Ali, the 2008 HZJ76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the 1HZ move it along nicely enough? 😊

Expectations have been met... Though it felt quite loud after my rented Yaris :rofl:

What an interesting rear bumper. Is it homebrew or branded?

I've received a few inquiries about the bumpers... They appear to be NGO spec. Can't say very much more, only that I've seen them in use at other such organisations - for example in this video: (This video also shows where I'm intending to mount a winch. :) )
Also have seen them at the Kenyan Red Cross, for example.

Expectations have been met... Though it felt quite loud after my rented Yaris :rofl:

I've received a few inquiries about the bumpers... They appear to be NGO spec. Can't say very much more, only that I've seen them in use at other such organisations - for example in this video: (This video also shows where I'm intending to mount a winch. :) )
Also have seen them at the Kenyan Red Cross, for example.

Those cutouts in the bumpers for the hi-lift are pretty sweet! Is that common? I've never seen a hi-lift actually deployed so wasn't sure...

I picked up Ali at the shop over in Jebel Ali yesterday evening and drove the truck for the first time. Very interesting experience. Pretty close to my 1996 troopy with the 1FE carb, but the cabin experience of the RJ77 now in Florida. And certainly my first time driving a 1HZ with 1500 km on the clock. Here is Ali resting happily in the parking below my apartment.
1642489410464.png

It all started with yet another Emirates Auction link sent by my UAE friends. The surprising array of vehicles sold through this auction amazes and shocks, sometimes it makes me a little bit sad or else burst into laughter. I’m always glad to receive them, see a piece of automotive history for sale or perhaps that beater 80 series with a million clicks…

This link, however, was to two nearly-identical 2008 HZJ78’s, one with 11km and the other with 12km on the odo. Plastic wrapping from the factory was still on the various controls, an extra set of MT tyres rammed into the back, VIN sticker on the drivers-side rear door window. Factory roof-rack, modified steel bumpers front and rear, sand ladders mounted above, a hi-lift jack attached to the floor in the rear. Basic trim (but surprisingly with cloth seats), air conditioning, AM/FM cassette radio, jerry can on the back. The VIN numbers indicated 08/2008, which means an August 2023 import date into Canada - absolutely palatable! A lot of dust, perhaps some sun damage...

View attachment 2880779

View attachment 2880782
View attachment 2880785View attachment 2880786View attachment 2880787
So... this is going to be in UAE until Aug 2023 and then import it to Cananada? Will be in storage or will you be there to use it sometimes during that time?

So... this is going to be in UAE until Aug 2023 and then import it to Cananada? Will be in storage or will you be there to use it sometimes during that time?
Haha, yes it will stay in the UAE for the next ~1.5 years before coming to "Cananada". I will be able to use it as my time permits... hoping to make some nice trips. Oman and UAE are possible, KSA is a question mark, but would also be a great dream.

Wow, what a stellar find! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it in the coming years. Good on ya for trekking into Oman with it. I miss the Middle East something awful.

Well, I'm behind with my musings. As usual. Argh.

Firstly, I hinted above to the installation of a rooftop tent and awning, both from QuickPitch. The RHS awning is newly available and fits perfectly for both Ali and perhaps eventually for Ozzi (whose extra door is on the RHS). Was able to reuse the original roof rack mounting legs from the OEM rack that was on Ali, I think they distribute the weight quite nicely over the roof and not only on the gutters.

97e1ecbd-17c0-4dcd-b852-b151be9a210c.JPG

0bf5e061-d55c-40ca-864f-84768c40fb94.JPG

57eeb877-7bc5-4b8f-a0e1-a7964efc4f13.JPG

This was in late February, I had a trip planned to go camping/exploring in late March.
Ali's caretaker informed me in mid-March that the air con was giving him troubles, not blowing cold consistently and squealing. I sent it in to the mechanic and he diagnosed it as low A/C gas with a leak in the evaporator - spoiler, that doesn't appear to be the case and I'm still having intermittent A/C problems.

We arrived on March 31 late at night, and my good friend @t00manyuserz, who happened to be in Dubai at the time, picked me and my dad up from the airport. Unfortunately all our checked bags (two suitcases, a box, and a duffel) were missing upon our arrival. Most our camping gear, clothing: everything. The next morning, three of the four pieces had arrived - two suitcases and the box (containing a cooler), but the duffel was nowhere to be found. We made a round to the airport, picking up our bags, and decided that there was no point waiting for the fourth bag as it could arrive the same evening, in two days, or never.

So here we are packing our belongings into Ali in front of our hotel in Dubai, quite the spectacle I assure you.

IMG_7270.jpg

In retrospect, we had prepared and packed rather well, especially for a camping trip in a place halfway across the world from where we live. The only thing we completely missed was some sort of storage bins, so the rear of Ali was quite the mess. It got better progressively, as we managed to organize certain things, but at the beginning it was a disaster both aesthetically and organizationally.

With a cooler full of ice, we headed to the hypermarket to stock up on supplies (firewood from Namibia and Estonia? check!), and then intended to proceed to Decathlon to buy our missing sleeping necessities, which were in the duffel bag. Along the way I spotted an IKEA - hey, why don't we stop there instead? This gave us the opportunity to buy luxurious down duvets and sheets, plus towels, and a CROCs store happened to be in the same complex as well! Hopefully that would be everything we needed...

We had planned to cross into Oman that very same day (let's call it day 1), but as we were nearing the border I did some mental calculations and decided that we would be unlikely to get to camp before sunset - terrible for a trial run. So instead we hit up a camp spot suggested by @goexplore that was just short of the border - and it was spectacular, we were completely alone and had a great view. A great first spot, indeed.

2O4A0960.jpg

Showing off our fresh bedding...

IMG_7294.jpg

The first night - despite the jet lag - was great, and we crossed the border on day 2 - the new Hatta border post opened since our last visit in December, and made the experience slightly more streamlined.

After crossing into Oman, we filled up ($0.67/L, or $2.536/gallon), as the prices in the UAE went up >30% overnight from March 31 to April 1 ($1.09/L, or $4.141/gallon)! A stop at the Hypermarket in Sohar was made, where we bought some other items that had been in the duffel bag (frying pan...) and some more food.

Campsite for day 2 was Jebel Shams - the highest point in Oman - and famous for its sunrises. It was probably the most touristy spot I had on my rough itinerary, but it was on the way and a "must-see" in Oman.

IMG_7379.jpg

IMG_7377.jpg

2O4A1055.jpg

As with many/most places in the ME, there was garbage around - take garbage bags to clean up camp first - and goats, too. There were also other campers, who pulled in late (after sunset) and decided to plunk down too close for comfort. Still, it was a great spot and we did have some peaceful moments before the sun set.

Day 3 did begin with a nice sunrise, and after packing up camp we headed down the mountain to Al Hamra, a beautiful oasis with enchanting narrow lanes of lush green that made for a beautiful foreground for more pictures of Ali...

2O4A1155.jpg

2O4A1179.jpg

The old town was also a great spot for more pictures...

2O4A1160.jpg

We headed to our intended resting place for the night, in this case a hotel, and not a campsite. (The plan for this trip was two nights camping, one night hotel, two nights camping, one night hotel, and two nights camping once again.) The Alila Jabal Akhdar is located on the "Green Mountain", and actually somewhere I had visited previously (December 2019). The road up to Jabal Akhdar is strictly 4WD only, not because it's rough (in fact, it's beautifully sealed tarmac all the way) but because of how steep it is. There's actually a police checkpoint at the bottom to check on each driver as they enter. The 4WD requirement is a bit excessive, but certainly the continued steep gradient was trying for our 1HZ-powered steed. We sauntered along at ~40km/h in second gear, keeping the right foot relatively loosely applied to the pedal... After climbing the main stretch, we explored a few potential campsites on Jabal Akhdar, and pulled up to the hotel.

IMG_7537.jpg

Where Ali was promptly parked in a fitting ;) manner, next to another unicorn for the region (a non-AMG G!):

IMG_7551.jpg

The Alila is a great hotel, but Ramadan did impact the experience somewhat. Despite the fact that it's a secluded resort and the vast majority - if not all - of the guests were foreigners and expats, the restaurant with a view was closed off and the general experience was a bit muted. Nevertheless, this was just a stop to clean up and refresh, given that our camping equipment was slightly limited.

IMG_7681.jpg

After filling up with ice and water, we left the hotel and proceeded to explore some potential camping sites, mostly attained from perusing satellite maps. One was a dead end - literally a faded sign next to the road hinting at prosecution if we proceeded further - and another lead only to a inhabited area.

2O4A1243.jpg

2O4A1248.jpg

...but there was excitement along the way, without a doubt.

IMG_7683.jpg

Yes, yes the (in)famous Omani school bus Troopy's, seen here parked - you guessed it - in front of a school!

IMG_7684.jpg

In fact, almost all the Troopy's in Oman are school buses, and we spotted them countless times ferrying children - often girls - to and from school.

Last edited:
We proceeded to Sayq, the only town of note located here, and stocked up at the supermarket.

IMG_7692.jpg

An unusual colour leading this convoy.

IMG_7690.jpg

We happened to be on Jabal Akhdar during rose harvest season. Honestly, it was all a bit of a disappointment - while eye-catching because of the raw contrast, the general ambience of the terraced gardens was one of neglect and disuse, with many of the terraces completely abandoned, and the others strewn with garbage and plastic water lines. Not much tradition of the falaj (water channel) left here; the most ubiquitous vehicle in Oman today is the blue water truck.

2O4A1250.jpg

2O4A1257.jpg

2O4A1260.jpg

Last edited:
Our camp for day 4 was a spectacular spot, 5 km down a track leading towards a diesel-generator-powered communications tower (note: not a cell phone tower, rather a microwave repeater), and then another 1 km further to a quiet spot on a precipice. Turning around and backing into the spot took some time, especially in 4LO, and levelling was a challenge which I dare say we excelled at, but it was all worth it.

2O4A1298.jpg

Where's Waldo... err... Ali?!

IMG_7710.jpg

2O4A1304.jpg

2O4A1317.jpg

2O4A1353.jpg

Fantastic story- write up - and photos. Best of MUD 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom