Air up/down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made this a few years ago to air up/down all four tires at the same time. It has been done before and I know you can buy them; this is just the way I did mine. Works good.
Bill

That's cool and the gang and all BUT is it really worth it on the trail? Seems to me you would have to have a huge friggin tank to make it worthwhile...

Aaaaa Nick,

He does, It's on the roof along with the rest of his house :bow:

Gadget my father-in-law would be proud of! He's got a large workshop and a car port for three cars and he's got pvc running all over the place with quick connect nozzles for compressed air, all hooked into two compressors!

For airing up, if you could find a way to fit a York setup on a 1FZ-FE you would be set, 10 CFM at any pressure would crank those tires right up at once, and you save labor, just hook them up, turn on the compressor and crack open the passenger..er fridge for a cold one while waiting. You also get the exact same pressure in all tires this way.

Bill, I think all you do is sit at home and think of cool gadgets to build when you aren't in the field using those cool gadgets. :bow:

The hose ends are the common kind with the little lever that you squeeze and push on. If you want I will post a picture. My compressor is a Currie/Thomas and I have two 6 gallon tanks manifolded together.
Good point about it being a pain to hook up. Where I have found it to be nice is if it is hooked up for a little while the pressure equalizes in all four tires. The way I do it is before I hit the trail I hook it up and just open that ball valve and watch the gauge. It works fairly quickly. When I get near where I want the pressure to be I shut the valve and let it equalize for a bit. Airing up just the opposite. Also, notice the tire stem in the manifold fitting. If I'm near a garage I can hook up the hoses, close the ball valve and use their air to inflate all four. Oh, I also carry a regular straight hose if I want to do just one tire, run my air tools, or use my air jacks.
It is just another gadget that is of limited use but it might be just the thing someone was looking for and may help them out.
Bill

Bill,
I have to tell you how disappointed I am with that primitive air hose set up.

I expected you had already rigged up on board air with inflators in each wheel that will air up/down any or all tyres at the same time. Like the Hummer setup where you can control everything from the driver's seat at 70MPH.  

:G

Seriously, that is a neat set up and would avoid a problem I had this weekend with one tyre that was overinflated last week when Sears rotated all 5.  Before a trip, hook everything up, let them equalize, inflate/deflate as necessary, then go!  

-B-

-B-,
Maybe this will help make you less disappointed in me. I have something called Smartire installed in my tires and it would have helped you out. http://www.smartire.com/fl/They are sensors that send tire inflation pressure and temps to a console I have by the gearshift. Here is where I bought mine. http://www.dickmantires.com/smart_tire.html It can be set up sound an alarm if a tire is going down etc. Two drawbacks at least: the vehicle has to be move something like 100 feet before the sensor wakes up and sends info. Also, it seems with big tires my alarms go off in the morning when the tires are cold and register as underinflated. It could be that I don't have it set up right as setting it up is not very intuitive. I got the model for RV's since it came with six sensors as I was carrying two spares.
Hmmm......... on board tire inflators ::)
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom