AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 5th Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been camping with air matresses the better part of 50 years and most of the time they deflate because they leak and are junk. The last 25 to 30 in the back of vehicles on the trail.. This air mattress as I stated stays perfectly inflated with very little fluctuations. Yes you get a little bit with temperature but that is minimal effect especially when you lay hot bodies on them. So basically I know the difference between the others I have used and the performance of this air mattress.. Hence the post. I have a feeling most who have used air mattresses will be able to relate..

Last edited:
Looks like some real awesome set ups above. Might be a little bit of a hijack here but if you just need a sleep set up and don't mind unloading a few totes I have gotten the best nights sleep ever camping with my truckairbedz air matress. Never loses air, super comfy, has a bag big enough to get the thing back in it without a engineering degree and fits the 5th gen 4runner like a glove. other bonus is it is powered inflation and deflation..

It might go ontop of your platform set ups well too..

View attachment 2712220

Not long before we purchased our iKamper RTT (which we love) we were getting to the point of not wanting to wake up crawling off a ground pad and sleeping bag. I did some research and found the Etekcity inflatable bed. When we were using ground tents, this "bed" would inflate to 22" high! It was great when getting up in the morning being able to actually sit upright out of bed to stand up! As you get a little older, getting off the cold hard ground in the morning is not as easy as it use to be.

But also on that note, and to segue to your comment about not needing air in the middle of the night.
The reason ALL mattresses seem to feel deflated in the morning is NOT because of a slow air leak, although, I'm sure that is the case sometimes.
What is really happening, especially in higher altitudes or colder climates, when one inflates their air mattress, it's usually done in the middle of the day, nice and warm out when setting up camp.
Well, the colder it gets through the night the more air compresses (think inter-coolers for turbos) and the air in your mattress sucking up all the coldness from the ground. By around 4-5:00 am it is just about it's coldest outside, thus all that nice warm air you pumped into your mattress when if felt really firm, is now sagging like a bad facelift. So you go and fill it when it's really cold and by the middle of the day, you risk the possibility of bursting your mattress as the warm air expands.
So when you say your air mattress always stays firm, I have to think that is because you don't have it on the ground where there's a lot more cold thermal contact than in your nice warm vehicle.

But all-in-all, nice setup!
Yes, I had a truck beds mattress and tent on my 91 pickup. Loved it! Very comfy indeed.

The downside with that or any other thick inflatable mattress is that it's just a lot of volume consumed and the associated convenience cost if you are just placing it on the floor.

With the SS1 we can give folks both premium sleeping comfort and tons of vehicle storage in the same cabin volume. :)

Hi Everyone, it's been a long while since we've updated this thread so we wanted to share the latest development for 4runners.

If your 4Runner has a 3rd row, we have a solution for you! We have developed a 3rd row delete and anchoring system that allows for the use of any of our systems in your 4Runner.

This is the same anchoring system that we utilize in our GX systems. With all of the 3rd row seats/brackets/trim removed we have created a floor plate that results in level surface, and a structurally sound anchoring system. We are able to tie into the M10 bolts that the 3rd row seats bolt into.

The result is a rock-solid system that allows you to run any of our systems: Platform/Sleeper, drawers, Slide out tables, Kitchen, etc. We are beyond happy with how the seat delete looks and performs. This is a great way to optimize the storage in your 3rd row 4runner.

20220607_110431.jpg
20220607_164613.jpg
20220607_165729.jpg
20220607_164629.jpg

Following up on the previous post; we were able to get a set of drawers installed on this 4 Runner with our 3rd row delete. We are very happy with how this all turned out!

20220802_151827.jpg

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom