Air Intake Temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is sort of a follow up to my other post, but felt the specificity warrants its own thread. What are others getting for Air Intake Temperature (while driving -- not heat soak)? I don't think it would matter much if the vehicle is modified, other than a modified airbox setup (CAI, snorkel, etc.).

I'm not so much interested in peak temp as I am temperature differential -- that is the IAT minus ambient. On a road trip this weekend at 60mph and 79*F ambient my ScanGauge was reading 139*F. That's a 60*F delta! I find it really hard to believe that air temp rose that extreme from a tire well to the MAF sensor. Air filter is brand new and MAF cleaned.

So, what are your deltas?

By any chance are you running a dual battery setup with the second battery in front of the air box?

HTH

It *might* matter if you have a snorkel is the air should be a tad cooler (closer to ambient). The air under the truck (closer to the ground) is going to be much warmer than ambient. Easily a 50 degree swing from ambient air temp vs ground temp (maybe higher on blacktop as the day goes by). Couple that w/ the heat from the engine I can imagine it gets pretty hot down there.

Good point by Gaijin there. I run 2nd batt, but don't have a reader to measure my temps.

I do not have a second battery, but good point. Before I consider a snorkel, I'd just like to make sure my temp readings are inline with what others are getting.

IIRC I was seeing about 20-30F higher reading than the ambient air temp. Snorkel helped a bit (maybe 5-10F tops) but not a ton. I assume the temp sensor is far enough into the engine that it picks up some heat regardless of actual intake temp.

My understanding is that it's the MAF that reads IAT. The MAF is located just behind the airbox, so basically you have less than 12" of airflow from the passenger tire well, through the filter and into the MAF.

This thread sparked my curiosity, so I measured the following temps after driving for approx. 30 miles in 45 minutes, stopped and immediately measured the temps with an infrared thermometer:

Exterior of Air Box (top and sides were the same): 145 DegF
MAF sensor exterior: 160 DegF

Ambient from my weather station: 90 DegF

I do run a second battery and have noticed, by touch, that my air box feels much warmer since the battery was installed.

Obviously not apples to apples with a scangauge reading or similar, but a good indication that the incoming air is subject to some pretty high temps on its way to the engine.

HTH

Posted this pic before but here's the stats during a 30min drive to work in the AM, ambient temp was in the mid 60s.

AWuVV2t.jpg

Posted this pic before but here's the stats during a 30min drive to work in the AM, ambient temp was in the mid 60s.

Must be the high clearance bumper!

So the question is -- if we both are running modified (heavy) vehicles with similar setups, how the heck (or why) are you getting 10*F deltas whereas I'm consistently about 40, even 60 in some cases? Doesn't that imply something is amiss?

I know this is an older post. But I brought my IAT down to 75 from 120.

Outside air temp 70-85
Rises slightly when driving slower

I’m running in FZJ-80 with a snorkel and a ARB front bumper

Home insulation wrap and a 4”diameter heater duct that i cut up and fitted to scoop up cold air from the lower right and blow it onto the exhaust. That way it cuts back on radiant heat. NOT tested in water but im also runnning a dual battery, althou i cut off the top of the battery tray.

030C17E6-B4FD-4B04-BE3A-0EB406CD1B4B.jpeg

2ACB5CC6-4076-4714-A45B-F32CD4D93556.jpeg

I generally find the same as @turbo8 that IATs track 5-10F of ambient. Except for two cases. Probably both helped by a snorkel setup.

When the engine is working hard, like really hard lugging a load hill. Heat probably coming off radiator. 91F ambient, 126F IATs
1666144050518.png

Idling or crawling in low range, IATs can soar. Here's slow crawling up a mountain - 88F ambient, 160F IATs.
1666144127286.png

I generally find the same as @turbo8 that IATs track 5-10F of ambient. Except for two cases. Probably both helped by a snorkel setup.

When the engine is working hard, like really hard lugging a load hill. Heat probably coming off radiator. 91F ambient, 126F IATs
View attachment 3144420

Idling or crawling in low range, IATs can soar. Here's slow crawling up a mountain - 88F ambient, 160F IATs.
View attachment 3144423

What app are you using on your phone to get these displays?

What app are you using on your phone to get these displays?

OBD Fusion. This thread should help. Many members have contributed to what's here. There's some great alt dashboards deeper in the thread too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom