call www.TRDsource.com and talk to Matt (actually, you can talk to any of the guys there; they ALL know about the FJC!). They can drop ship to you pretty quick.

FJCruiserOwnersGroup said:
It's a little baggie of parts, they're called "Accessory Covers." If your guy can't find 'em, call www.TRDsource.com and talk to Matt (actually, you can talk to any of the guys there; they ALL know about the FJC!). They can drop ship to you pretty quick.

Cool, I'll give them a call b/c my Toy Parts guy has no idea what to order. :eek:

Thanks!
Shawn

TLCgrappler said:
You were smart enough to focus on the overall height. I took mine to the mall today and hit (lightly) a low hanging clearance sign (it was setting lower than the others) on my way into the parking garage. The FJ actually did fit in the garage, as I rolled down the window and peeked up as I crawled the car in slowly, but it only had about an inch or so of clearance.
Not a good idea - the clearance signs mark the lowest clearance in the garage, not the overall clearance. If you hit the marker ... back up.

Tucker

Fair enough. IF I ihadn't been familiar with the garage from my 80 with extra Thule cross bars, and the 100 with factory rack, I probably would have, but I just couldnt believe it wouldnt fit. Of course, I thought it was shorter than the 100, which was not correct.

In any case, the sign I drove under was hanging lower than the others,...I didn't see it before I swung it.

So... i got a chuckle reading this yesterday.

Last night, I picked up my fjc..... this morning, I notice the garage clearance at work is 6'4 :eek:

Looks like my rack may be on a diet!!

AS

straneye said:
So... i got a chuckle reading this yesterday.

Looks like my rack may be on a diet!!

Lots of celery and watermelon. ;)

I'm kind of getting used to the skinny rack. It grows on you.

As I posted in the other thread, I measured the height with roof rack at 78 inches. You just don't get that impression that it would be that high,

Given how strong the rack feels , I sure wouldn't want to see what was "going to give" if you ran under somthing pretty solid. On a lot of cars, ti would be the rack, but on this one you'd worry that the rack might be strong enough to allow some structural damage to the roof frame before it came loose. Of course, Toyota engineers have often considered issued like that and are a step ahead.

I'll bet though, that it becomes the most frequent "first repair" item.

Thanks for the tip - exactly the issue I have wiht my FJ and I think I am going to have to remove rack to get it in the garage.

Shawn,

Thanks for posting this. A very inventive solution. We are having trouble helping customers to mount tents on their FJs - the rack is a little higher than necessary for many applications.

On a related note, Thule's new fitment guide refers to the FJC as a "2007 FJ40". WTF? They list the 450 CrossRoads as fitting the rack with minimum 50" Load Bars. Tall and taller.

Mike

I FIT in my garage, but I will be doing this mod. I think the stock rack is butt ugly. This allows the Demello baby shovel or other accessories to mount up there sideways if needed.

I might just remove it completely, but this is far better than that ugly crap factory 'bullhorns' looking sob.

I think it looks great and was a inovative mod of stock while using most of what was provided. I'd be intrested in how/if it affects mileage too.

Well I was thinking of having one installed and I think that the parking issue might me the deal breaker for me... I like the way they look. Is there any other rack that could be put on the fj that isnt as tall?

Last edited:
What's the Rack Tube Diameter?

Do you know what the tube outer and inner diameter is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom