Air filter hose previously re routed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi just curious as to why the previous owner may have un hooked the hose i am pointing to,
12696058_1164806333529549_1432686448_n.jpg
12696245_1164806436862872_2097177977_n.jpg

And run this hose off it and out the bottom of the truck.

The inlet on the air filter was blocked off with electrical tape, so i pulled it off and set it all back up how it should be as seen in the first picture.

Where does the other end of the hose go to? That's a diesel and most folk on this subforum have petrol 80's.

There is a diesel subforum that may get you a quick answer.

Anyhow, the filter end of the hose would be under partial vacuum while the engine is running, so presumably the other end of that hose goes to something that toyota wanted to provide a low pressure path (crankcase etc). Maybe it was too oily etc., so the PO decided to just let it drain onto the ground. At least the PO bunged up the airfilter end - though electrical tape is a real kludge!

cheers,
george.

It goes strait to the head, thanks for the info the diesel sub forum I never realised. And yea that does make sense, would I be better off setting it back up how It was ?

Yep, like I figured, it's just crankcase fumes getting sucked into the engine to be burnt. PO probably didn't like the oily stuff going through the turbo/intake into the engine.

You could always add an oil catch can (search for it) to trap excess oil blow by versus feeding it straight into the turbo/intake (post air filter you'll note). Quite a few folk do the same on the petrol vehicles on the PCV hose (adding the catch can that is).

Old school was to just vent those fumes/crap to atmosphere...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom