Air Conditioning Clutch Fails to Engage from Dash

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bruiser, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bruiser

bruiser

Tried the Searches, but my Air Conditioning clutch fails to engage from the A/C button on the dash. The little green light comes on, but there is no volts at the connector on the compressor. Fuse checks out OK. If I pull the connector to the compressor off and jumper in 12v direct, the clutch operates as expected.

Is there any other stuff I can do or is the problem with the Air Con ECU???? :doh:

2. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Sounds like your refrigerant is low. The pressure switch (I think) would not allow the clutch engagement (which could damage the compressor). Have it checked by a professional.

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

I second your R-134a being low...but you can check and refill with a simple kit from any auto parts store.

edit...well that answer would be for any US spec...sorry don't know about UK spec or availability at auto parts store.

4. elmariachi

elmariachi

IMO, diagnosing all AC problems starts with a manifold gauge set. All AC systems are basically the same and there are only a few basic problems, most all of which can be easily identified with the gauges.

5. flintknapper

flintknapper

Agreed.

Yup, anything less is "guessing".

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.