Airbag Recall Requires Two Appointments??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I called Serra Toyota two weeks ago with my VIN. I questioned the color and they assured me it would be the same. I get a call last week telling me that the part is in. I go to the dealership today to have it replaced and went through the same thing with the service adviser. I asked him to double check and make sure it was the same color. He confirmed that it was. About two hours later I come back to pick up the truck and he tells me that it isn’t ready and that I was right, they did send the wrong color. They sent black and my belt is gray. He said they were going to have to call corporate to figure it out ?? Wtf. He said he would call me next week when the new belt arrives.

On a side note .... a salesman at the dealership asked me what size motor was in the 200

Stuff like this is why I haven't done this recall yet. Did you think about trying Hoover instead of Serra?

Got the notice in the mail, made the appointment at the dealer. Gave them the VIN at time of appointment. Go in today and wait for an hour only to have them come back and say that Toyota doesn't allow them to order the parts until they actually see the vehicle and verify the VIN. They say that Toyota does this to prevent dealers from 'hoarding' parts. Anyone else have the same experience?

I received the recall notice, and called my local dealer who took down the VIN, and called me back a week later to say the parts were in. I made the service appointment and took the truck in. After waiting for about 90 minutes, the truck came back with the recall performed with a color matched new belt assembly and washed.

I did not even buy the truck from them, and yet their service was excellent.

Last edited:
My dealer is 10 minutes away. Went in WEDS morning and they said they need to order part with VIN but it would be here next day. 45 minute procedure the next day. If they asked if they could work on anything else and I have him the “look.”

They did air up tires though....

If you thought every possible variation had already been told, you'd be wrong....

Called Cedar Park Toyota (I feel like dealers deserve to be named, good or bad) and said it was about the recall. Gave them the VIN and they said they'd call back to let me know status of the part.

Days go by, no call. So I called them. Service adviser #2 tells me that I have to schedule an appointment before they can order the part. Complete opposite of what first person told me.

How do you know the part will be there by the appointment time?
It will. We wouldnt schedule the appointment if it wasnt going to be in.
But you scheduled the appointment before you ordered the part. How could you know before you knew what to order?
Thats just the way it works.

Called a few days ago...

Can you see if the part will be in?
Do you have an appointment?
October 27. (Over a month after I first called.)
It will be here.
Shouldnt you check.
No need. It will be here. We check all that before we schedule the appointment.

This does not inspire confidence. When the appointment finally rolls around, they're going to have to show me the part before I give them the keys.

bloc, might still call your guy in south austin.

I went round and round @ Magic Toyota. Talked to Service manager, Customer Relations manager, etc. It seems as though there is either a tan belt, or black. (Even though the dealer days there is only one part number they can order.)
Has anyone on here actually had a gray belt installed??

I went round and round @ Magic Toyota. Talked to Service manager, Customer Relations manager, etc. It seems as though there is either a tan belt, or black. (Even though the dealer days there is only one part number they can order.)
take a picture of your belt and write a letter (on paper, in an envelope with a stamp - certified or registered) to Toyota. The address is in the back of your manual. Explain that the dealer can't find the correct belt and ask the to supply the dealer with the correct part number - and an equivalent loaner while the car is waiting for parts.

I suspect that your dealer will find the correct part very quickly.

I just talked to my local dealer again about the black belt issue and am getting the same answer. They insist that the black belt is what Toyota has designated as the replacement belt for my dark gray interior (2009 LC), and that there is no gray replacement belt option. FFS. I guess the next step is to contact Toyota corporate, but at some point chasing this down is not going to be worth the time.

I just talked to my local dealer again about the black belt issue and am getting the same answer. They insist that the black belt is what Toyota has designated as the replacement belt for my dark gray interior (2009 LC), and that there is no gray replacement belt option. FFS. I guess the next step is to contact Toyota corporate, but at some point chasing this down is not going to be worth the time.
And that is what the dealer is counting on. See my comment directly above yours. It'll cost you $5 and 10 minutes

After a couple of more discussions with the dealer and Toyota corporate, it's sounding more like the "black belt for gray interior" issue may be a screw-up on Toyota's end for certain model years (and not a dealer issue). Still working on it and will update here if I make any more progress.

I'm gonna do what @ceb suggests. See what shakes out.
So there is one important thing to understand about why a letter is important.

Since it is registered/certified, somebody at the main office needs to sign for it, slice it open and put it on somebody's desk. Once on the desk, it needs to be read and will sit on the desk, festering, until action is taken.

If you keep your letter short (under one page, but you can include supporting documentation) so that the reader can immediately understand what the problem is, then they'll agree that it is a problem and take care of it.

Got my recall done today. After a few false starts ordering the part and scheduling the appointment, it went smoothly today. Toyota of Cedar Park (TX). Besides doing the recall, they did their normal inspection routine, which includes evaluating the alignment. Since I had just replaced tires, I was happy to learn that the alignment was dead on. So I used their wifi, ate a free banana and a free cookie and drank too much free bottled water. Also got to chat with the parts guy and get a lot of info on swapping lock cylinders. Shop was so clean you could eat off the floor. First time there but very impressed in case you need a dealer in central TX.

Dipshits put black belts in my gray interior LC. Gotta go back....................

Please update and let us know if you actually get a gray belt. AFAIK, no one in this thread who has received a black belt for a gray interior has been able to exchange the black replacement for a gray one. My dealer is still telling me "this is the part that Toyota has allocated for the recall on this vehicle, there's nothing we can do." Letter to Toyota pending.

According to the thread, gray is available.

It should work out (or not) this week.

Please update and let us know if you actually get a gray belt. AFAIK, no one in this thread who has received a black belt for a gray interior has been able to exchange the black replacement for a gray one. My dealer is still telling me "this is the part that Toyota has allocated for the recall on this vehicle, there's nothing we can do." Letter to Toyota pending.

mine only took "one appointment" at Toyota of Poway, but I called ahead to make sure they knew I was coming in for it. I say "one appointment" because I only made it a block away after the appointment before I realized that the Airbag light was on in the main console so I had to go back and have it checked/cleared.

No go for me on replacing black belts. Dealer said none offered; I called 888-270-9371 and after a brief hold, was told the same. Nothing but black. Rep gladly opened a case/file/whatever to let Toyota know of displeasure and rep did say he heard same from other LC owners on issue.

Case closed.

I did get my belt installed ... and they gave me a loaner while they waited for the part.

However, unfortunately I couldn't get the map update like others have.

Some models qualify for the Map update (recall) FIX .. but they didn't have my 2016 vin on that recall list.

So I continue with this fantastic mapping ....

(Yes I am driving down the road to the right)

IMG_20191019_102821.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom