AISIN hub carnager...cheaper than a birfield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BIRFIELD + AISIN hub carnager...cheaper than a ?

Well I got out today with AMMO and we ran the John Bull trail and part of Holcomb Creek in the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest of SoCal. I got hung up pretty well on a large boulder where all my weight was on the cat skid plate of the Hanna slider and my xfer case skid. Lots of forward and backward fully locked, wheels turned lock to lock, etc. Pretty much begging for it. Noticed some nasty clicking as I finally got off of it (after kissing a tree). Went up a bit further and unlocked the CDL and stopped moving. A little testing and we figured out the hub was toast. Not sure if it's normal but toast means it just freewheels. Locked the CDL and put the other hub to free and went on home. Here's what was inside. The dial split apart internally.

Anyone have a dial laying around?

Last edited:
dial split

carnage

Last edited:
That seems like an odd part to break since it doesn't take any of the torque load. Are you sure nothing else is broken In there? Bad luck Mike.

Last edited:
Hey Andy, that's kind of why I posted - I've never seen it before and don't know why it broke. There aren't any signs of it taking a hit on the outside.

Everything else checked out, I can go in 3-wheel drive when fully locked. I'll put on the driveplate just to make sure the birfield is fine, but I could get the shaft stub to spin when locked.

clownmidget said:
Hey Andy, that's kind of why I posted - I've never seen it before and don't know why it broke. There aren't any signs of it taking a hit on the outside.

Everything else checked out, I can go in 3-wheel drive when fully locked. I'll put on the driveplate just to make sure the birfield is fine, but I could get the shaft stub to spin when locked.

It's interesting to say the least. I have found that cv axle systems, and axle systems in general are like water, they seem to find the path of least resistance.

In the rover world, we found that we could design the stub to fail, versus the cage or the inner. I believe that Bobby designs his cv's to fail at the stub as well. Lord knows I would rather loose a hub than any part of the axle. Kinda like being able to pull the drive flange and go home.

PS, midget do you already have the spool in the tcase for p/t use?

are you running chromo axles or are you stock? Seems pretty strange to me...but that doesn't mean much.

z80 said:
PS, midget do you already have the spool in the tcase for p/t use?

If he did, he wouldn't have needed to lock the CDL to drive home... he would have already been in 2wd. :cheers:

wierd carnage clown... :popcorn:

No p/t case in xfer, still have to pull the front driveshaft if I want true 2wd. I had put the hubs on in order to let me limp home if I blew up a birfield or r&p, again with pulling the front driveshaft. So I guess they did what they were supposed to do, just did it in a really weird way I can't explain and was hoping someone had this happen before. The birfields are the original ones. That was another reason for the hubs - $40 vs $700 ;)

Also, will try and convince AMMO to post some pics. He had invited two Toyota corp. guys that were in a 1st gen IFS 4Runner on 33 MT's to see what two 80's on 37's could do :grinpimp: Pretty fast and furious trail run with absoultely no other trucks on the trail until nearly dark.

CruisinGA said:
If he did, he wouldn't have needed to lock the CDL to drive home... he would have already been in 2wd. :cheers:

wierd carnage clown... :popcorn:

duh... I missed the cdl part... I just read the "i put it in and it still worked" part...
sorry.

clownmidget said:
Also, will try and convince AMMO to post some pics. He had invited two Toyota corp. guys that were in a 1st gen IFS 4Runner on 33 MT's to see what two 80's on 37's could do :grinpimp: Pretty fast and furious trail run with absoultely no other trucks on the trail until nearly dark.

Sorry Mike, no "still" shots of you yet, need to edit the footage. But here's some stuffin 37's and climbing a big tree.

-Matt

Last edited:
Actually you both can be right. The CDL switch acts as the "auto" 2wd to 4wd switch once you have the p/t kit in with the manual hubs :bounce2:

Matt, what do you think of those hub inards?

Nice poser shots, folks will think we found one small rock on a fire road and a couple of downed trees in the parking lot :rolleyes: :grinpimp:

Mike,

Nice!

I have seen a few hubs shatter, but never seen the dial give up, usually the inner splined cup / retainer. I bet you had a previous crack in the dial, since the inner cage held up.

Bobby Long is also heat treating the inner hub splined peice with great success (running them on my 40). These have been known to spin splines off the birfield stub.

I'm fairly sure I have a spare dial - whats it worth to you ;).

Joe

Ah, Joe! Since you're local, a fair amount :crybaby:

did you hit DV this weekend?

CruisinGA said:
I've never seen anyone with as many poser shots ammo....

:flipoff2:

Nice Avatar... ***er...

Well when you think about it aren’t they all?

-Matt

Mike,

Didn't make DV this weekend - bummed! Let me know next time you go out, I'll tag along in one of the cruisers.

Is this the part you need:D

Do you have the "Nutsert" installation tool?

Email / call when you want to stop by & get the dial

Joe

Last edited:
Gawd what a tease :D

No on the nutsert tool. I borrowed it from Amando who borrowed it from David Q. It is sweet though and is so much better than my home-brew version. I used it for the snorkel a-pillar mount. Whatcha need one for?

Will do on the trail run and dial. thanks

Krikey, I pulled the driveshaft and now the damn thing doesn't want to turn right(the direction). Somethin' ain't right in the front end so it'll be interesting as I dig into this some more. Right now the front end is unlocked and both hubs are supposed to be free wheeling. The blown up one has no inards in it (just the dial), but maybe the other one is fubar'd too. It turns fine but I admit I didn't chech that one. There's no nasty noise at all when I rotate the pinion flange but I'll have to put the driveplate on to get it all to spin together.

Seems weird that it drives fine except when I go to turn right it gets bound up immediately and feels like the power steering decided to go south. Left turns are fine. Guess I'm ready for NASCAR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom