aftermarket radiators? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all-

I did a forum search for aftermarket radiators which did not turn up much info. Does anyone know a good source for such an item for diesel LC's? Hopefully something a bit more higher performance than stock?

Cheers!

Here in Quebec (probably in Canada too) is not possible to find an aftermarket diesel radiator.

If you are in USA it probably the same thing, because there was no diesel Toyota originally. There is little or no market for the company that produces aftermarket radiator.

Then there your Toyota dealer... if Toyota still product that rad or have them in stock ... (that was my case for my BJ70 3 years ago)

Or make a rebuilt.

The good thing for the rebuilt, is that you can install them 4 cores.

Ah... it may be possible to find a diesel radiator in a "Landcruiser" shop in the Canada or USA. But it should be $$$ as you can find at the dealer.

After 24 years, 410,000km with a BJ60 in canada and 4 radiator rebuilds, I found OEM were too expensive and hard to locate, and NO success in aftermarket suppliers whatsoever. I finally found a shop which does excellent custom radiator rebuilding. AER Radiators in North Vancouver BC (604-988-4480) and ask for Gary. He rebuilt my rad last year, put in a 4 row core and did a brilliant job of triple pass full depth soldering, he even wanted me to watch him do the assembly, so no issues with quality!!! It's tough as nails and cools like a demon. He has even made new sheet brass top and bottom headers from scratch for other cruisers. Not cheap (500cad), but much better than stock, and a really decent guy to deal with.

After 24 years, 410,000km with a BJ60 in canada and 4 radiator rebuilds, I found OEM were too expensive and hard to locate, and NO success in aftermarket suppliers whatsoever. I finally found a shop which does excellent custom radiator rebuilding. AER Radiators in North Vancouver BC (604-988-4480) and ask for Gary. He rebuilt my rad last year, put in a 4 row core and did a brilliant job of triple pass full depth soldering, he even wanted me to watch him do the assembly, so no issues with quality!!! It's tough as nails and cools like a demon. He has even made new sheet brass top and bottom headers from scratch for other cruisers. Not cheap (500cad), but much better than stock, and a really decent guy to deal with.

Aers Auto Electric & Refrigeration-Home Page

:beer:

Dolphin Radiator in Abbotsford, BC, by Lous Bar and Grill does a good job too. They 4-cored my BJ60 rad.

If this is for a 3B/13BT 7* series, there is a stock Toyota 4-core part number floating around on this site.

I'm tossing around the idea of replacing my tired rad...I do notice my temps getting up when I'm towing my M101...I have a stock rad, what say the masses, aftemarket aluminum or old school 4 core?

What are your EGTs. Your rad may be fine. You may just need to drop a gear and be satisfied with the lower speed when towing. I see overheated vehicles all the time that are towing - even in the winter. Almost every time when i ask about what gear, either I get a blank stare or "I didn't know I couldn't tow in overdrive". Also, if its an auto always add an external tranny cooler of the proper size and disconnect the transmission lines from the internal rad tranny cooler. It'll keep the heat down (coolant and tranny) and extend the life of your tranny.

What are your EGTs. Your rad may be fine. You may just need to drop a gear and be satisfied with the lower speed when towing. I see overheated vehicles all the time that are towing - even in the winter. Almost every time when i ask about what gear, either I get a blank stare or "I didn't know I couldn't tow in overdrive". Also, if its an auto always add an external tranny cooler of the proper size and disconnect the transmission lines from the internal rad tranny cooler. It'll keep the heat down (coolant and tranny) and extend the life of your tranny.

come see me in 40 tech, sorry for hijacking, my post ended up[ in the wrong place...

After 24 years, 410,000km with a BJ60 in canada and 4 radiator rebuilds, I found OEM were too expensive and hard to locate, and NO success in aftermarket suppliers whatsoever.

What are you doing to the poor thing? Until I installed A/C in my '82 BJ60 I was running the original 3 core rad. I probably had 400,000kms on it when I pulled it for the 4 core required to run A/C (it still was not leaking at that point). Most of the fins were gone for the lower 3-4 inches.

What are you doing to the poor thing? Until I installed A/C in my '82 BJ60 I was running the original 3 core rad. I probably had 400,000kms on it when I pulled it for the 4 core required to run A/C (it still was not leaking at that point). Most of the fins were gone for the lower 3-4 inches.

She's been my daily driver for 25 years now, no abuse, and well maintained.
The rad failed at the header seam every time, bottom front once, upper front 3 times. Every time it was remove and re solder or recore, the shops reusing the top and bottom headers.
When Gary finally had a swing at it he found the headers to be warped (hogged), probably from new (there was no sign of tinning above 1/8" in the centers), he straightened and reinforced the headers before he rebuilt it and now I have full depth soldered seams.
I watched him build it up and solder it, all seams, including all the fittings (the fill pipe, hose pipes and drain bush). He put in a NPT drain bush so I could put in a nice inline weatherhead valve with a hose nipple for draining the rad, it sure beats the old plug! Now I can just put a bucket under the hose (that I snaked through the frame) that ends by my front spring hanger, open the valve and have a controlled, clean way to get coolant out. What a treat!

So I need a rad for my 85 BJ73 and from doing a search is it true I can just order up one from toYota Here in BC ??
Thanks
FX

I cant see why not as long as they still stock them. It should be identical to the CDM BJ70

So I need a rad for my 85 BJ73 and from doing a search is it true I can just order up one from toYota Here in BC ??
Thanks
FX

Go there : ToyoDIY.com and check for the BJ73 radiator part number and see if it the same part number for the BJ70.

Should be the same...I ordered a 4 core rad from Jim Pattison Toyota years ago when I still had my BJ74. Brand new from Toyota, but I can't remember how much I paid...probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.

The parts manager at JP Toyota in Surrey is a Cruiserhead and drives a nice BJ60. His name is Gord.

I'm going to need a rad for my 3B for my swap from 2F - I've got no core to refirb - anybody know or recommend a good rad shop in Calgary if I can find a core with good caps?

Hi Spore,
which model landcruiser do oyu have?
Last l check(last month),Toyota don't have anymore stock on BJ60 rad,so l got a rad for FJ60 from Performance radiator and get the rad shop to change the lower rad inlet from right to left side.
The rag from the same place for a FZJ80 will fit a HDJ81,you have to fab the upper shroud mount.
Simon
TLC winnipeg

Just find the bill in my paper... :

BJ70 radiator 16400-58310 : list price 497.00 ... nov. 2006

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom