After 10 years owning a 5th gen, Parts replaced. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4runnermods

Jorge
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4runnermods.com
After 10 years owning a 5th gen I found a series of OEM parts that commonly fail on several 5th gens. My truck has 225k miles SR5 premium. Some are pretty stupid stuff.

Because I park my truck outside and it is exposed to all weathers, after 6-7 years I replaced all the window weather strips, this also happens on Tundra models. The rubber started melting until it cracked.
A few years after owning the truck I replaced the tailgate shocks because it couldn't hold the gate open.
Replaced the tailgate hatch latch actuator, stop opening apparently is due to water leaking through the weather strip and rust the mechanisms.
The antenna grommet rubber base cracked making the antenna getting loose overtime, I haven't replaced that, I removed the antenna like 2 years ago.
Front lower control arms bushings around 100k miles, most recommended to buy the whole new arm. If you don't replace it on time the bolts will weld in there. I had to cut one of mine.
Front wheel bearings after 150k miles, easy replacement.
Tie rods and sway bar links after 100k miles.
Another thing, all the chrome door handles fadeout and cracked. I don't think I will replace those.

All maintenance at the dealership. I can't think about anything else besides maintenance.

20231009_172704[1].jpg
20231121_082440[1].jpg
20231121_082405[1].jpg

Resume:
Window weather strips
Tail gate shocks
Tail gate actuator
Antenna grommet
LCA bushings
Front wheel bearings
Tie rods & sway bar links

I think these OEM parts are really common to be replaced on a 5th gen. Tell me other common ones that you have replaced.

13 years with my 5th gen.

Tailgate shocks
2 front wheel bearings
Drivers door belt moulding
My door handles are the same as yours also.

Other than that it’s been super reliable🍻

13 years with my 5th gen.

Tailgate shocks
2 front wheel bearings
Drivers door belt moulding
My door handles are the same as yours also.

Other than that it’s been super reliable🍻
That's great, for what I see, this model is pretty much bullet proof, lol. Never seen nobody with engine problems.

There is something else that I forgot to add in the original post.
I replaced the front axle differential seals, first one that went out was the passenger side, then like a year later the driver side. I was lucky enough that I noticed the oil leak both times. I also think that this happened because of bad wear out on tires creating vibration.

That’s a pretty short list for a 225k mile vehicle that gets parked outside. Try owning a Ford, if you make it half that long then you’ll actually have something to complain about.
Especially taking it off-road for many years. I think it's been like a year and half since I wheel it last time. I've been using other cars instead.
Pretty much reliable all the way. I had rebuilt the alternator in two occasions for deep mud puddles lol

That’s a pretty short list for a 225k mile vehicle that gets parked outside. Try owning a Ford, if you make it half that long then you’ll actually have something to complain about.
Mine lives outside all its life and I subjected to road salt for 6 months of each year, but I also undercoat every year.

When a shop works on it they cant believe the condition it is in underneath.

Mine lives outside all its life and I subjected to road salt for 6 months of each year, but I also undercoat every year.

When a shop works on it they cant believe the condition it is in underneath.
What undercoating do you use?

Any issues with the rubber swelling? I just picked up a 2020 SR5P and had it sprayed with Crown. Looks like they did a really good job - just read several posts regarding swelling.

OP - glad to hear your truck has been so reliable. I'm hoping mine will be the same and I pass it down to my son when he turns 16 in 7 years.

Any issues with the rubber swelling? I just picked up a 2020 SR5P and had it sprayed with Crown. Looks like they did a really good job - just read several posts regarding swelling.

OP - glad to hear your truck has been so reliable. I'm hoping mine will be the same and I pass it down to my son when he turns 16 in 7 years.
Some small under hood seals have swelled but none of the doors.

Apparently if you spray the seals with silicone lubricant it helps🤷‍♂, I only did that once in 13 years

We have a '15 since '16 bought with 27k on the clock. We are at 280k almost now, will likely top it this weekend running around.

Things I've replaced/repaired:
Blower motor 2x oem one quit and on the second aftermarket one
Rebuilt front end (inner/outer tie rods, bushings, balljoints, later extended upper control arms,) parts were seized alignment shop couldnt align it.
Several head lamp bulbs
Stereo, wife aggresivly rejected a call (me) and cracked the screen
Alternator at about 270k

Other than those its just been wear items like third set of brakes, third battery, fluids (amsoil), filters and several sets of cooper st maxx tires

This is actually my first post, found this place from researching stuff for dads recently purchased fj62....

19 4R with just over 100k

Just did f/r brakes/fluid flush

The inner front pads wear faster than the outers.....I got my moneys worth out of them.....the remaining pad material was no more than a smear of coloring on the backing......equal to the amount of vermouth in a very dry martini.......I should have done them sooner but....weather

Plan to do once it warms up:
plugs
accessory belt
drain/fill on trans/xfer
drain fill on rear diff

Did a blackstone oil analysis just before 100k and it came back good, all internals playing nice with one another <knock on wood>....been running full synthetic oil since 10k or so and are doing 6k OCI's

I have a 23 TRD ORP and dont really need to order anything yet, but for those that are ordering parts for the DIY repairs may I recommend partsouq.com for your parts needs.

I order parts from them for my 80 series Land Cruiser and all parts are OEM Toyota. Shipping from the Middle East is amazing, I usually see my orders arrive in a week.

The inner front pads wear faster than the outers.....I got my moneys worth out of them.....the remaining pad material was no more than a smear of coloring on the backing......equal to the amount of vermouth in a very dry martini.......I should have done them sooner but....weather
I feel brakes are a constant fight, I change pads twice a year, rear wears out first than front, normally a change front like 1-3 months after a change rear.
Did a blackstone oil analysis just before 100k and it came back good, all internals playing nice with one another <knock on wood>....been running full synthetic oil since 10k or so and are doing 6k OCI's
Great, I haven't done that but it's good to know about the 10k miles, I take it to Toyota service every 5k miles but change oil every 10k. I just hit 230k this year. Where do you get that Blackstone oil analysis done?

I have a 23 TRD ORP and dont really need to order anything yet, but for those that are ordering parts for the DIY repairs may I recommend partsouq.com for your parts needs.

I order parts from them for my 80 series Land Cruiser and all parts are OEM Toyota. Shipping from the Middle East is amazing, I usually see my orders arrive in a week.
Thank you,

I have used them before for parts on my 70 series. They are pretty quick. The only downside that you have to be aware of when buying with them is that sometimes they don't have the part in stock and they don't let you know right away, if you are buying several parts you will realize that you didn't get the part when you received the shipping. It happened to me like 2 times in a row until I noticed. I know about a few more Megazip.net, Amayama.com

On 4runner parts, I believe with this 4runner generation we won't have issues with parts for a long time. Toyota has sold so many over the years that it probably will make parts being cheap in the long run. Well that's what I hope for.

I feel brakes are a constant fight, I change pads twice a year, rear wears out first than front, normally a change front like 1-3 months after a change rear.

Great, I haven't done that but it's good to know about the 10k miles, I take it to Toyota service every 5k miles but change oil every 10k. I just hit 230k this year. Where do you get that Blackstone oil analysis done?

Read the fine print on Toyota's 10k OCI

Based on use that OCI should be 5k for almost everyone.

Oil sample analysis is the only way to actually how long oil is lasting based on your avg driving habits and the oil you're using.

Yea, people can ball park it and just change it every 5k to be safe and less if you're spending time off road but if you're going to use full synthetic it starts getting expensive guessing.

This is what a report generally looks like

Some people go to the extreme of installing a futomoto valve in drain pan, others just pull a sample through dipstick with a suction tool or pull a sample when you change the oil to get an idea how things look at a specific OCI

There's no one way to do this but I strongly suggest you read their site and faq's and give them the info they want/request in order to get best results back from them.

My 4R only takes 6.6(?) quarts of oil by my 1HZ holds almost 3 gallons of oil, as does my cummins.....guessing on OCI's starts getting expensive with 3 gallons of full synthetic oil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom