Air Lift 1000 Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m going back to my initial guidance.
If you are looking for constant 3/4” lift, get a spacer. Air bags are not intended for you to level out an unloaded vehicle.

If you load it up, get both. Spacers and airbags.

Airlift has sold individual bags to me at -$50 per bag for replacements about a year ago. Figure that rough cost per bag makes sense.

I’m going back to my initial guidance.
If you are looking for constant 3/4” lift, get a spacer. Air bags are not intended for you to level out an unloaded vehicle.

If you load it up, get both. Spacers and airbags.

Correct, air bags are a TEMP fix for TEMP loading/height conditions at the rear of our rigs. The cheap/common Airlift kits are NOT the heavy duty air springs used in their pricier kits (usually a metal base, more secure air line connection, tougher bladder material).

Hey what would you guys recommend...?

Grommet = slightly smaller hole which seems borderline restrictive during suspension articulation..

Or no Grommet = leaves more space but doesn't have the edge protection... Hole without grommet is 1-3/8" and I drilled the existing (off-center) hole

PXL_20210529_234528207.jpg

PXL_20210529_213411061.jpg

Picture below is with Grommet but the bag is not in its "natural" position... The nipple wants to migrate to the edge of the grommet opening and sort of rub against the side

PXL_20210529_210507656.jpg

Please share your recommendations..

Thanks!

I have tried a good bit to make it work without cutting a larger hole....but no dice. I think cutting a larger hole is the answer with or without a grommet.

Anyone else with the VSC lights and check engine light on immediately after installing the Airlift?

Never had an issue after install. Sorry I am not more help.

Got my bags installed, and everything went great at 35psi towing last week (500 miles).

I used the 60755 kit, since I have the 863 heavy springs in the rear. Worked out very well.

View attachment 2724651
Single axel on a big caravan. How do you stop your rig doing the hula down the highway?

Single axel on a big caravan. How do you stop your rig doing the hula down the highway?
Wow. Agree. That is a lot of trailer. And a single axle to boot

Installed bags on my ‘05 LX this weekend, thought I’d share some photos & ideas.

The existing factory hole in the lower spring perch is not centered to the spring. Test fit the airbags and mark center where barb touches perch. I drilled a pilot hole at the mark (about 1/2” from existing hole) and used a 1-1/4” hole saw.
AB49D09B-1939-4FD1-AAD7-9191848688C3.jpeg

These are the hole plugs cut out. The crescents are the factory holes.
9AF85326-E684-4EC1-8126-31AC9E581ECA.jpeg

Routed the airline through wire harness grommet on LH quarter panel. Enters cabin under jack storage bracket.
45A4D362-543E-4F38-BC33-FC65BD0E83D0.jpeg

Which makes for a perfect location to mount a 60psi pressure gauge and schrader fitting. Hidden when cover panel is installed.
65F3A9FB-6E84-4623-8AC0-CCDE319678BB.jpeg

Installed bags on my ‘05 LX this weekend, thought I’d share some photos & ideas.

The existing factory hole in the lower spring perch is not centered to the spring. Test fit the airbags and mark center where barb touches perch. I drilled a pilot hole at the mark (about 1/2” from existing hole) and used a 1-1/4” hole saw.
View attachment 3055868

These are the hole plugs cut out. The crescents are the factory holes.
View attachment 3055867

Routed the airline through wire harness grommet on LH quarter panel. Enters cabin under jack storage bracket.
View attachment 3055874

Which makes for a perfect location to mount a 60psi pressure gauge and schrader fitting. Hidden when cover panel is installed.
View attachment 3055875
I like your schrader valve and air gauge install and location. Mine just sits in the wheel well, on the plastic shield that covers the filler neck.

I like your schrader valve and air gauge install and location. Mine just sits in the wheel well, on the plastic shield that covers the filler neck.
Me too. Your location is so much classier.

I will have to comfort myself with the knowledge that my valves are accessible once the truck is loaded to the gills and I realize I didn’t put enough air in preemptively…..

I installed my Air Lift bags yesterday. Install went smooth. Much easier than installing air bags on my Tacoma! First side took longer than second because I had to figure out how I wanted to do it. Wish I had taken more pics. I did not remove the springs in the end. The LX AHC springs allowed me to remove the bump stop through the coils and push the deflated bag into the spring that was as well. I marked a circle where the bump stop had touched the perch assuming that was center of the spring instead of the existing hole. Then I used a pneumatic (die grinder?) to make the hole bigger. Once it was about 1.25" then I deburred it with a spherical grinding bit on the same tool. Everything seemed to line up well. I put one valve on each side of the trailer plug. Seems perfect for me.

As for jacking up the LX... I drove the opposite rear tire onto a ramp, jacked up the axle on the side I was going to work on, removed the wheel, let the jack down until the outer hub part of the axle was resting on a wood 4x4. Then I jacked up the frame to get as much droop as possible. I didn't unhook shocks, sway bars, or any lines.
1000015322.jpg
1000015321.jpg
1000015323.jpg

I installed my Air Lift bags yesterday. Install went smooth. Much easier than installing air bags on my Tacoma! First side took longer than second because I had to figure out how I wanted to do it. Wish I had taken more pics. I did not remove the springs in the end. The LX AHC springs allowed me to remove the bump stop through the coils and push the deflated bag into the spring that was as well. I marked a circle where the bump stop had touched the perch assuming that was center of the spring instead of the existing hole. Then I used a pneumatic (die grinder?) to make the hole bigger. Once it was about 1.25" then I deburred it with a spherical grinding bit on the same tool. Everything seemed to line up well. I put one valve on each side of the trailer plug. Seems perfect for me.

As for jacking up the LX... I drove the opposite rear tire onto a ramp, jacked up the axle on the side I was going to work on, removed the wheel, let the jack down until the outer hub part of the axle was resting on a wood 4x4. Then I jacked up the frame to get as much droop as possible. I didn't unhook shocks, sway bars, or any lines.
View attachment 3508848View attachment 3508849View attachment 3508850
Good thinking for the Install - mine are burst so I might have a go at replacing - I'll use your technique

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom