air cleaner question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a cracked air cleaner hose for my 3B. Right now it has silicone sealant but I need to replace it. However the hose is unusual because the two ends are different diameters. I haven't found a used hose for sale and the price quote I got fo a new one is $375.

Can I have the output from the filter box fabbed/narrowed to the diameter of the intake manifold or will this restrict air flow? Seems to me like the narrowest part of the system is already present so it wouldn't harm airflow, but goodness knows I don't want to lose any power if I can avoid it.

I would noy use silicone hose, or even hump hose to connect the canister to the engine. I would fet something very flexible like the stock hose to keep engine vibrations and movement from damaging the canister.

A guy on the 60 section recently found a direct replacement for a his 60 that would likely work with yours.

On my diesel swap I used silicone hose, hump hose and aluminum pipe at first. I noticed the connection between the canister and intake was transmuting vibration and movement, and the canister was the weak link.

Here are the ways I connected mine.

Cheers

Doug

IMG_5252.jpg

001.jpg

Thanks Doug. That makes sense. I will look for a suitable silicone hose to neck my air cleaner output pipe down to intake diameter and use corrugated rubber hose to connect from the valve cover to the silicone and then to the cleaner box. My 3B vibrates pretty hard, especially on shut down.

How to attach the silicone to the rubber? Seems like a standard hose clamp might not work due to the rubber's inherent flexibility? Any worries here about creating some kind of pinch gap? Join with a short section of pipe?

Real clean looking install, nice.

Last edited:
On mine, the flex hose on the canister end clamps in the stock manor, on the turbo intake end, the flex hose and intake pipe are different sizes. I machined an adapter from aluminum and use clamps on each piece to hold them together. You can also buy steel adapters of have a muffler shop make you one easily.

I have well over 20K miles on my swap with no issues.

Thanks for the good words also,

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom