Builds after KOH LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the wagon on an epic adventure this weekend. We traveled through the north Bradshaws to a remote mine on Maverick Mountain. The roads were fairly rough and rocky in spots. The final 5 to 10 miles was an off chamber shelf road with some of the thickest brush I have ever driven through. It actually broke a side view mirror off one of the trucks. (no pix cause I had to focus on driving and not falling off the mountain)
The payoff was a super cool old silver and gold mine called...........wait for it.....................Blue Dick Mine. It's actually named after a native flower....lol

This mine was one of the craziest I have ever seen. It's like the mountain is Swiss cheese and the connected the chambers with tunnels and shoots.

20190608_104642.jpg
20190608_105810.jpg
20190608_113648.jpg
20190608_113658.jpg
20190608_113711.jpg

Looks like a great adventure.

An obvious question: aren't you a little concerned that something may collapse when you get so deep into the old abandoned mines, rotten timbers or poisonous gas accumulation? Do one of you stay topside while the others are inside?

Jack, you should go to Coober Pedy SA....
... you could live there in the underground.
Great place to visit. We loved it..... for some days.
10-COOBER-PEDY_functioning-blower-used-by-independent-miners-to-remove-dirt-from-the-mines_Coober-Pedy_South-Australia_DSC_6511_1-cd15a3d2a649.jpg

Blower truck used to extract dirt and dust / pic @ Lisa Young

Inside the Australian mining town where 80% of people live underground
The name "Coober Pedy" comes from the local Aboriginal term kupa-piti, which means "boys' waterhole".

Last edited:
Even though EFI is in the distant future, I decided to rebuild the carb. I found that the accelerator pump circuit was completely clogged. That would explain why it was so hard to start. It was pretty dirty inside and nasty on the outside.
20190703_183156.jpg
20190703_190906.jpg

Got it all back together this morning. Even went for a test drive. All seems good and a huge improvement. It restarts now after sitting and getting hot, unlike before. Seems to have alittle more power too. There's still a stumble but nothing too bad.

20190704_103602.jpg

Even though EFI is in the distant future, I decided to rebuild the carb. I found that the accelerator pump circuit was completely clogged. That would explain why it was so hard to start. It was pretty dirty inside and nasty on the outside.
View attachment 2020852View attachment 2020853

Got it all back together this morning. Even went for a test drive. All seems good and a huge improvement. It restarts now after sitting and getting hot, unlike before. Seems to have alittle more power too. There's still a stumble but nothing too bad.

View attachment 2020854

Wow looks excellent Jack! Good to hear starting has become a bit easier as well.

I often wonder if the lack of a return line on the older models is a factor? But then again my brothers ‘76 HAS a return line and still hard to restart in high heat.

My wagon has suffered from carb issues from day one. It's a wonder why I haven't done anything about it.
It really does not act up that often and a can of starting fluid has been my crutch.
I do plan to upgrade to EFI as soon as I sell a 40 or 2.......lol
Some air condition would be nice too.

So far the rebuild has been a big win. I am able to start the truck without starting fluid. :grinpimp:

I was cleaning the garage a bit and found all the pieces to make a cold air intake. I think this will help the carb heat issue as it will pull air from the cool side of the engine.

Going full ricer on this. :hillbilly:

20190706_145147.jpg

Learn something new every day. I always thought the side fitting in carb was return. Keep up the cool updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom