Affordable 75w GL-4 Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across the most affordable (or so I have seen) 75w fluid for the transfer case: Febi Bilstein 75w

I know people have differing opinions on what to run in the TC but if you want to follow the manual and use a 75w I thought this was worth sharing!

You change diff/transfer case oils every 60k and you want to buy the cheapest possible products? Uhhh...no thanks. Not saying the unicorn tears from Toyota is or isn't required, but Redline has everything you need and isn't too expensive.

Cheap Insurance

Mobil Delvac full synthetic 75W90 is $9/quart. Mine gets changed annually. It's super-common for fleet/HD semi truck use. It's also one of the few full-synthetic 75W90s that comes without a limited slip friction modifier - which you don't want in your transfer case. Most folks have speculated that only reason Toyota specs 75W instead of 75W90 is for an nominal increase in fuel economy.

Mobil Delvac full synthetic 75W90 is $9/quart. Mine gets changed annually. It's super-common for fleet/HD semi truck use. It's also one of the few full-synthetic 75W90s that comes without a limited slip friction modifier - which you don't want in your transfer case. Most folks have speculated that only reason Toyota specs 75W instead of 75W90 is for an nominal increase in fuel economy.

75w90 is fine

But thats a GL5 not a GL4

GL5 is not a substitute unless it explicitly states its safe for "Yellow Metals" (Syncros etc) otherwise it will eat away at them and you're gonna have a very expensive repair bill

You can use that all day long in your diffs.....never put it in your MT and I wont put it in my TC because if there's ever a co-mingling of fluids you're gonna have issues

75w90 is fine

But thats a GL5 not a GL4

GL5 is not a substitute unless it explicitly states its safe for "Yellow Metals" (Syncros etc) otherwise it will eat away at them and you're gonna have a very expensive repair bill

You can use that all day long in your diffs.....never put it in your MT and I wont put it in my TC because if there's ever a co-mingling of fluids you're gonna have issues
The GXs are auto-only and don't have syncros in transfer case. Believe me, I wish these had an option for a MT.

75w90 is fine

I'm not going to argue that 75w90 isn't fine, but what really puzzles me is how freaking cheap some people are and why there is such a resistance to not use the correct fluid in the TC. I mean $80 over 60k miles doesn't seem like a huge investment for using the correct fluids, and if Toyota engineers (you know the guys who are actually qualified to spec fluids) would have thought 75w90 was fine, why did they choose this magic potion?

I'm not going to argue that 75w90 isn't fine, but what really puzzles me is how freaking cheap some people are and why there is such a resistance to not use the correct fluid in the TC. I mean $80 over 60k miles doesn't seem like a huge investment for using the correct fluids, and if Toyota engineers (you know the guys who are actually qualified to spec fluids) would have thought 75w90 was fine, why did they choose this magic potion?

That depends on when the spec was set doesnt it?

If we're talking about a 35 year old vehicle and a spec that is necessarily older than that well......pretty much all of the ratings for 35 year old fluids have been superceeded and 90 weight gear oil is now unobtanium......I just bought gear oil to do TC/MT and both diffs and never saw straight 90 in ANY of the 6 ish stores I was in.....had to go to multiple stores just to get enough 75/90.....

Back in the day you're only option in gear oil was 90 weigh

75w90 is a 75 weight oil that does the function/work of a 90 weight.

Service interval is also going to change along with use......if its a highway vehicle then yea.....60k or more for most people

If its an off road vehicle doing water crossings then its never gonna get close to 60k....its going to be changed out every season or more frequently

Fluids are often chosen for other reasons on their robustness and durability - TC fluid is likely related to fuel economy. Toyota and everyone else has to meet aggressive CAFE requirements, which also result in things like 0W20 and now 0W16 oil (not that I'm saying to put heavier oil in the engine :)).

Some Toyota maintenance products are great and a good value. I use nothing but OEM Toyota/Denso filters and coolant in my rigs - since they are the same price or less than aftermarket. Other stuff - like Toyota WS transmission fluid and the transfer case fluid - are many times higher in price than aftermarket, and there are multiple equivalent products that are sometimes a better product anyway.

My personal rig get worked pretty hard towing our camper and does a ton of deep water crossings, all of which have a risk of decreasing the lifespan of a fluid and water-contaminating it. My transmission fluid gets changed every ~30-45K and differential and TC fluid yearly (the latter of which often has some amount of water in it due to those crossings), so those aftermarket fluids that really save $$$$. Valvoline MaxLife in the trans, Delvac in the TC, and cheapo Valvoline 80W90 in the diffs. MaxLife trans fluid is WS-compatible and less than half the cost. IMO, fresh cheaper fluid in everything is better than contaminated expensive fluid, and I'd rather not throw away $150+ in water-contaminated synthetic gear oils every year and $200 in transmission fluid every two years.

If I had a mall crawler and kept with those super-long service intervals in clean conditions (100K for trans fluid and 60K for diffs/TC), I'd consider using OEM Toyota stuff.

Came across the most affordable (or so I have seen) 75w fluid for the transfer case: Febi Bilstein 75w

I know people have differing opinions on what to run in the TC but if you want to follow the manual and use a 75w I thought this was worth sharing!
For how often transmissions and transfer cases have their fluids changed, the extra couple dollars spent on cheap oil is not worth it in the long run.
With all due respect, I'd suggest you find somewhere else to pinch pennies, but when it comes to the drive train, don't skimp. One of the reasons why Toyota/Lexus products consistently last hundreds of thousands of miles.
I'll stay with premium products. Owning a Lexus, one should be able to afford premium products for its care and maintenance.

For how often transmissions and transfer cases have their fluids changed, the extra couple dollars spent on cheap oil is not worth it in the long run.
With all due respect, I'd suggest you find somewhere else to pinch pennies, but when it comes to the drive train, don't skimp. One of the reasons why Toyota/Lexus products consistently last hundreds of thousands of miles.
I'll stay with premium products. Owning a Lexus, one should be able to afford premium products for its care and maintenance.
Yes, but there are "premium products" that cost a lot less than some of the OEM fluids. Other times, like for oil filters, OEM is actually a better deal.

Regarding the OP, I use Ravenol 75W full synthetic in the transfer case.

Yes, but there are "premium products" that cost a lot less than some of the OEM fluids. Other times, like for oil filters, OEM is actually a better deal.

The ironic part is Febi Bilstein is a well-regarded German brand and affordable, it meets the requirements of GL-4 and 75w. I presume it's Fuchs, Pentosin, or Liqui Moly who actually makes the oil. Ravenol is also another alternative as you mentioned.

I agree. Saying "premium" does not always have to mean the most expensive.
Many products try to pretend to be premium because of an inflated price tag and fancy label. Not just speaking of automotive products.

Ravenol has good reviews, but is $$$$$. You can do a full change with Delvac for less half the cost - it's routinely used in OTR trucks (where they have 100K+ drain intervals in differentials), gearboxes for Porsches used for racing, etc. Cut the change interval in half with cheaper oil and IMO you'll have longer diff life as contaminants will be flushed out 2X as often. From changing my fluid annually, you'll be amazed how disgusting and contaminated it can get in just a single year.

The Ravelol 75W85 also has the limited slip additive, which you don't really need either. I would definitely not put that in the transfer case.

The ironic part is Febi Bilstein is a well-regarded German brand and affordable, it meets the requirements of GL-4 and 75w. I presume it's Fuchs, Pentosin, or Liqui Moly who actually makes the oil. Ravenol is also another alternative as you mentioned.

That name though...it just doesn't do it for me!! haha Febi Bilstein....who? what? haha just joking. It's not like you are buying it every 3-4 months people, maybe every 3-4 years for most users.

The Ravelol 75W85 also has the limited slip additive, which you don't really need either. I would definitely not put that in the transfer case.

That's why the kit has 75W fluid for the TC. The 75W85 is for the diffs silly.

That's why the kit has 75W fluid for the TC. The 75W85 is for the diffs silly.
The 75W85 for the diffs still has the LS additive, and the GX does not have LS diffs at the front or rear, unless you've added them. Not a deal-killer but IMO I'd rather not include an additive if it's not needed.

The 75W85 for the diffs still has the LS additive, and the GX does not have LS diffs at the front or rear, unless you've added them. Not a deal-killer but IMO I'd rather not include an additive if it's not needed.

Yeah I can't speak towards the LS additives, but lot's of people use their products on Toyotas.

Yeah I can't speak towards the LS additives, but lot's of people use their products on Toyotas.
Lots do indeed and I am sure the Ravenol fluids are great, I'm just letting folks know there are other options for great fluids that are much cheaper and easier-to-source :).

Fluids are often chosen for other reasons on their robustness and durability - TC fluid is likely related to fuel economy. Toyota and everyone else has to meet aggressive CAFE requirements, which also result in things like 0W20 and now 0W16 oil (not that I'm saying to put heavier oil in the engine :)).

Some Toyota maintenance products are great and a good value. I use nothing but OEM Toyota/Denso filters and coolant in my rigs - since they are the same price or less than aftermarket. Other stuff - like Toyota WS transmission fluid and the transfer case fluid - are many times higher in price than aftermarket, and there are multiple equivalent products that are sometimes a better product anyway.

My personal rig get worked pretty hard towing our camper and does a ton of deep water crossings, all of which have a risk of decreasing the lifespan of a fluid and water-contaminating it. My transmission fluid gets changed every ~30-45K and differential and TC fluid yearly (the latter of which often has some amount of water in it due to those crossings), so those aftermarket fluids that really save $$$$. Valvoline MaxLife in the trans, Delvac in the TC, and cheapo Valvoline 80W90 in the diffs. MaxLife trans fluid is WS-compatible and less than half the cost. IMO, fresh cheaper fluid in everything is better than contaminated expensive fluid, and I'd rather not throw away $150+ in water-contaminated synthetic gear oils every year and $200 in transmission fluid every two years.

If I had a mall crawler and kept with those super-long service intervals in clean conditions (100K for trans fluid and 60K for diffs/TC), I'd consider using OEM Toyota stuff.
Curious. If you do a lot of water crossings have you relocated your diff breathers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom