Aftermarket Fairing on FrontRunner Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
title says it all. has anyone figured out a cool way to improve upon the lame fairing that comes with FrontRunner Slimline 2? The 200 on the right has an Inno wind fairing attached. Looks pretty cool. Anyone have any information on it?

IMG_3245.JPG

Is the stock Frontrunner fairing ineffective? A Slimline II is next on my buy list.

TIA for any user comments.

Is the stock Frontrunner fairing ineffective? A Slimline II is next on my buy list.

TIA for any user comments.

No it's fine, but not as quiet as the Eezi Awn K9 I had on my G550. With that said, I think the FR is better in every other way than my K9 was. Was thinking of replacing the Eezi Awn on the 550 with a FR rack like I had on my 200 series.

I bought and returned that Inno fairing because it was too short, and let wind get caught between the rack and made a whistle.

That said, I ended up making my own brackets and used a thin sheet of aluminum as the fairing. I also keep the fairing off the body (the inno lays on the paint, and it's just a matter of time before it shows wear) and cut it to send wind over the rack.

For what it's worth, I felt my Frint runner slimlines have been the same wind noise as two of my friends K9 racks. But I do agree, sending the wind down on to the sunroof makes a louder rack. Unless you close the sun shard, then I don't notice it at all.

I have the FR also. At highway speed I have to keep the sunshade closed to quiet things down.

Interested in what you come up with for a fairing.

@mcgaskins was over a while ago, he commented on the wind noise from the FR rack. I have the Yakima 1A towers on my 80, including the old style fairing dating back to the early 90's. With the channels on the frame of the FR rack you could mount this fairing, and the large size of the fairing would easily cover the gap between the roof and rack. A quick search on Ebay turned up several of these for sale, and even just the mounting brackets if you wanted to make you own fairing.
s-l1600.jpg

The seller is asking $20....

Do you have a link?

TIA

Thanks!

Due to the inno brackets being so adjustable i clamped them down over my led light bar and it killed a lot of the wind noise i was experiencing. Without the light bar being there I dont know how stable the fairing would be. Its easy and quick to remove if i want my light bar unobstructed and worked for my application so theres another school of thought on the inno solution. The stock front-runner wind deflector leaves alot to be desired.

IMG_1641.JPG

An interesting benefit to the FR fairing, with it's downturned shape, is that it splatters insect guts and juices all over my sunroof glass!

An interesting benefit to the FR fairing, with it's downturned shape, is that it splatters insect guts and juices all over my sunroof glass!
I haven't noticed this on mine...but that's probably because I leave the sun roof cover closed to cut down on noise!

I moved my rack farther forward to try and solve this issue. It helped some. I would also love a fairing that actually let me use my sunroof at anything over 35 mph

I just ordered this one from Front Runner, must be a new offering they came out with in the last year?

Oh that’s cool, I was going to make one for the 200, but if that works then great.

I just ordered this one from Front Runner, must be a new offering they came out with in the last year?

Yeah - let us know how you like it.

I have a FR rack sitting in the box waiting to be installed - hoping to get to it this weekend. I had one on my 80 and love the rack but hate the wind noise it produces.

Installed in less than 30 minutes (including removal of standard fairing). I understand this product came out after the initial rack product, but this really should be the new standard fairing included with the rack. The difference in my 30 minute test drive was night and day. The noise is greatly reduced and I can open the sunroof with little to no air blowing inside at 60 mph. MPG numbers remain to be seen.

Pics suck because it's misting outside and not the greatest environment for a photo, but here ya go. You can't tell from the pictures because the quality is so bad, but it does say FRONT RUNNER on the fairing.

Installed in less than 30 minutes (including removal of standard fairing). I understand this product came out after the initial rack product, but this really should be the new standard fairing included with the rack. The difference in my 30 minute test drive was night and day. The noise is greatly reduced and I can open the sunroof with little to no air blowing inside at 60 mph. MPG numbers remain to be seen.

Pics suck because it's misting outside and not the greatest environment for a photo, but here ya go. You can't tell from the pictures because the quality is so bad, but it does say FRONT RUNNER on the fairing.

View attachment 1911033

View attachment 1911034
LALC, Are you still liking the FR wind fairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom