Advice Needed on Potential 100 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
I am near the point of no return. I have singled out several 100 series Cruisers that look good. One has around 80k miles with a lift and ARB front bumper for $22k.

Another decent prospect is a 98 with 93k miles for $16.5k. no mods.

Any advice from the 100 faithful?

Thanks in advance.

John D

What year is the one for $22K? And what are you planning to do with it/what type of usage will it see, once you get one? Are these local vehicles? Are you sure they're not ship-ins from hurricanville? Crawl under them and look for surface rust on everything underneath...especially bolts/nuts etc. Based upon my experience avoid anything that looks rusty underneath.

One more thing...on any near 90K or above make sure they have done the complete 90K factory service (timing belt, etc.) including water pump!

These are local Texas cruisers for which I have already done the CARFAX. The one selling for $22k is an 02 with a lift and ARB front bumper. I plan on only limited trails and highway usage.

The 02 comes with a three month warranty.

John D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4634439979&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wouldnt trust much on the "warranty" myself. Carfax doesnt tell everything, you still need to check it out. And do remember you will have to fork out an additional $1K for the 90K mile service if it has not been done. (it can be cheaper at some dealerships)

I wish you luck, I have been watching it since it listed. Looks like a great buy, but its about $3-5K out of our price range. I wish all ofthe deals I find were not 500 miles + away from me.

If you do buy it be sure to document stuff on here to help us all out!!

my wife wants to sell her 99 that she just bought last september to cut back on her spending, including gas. it has less than 60,000 miles. i'd have to find out how much she still owes on it. just in case you're interested, email me. 71fj40@gmail.com. i'm in iowa. here's a picture https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=89383

If you want the lift and bumper then that is over 2k to get the 98 to sit equal to the 02. I assume with a lift that the tires are bigger and that will get close to another thousand. Now your 98 is at $19.5 if there is no other add ons witch puts you at less than a thousand dollars a year to move up 4 year models. If you want all this and the trucks are equal in condition then the 02 is a better buy. If you dont want all this on it and you want it factory then the 98 may be a better option. I dont belive that the 98 is going to drop much more over the next 5 years. You still see people trying to get 12-16k out of 96 and 07 fj80's and this is way more truck.

REKCUT said:
If you want the lift and bumper then that is over 2k to get the 98 to sit equal to the 02. I assume with a lift that the tires are bigger and that will get close to another thousand. Now your 98 is at $19.5 if there is no other add ons witch puts you at less than a thousand dollars a year to move up 4 year models. If you want all this and the trucks are equal in condition then the 02 is a better buy. If you dont want all this on it and you want it factory then the 98 may be a better option. I dont belive that the 98 is going to drop much more over the next 5 years. You still see people trying to get 12-16k out of 96 and 07 fj80's and this is way more truck.

I am not quite sure what you are refering to on some of this, but I know that the $19.5K on a 98 is quite high. Even if the miles are relatively low.

- I am not looking @ 98's b/c of the no rear air, but have seen quite a few go at very good prices. Especially if you dont mind them having 125K miles or more. (Saw a 98 with 135K go for 12.5K)
- I even saw a 99 with rear air sell for $9.5K!

The deals are out there, just have to be on top of things and lucky enough that it be local/semi-local to you.

On the add-ons listed on that '02 it would cost $1500 for the lift and bumper and then an additional $600-$800 for the tires. The year is what makes it great, because it has the TRAC and the Nav. (+or- to some)

I wish you luck no matter what, just be informed and research whatever you are getting into.

$19.5 is how much the 98 model would be if you lift it add tires and a arb bumper give or take a few dollars. Trying to compare apples to apples. I think you are a little light on the 1500 for lift and bumper if your are going with OME($700-900) installed yourself and Arb ($900-1200) installed yourself, and tires depending what size and quality 600-1000.

you are right on the costs of the lift and bumper. I was thinking of how much they cost for a 60/80 series.

Honestly I think it is a great deal. And wish we could swing it. But we really want to stay as far under $20K as poss. (more like under $16 or 17K)

One ? i Never asked the guy was why he had the 03+ bumper on the 02? Unless slee's site is wrong?

Bumpers are less on 60 but the lifts are eaiser on the 80' and 100's.

How about my '00 w/ 49K miles? :) Ain't much of a drive if you want to see it in person.

johnny4ever said:
I am near the point of no return. I have singled out several 100 series Cruisers that look good. One has around 80k miles with a lift and ARB front bumper for $22k.

Another decent prospect is a 98 with 93k miles for $16.5k. no mods.

Any advice from the 100 faithful?

Thanks in advance.

John D
Sounds high for a '98.

Get the best LC/LX you can find within your budget. If the 02 is really nice and you really want the extras it has, then it would be worth the stretch. I personally prefer 00 and newer and like the packaging in the 01 and 02 best for the money. The 98 may be a really nice value, but it is risky without seeing it, driving it, checking it over, maintenance records, etc. it is difficult to determine.

If you can be patient you should be able to find a really nice one. I did a lot of looking in the DFW area last year and was mostly disappointed with what I saw for the price. The good ones seem to go quickly leaving the left overs. I ended up providing several salesmen with what I was looking for (features, condition, price range). It worked, I was called about 100s to look at before they hit the lot. Got one in great condition in AR at a fair price, but a similar one also became available in Dallas about a week later. If I didn't get the one, I could have had another without too much difference in time. Salemen don't mind working with you if they know you are a serious buyer and understand your expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom