AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha, that's a mountain outline!

Yup, 25 lbs is definitely ok. We've never seen one break, but I'm tempted to do some destructive testing just to see what it takes to break one. We tested up to 45 lbs and you start to get some flex, but I think it was a long ways from failure. It's aluminum brackets holding aluminum rails so it's a sturdy thing.

Keep in mind the sleeper spacer is more of an aesthetic thing. Once you toss a sleeping pad on top for sleeping and lay on it, it all stiffens up. Functionally, it's totally fine as is. The spacer concept just eliminates that visual bump and unweighted movement.

Grocery getting: For large items, it's great. Costco runs are fantastic. For lots of loose small items, a tote or a universal all-weather mat goes a long ways. We played with various bedliners previously and while very durable, most of them stink (polyurea is a significant health hazard during application and can off-gas for a long time - not ideal for an enclosed car cabin), they're annoying to clean unless you can powerwash the surface, and some of them are abrasive enough to snag on the less-durable performance fabrics. Carpet is great... until you spill a beer, cooking oil or some other not-water liquid. We've carpeted a few systems and it's nice to crawl around on and keeps loose cargo quiet, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.

For my daily use, large items are great in the back on the platform with or without sleeper. I carry some "Snatch-its" and use those to hold gear down as needed. Small items generally go in the second row or in a drawer.
When I had my F350 crewcab overlander, for the back I used a rubber backed indoor/outdoor carpet.
Considering we're at the beach, snow, camping, etc. it worked great! Just pull it out and hose it down.
The rubber backing kept it from sliding around the bed of the truck when we had stuff on it and added to a little padding. The carpet topside was great as it too added to the padding and kept "stuff" from sliding around when driving.
I just purchased it at my local Lowes.
In short, if I were to do your setup, I'd just go with the same material I used in my truck. Simple, cheap, easy care and works.

New Product Alert! We have just launched a removable drawer cover cutting board! This ships assembled and snaps right on top of all existing SS1 Drawers, including our GX460. All the pics are shown on a 200 LC, but it will be the same design/appearance for the GX460.

20230712_110154.jpg

This removable cutting board adds even more utility to your SS1 drawer and sleeper system. Made of incredibly durable Richlite composite, this cutting board will stand up to heavy duty use. Resistant to knife cuts, heat and water, Richlite won't warp or crack over time.

The cutting board stows securely on top of your Air Down Gear Up drawer, turning it into valuable working space. The feet firmly hold the cutting board in place while traveling, and allow quick removal for access to your gear or transferring the cutting board outside the vehicle.

20230712_110233.jpg

20230712_113200.jpg

Last edited:
New Product Alert! We have just launched a removable drawer cover cutting board! This ships assembled and snaps right on top of all existing SS1 Drawers, including our GX460. All the pics are shown on a 200 LC, but it will be the same design/appearance for the GX460.

View attachment 3372364

This removable cutting board adds even more utility to your SS1 drawer and sleeper system. Made of incredibly durable Richlite composite, this cutting board will stand up to heavy duty use. Resistant to knife cuts, heat and water, Richlite won't warp or crack over time.

The cutting board stows securely on top of your Air Down Gear Up drawer, turning it into valuable working space. The feet firmly hold the cutting board in place while traveling, and allow quick removal for access to your gear or transferring the cutting board outside the vehicle.

View attachment 3372367

View attachment 3372368

What's the cutting board made of? Will it resist blood and juices staining and soaking into the wood?
With all due respect, and truly love the idea, a better material would have been a sheet of Polypropylene or Delrin. Relatively cheap, light, UV and chemical resistant, easy to machine and what most cutting boards are made of.

What's the cutting board made of? Will it resist blood and juices staining and soaking into the wood?
With all due respect, and truly love the idea, a better material would have been a sheet of Polypropylene or Delrin. Relatively cheap, light, UV and chemical resistant, easy to machine and what most cutting boards are made of.
This is made from a composite material called Richlite. It's commonly used as cutting board material. It's a completely non-absorbent material that won't ever stain, warp, crack or rot. It's a pretty incredible material that we've used in other places in our system and we can't say enough good things about it!

Reactions: r2m
This is made from a composite material called Richlite. It's commonly used as cutting board material. It's a completely non-absorbent material that won't ever stain, warp, crack or rot. It's a pretty incredible material that we've used in other places in our system and we can't say enough good things about it!
Wow, a new material I haven't heard of! Being an R&D engineer, I usually pretty familiar with most materials, especially biocompatibles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom