Alaska Cruiser Trek 2020? Discussion opportunity/chance for input as the decision time is approaching. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
As chance would have it, I have been pondering the past few days about whether to pull the trigger on making the Alaska Cruiser Trek 202 happen or not. The question was asked in Mud Chat today. This is a link to that thread... Input solicited. It might not be heeded, but it is solicited. ;)

Mark...

11296624_386867411521853_261783173_n.jpg

Last edited:
Laying under our FZJ80 doing some maintenance yesterday I wondered if "Ruby" would be up for a second ACT twenty years after the first. I couldn't come up with a reason why not. Except perhaps the 2011 200 series parked next to it.

An experience of a lifetime we'll never forget. An epic adventure that led to many more.

kk01.jpg
p1010124.jpg
p1010015.jpg
p1010020.jpg
p1010088.jpg

We worked out most of the kinks and missteps over the years after that first Trek Jim. But I still fondly remember turning Peter loose 50 miles from the trailhead to lead the way over a route none of us had ever actually run headed for a connection we were "pretty sure" could be made. ;)
And I had forgotten how narrow that shelf road was that year until I saw your pictures here. Yep, good times indeed. ;)

Mark...

As someone that generally tries to anticipate and prepare, I found the unknown and the uncertainty most enjoyable. The kinks, missteps (and anything with Peter) are the best memories. :)

p1010099.jpg

I'm in for 2021. That will be 10 years in between!

Could there be an Alaska Cruiser Trek in 2022? @Mark W

My dad, my son, and I had an amazing time on the Trek in 2010. It was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. I just rebuilt the 12H-T. Wow, my son could drive some of it this time.

Well as one that has tried to get to my Alaska property last year and got denied by the canadian borders guards(still had Colorado Driver licence), We had both taken tests(and could show negative), Papers showing my property and cabin, and fully kitted out to go the 2 days border to border. All we needed was fuel(two-three) It was a grueling 4 hr wait(longest I have ever waited at the border). We got turned around at the border. My wife was told if she attempted to cross the border or fly into Canada while the Covid closure was in effect. She would be banded from Canada for life. I was not told this, but was told to have some papers with me on a past arrest, but was acquitted in a jury trial.
Anyhow, currently only essential people may travel thru the Canadian border, with a current covid test.
Quite a few Alaskan residents last fall had to either winter over in Alaska or store their vehicles and Fly out at the end of the year. I even know of one Couple that
lived in Oregon driving back from Ninilchik AK. He had an Alaskan drivers license, and address. She had an Oregon Driver license, and the motor home was registered in Oregon. She had a terrible choice. They would not let her Husband travel thru Canada, He was where he belonged, in Alaska. She on the other hand could travel
thru on her own in late September if she wanted, but with out her husband. They returned to Ninilchik, stored the MH and fly home.
With the way the roll out for vaccines in Canada is going, I would not count on the border opening any time soon, maybe even till next year(2022). Gone is the good old days of travel thru Canada, easily. American's do not seem to be too welcomed these days. I was told to my face, it was not a" right" to travel thru Canada, but a privilege.
Which is true. I have traveled thru Canada for a good 10 years with no issues, Never any till this last year. That counted for nothing. Nor was a properly prepped vehicle and knowledge of travel routes and knowing some routes had washed out last late summer(Cassier hwy).
I know who to thank. People that lied to the Border agents they were traveling thru Canada to Alaska, and were caught in vacation areas. Also the lack of
people taking the Covid Virus seriously in USA.
Anyhow, I hate flying. But it may be my only choice again to spend part of my summer in Alaska, and the Fall to help the father moose hunt.

ACT has been on my bucket list for a long time. Hope to have a chance to join some year.

I've been following these and a good friend of mine has been on one. I don't think I would make the 2020 but I hope to be on the next one!

I'm in for 2021. That will be 10 years in between!

Could there be an Alaska Cruiser Trek in 2022? @Mark W

My dad, my son, and I had an amazing time on the Trek in 2010. It was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. I just rebuilt the 12H-T. Wow, my son could drive some of it this time.

ACT has been on my bucket list for a long time. Hope to have a chance to join some year.

ACT 2022 anyone???

Just touching base in this thread since I am spending a bit of time in mud again these days after a longish break.

I assume it is pretty clear to everyone that there is not any Trek happening this year.

There has been talk at this end about the Trek happening again in 2022. Hard to say how much real interest there will be from all you "outsiders" until we get closer. Aside from our hopes and your hopes, the most important factor is going to be just what Canada is doing with their borders for American Travelers.

We'll be watching things to see how it all develops. One way or the other, it will be announced by the end of November this year and information/application packets will be available then.

Mark...

Here is a question for all the day dreamers looking at this thread. Even asking it is a bit of day dreaming on my part.

This is just food for thought, no plans being made yet. Soliciting input that may or may not be ignored when all is said and done. ;)

If you have a choice of a trip that puts more emphasis on driving and vehicle time, or one that adds more day hikes, relaxing in camp and enjoy the surroundings time, which do you gravitate to? Keep in mind that on the Treks, you are in the field full time, trail head to trail head for 8-10 days.

If there is a full day spent in pretty but soft terrain (boggy tundra/taiga, not full on swamp) with muddy slow travel, repeated winching, sometimes the whole group needing to be winched and, by Alaskan standards, not a lot of distance covered? Is that a bad thing or a good thing. A terrible thing or great fun?

Suppose there were a couple of days (not consecutive) like that? One in the woods, one in the high alpine country.

Do you prefer overall challenge for the rig and driver or overall relaxing?

Do you and your passengers prefer roughing it or "Glamping" We won't be pushing the envelope in either direction, but which way do you lean?

Obviously when we plan the Trek we always have to keep in mind that most of the rigs drive up and drive back home... not to mention that the Trek itself usually runs from 250-300 on up to 400 miles of trail travel. If more days are spent on more challenging stuff, then the total could easily drop below 200. Doubtful that we will ever see a Trek of less than 175 or so. Not with the time we spend.
With all of this in mind we are very aware that breaking rigs to any serious degree might be a really bad thing and we keep the possibilities of that low as much as we can without being little old ladies about it.

If you had the choice of spending your entire Trek time getting as far from the road as you can, immersed in the wilderness from beginning to end, OR breaking the time in half.. less distance away from the trail head, hit the road system and spend a half day moving to another area with significantly different terrain and environment (Pass through a town for gas and grub if need be) and then heading back in for the rest of your time... which appeals more?

Just mulling some things in my head as I take a lunch break.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom