Adjusting wipers question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
worldseasonings.com
I just had my truck painted and they did not do this before. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to adjust them. If I get them set to where they wipe the entire window as they should when it stops they're about halfway up the window. If I get them to where they stop where they should then they first swipe down onto the hood about 3 in and then proceed up about 60 to 70% of the window. What am I doing wrong?

20230524_162438.jpg

With them in the stop position, key on, remove the nut and pull the arm off. Reset it on the gear in the desired position and reinstall the nut! Its really that easy.

With them in the stop position, key on, remove the nut and pull the arm off. Reset it on the gear in the desired position and reinstall the nut! Its really that easy.
I did that. But both wipers are doing this weird, down-then-up motion on start. If i do that, they swipe down first (on to the hood - freshly painted, not cool) then roll up, but only about 60%-70%ish of the window, then come down and stop at the right position. ...

Could someone have disconnected the wiper linkage from the motor during the paint job?

I got the wipers 'out of synch' on my FJ40, and it was quite a pain to get them re-timed (mechanically) so that they worked as they should. I suggest you get the FSM and see if there is a procedure for the wiper arm/motor mechanism.

Could someone have disconnected the wiper linkage from the motor during the paint job?

I got the wipers 'out of synch' on my FJ40, and it was quite a pain to get them re-timed (mechanically) so that they worked as they should. I suggest you get the FSM and see if there is a procedure for the wiper arm/motor mechanism.
I'm sure they did disconnect it. They took the whole truck apart for the most part. Thank you for your suggestion. I do have the manual and will give it a look.

This hits home, just went through this during my wiper rebuild.

With all the changes made already, I would remove the wiper arms from the studs entirely as you work to find the proper (original) clocking position of the small arm on the splined wiper motor shaft. Put a ziptie on one of the wiper arm studs so you can see the movement better as you turn the wipers on and off in the truck (without risk of wiper arms sweeping the cowl vent paint or raking the drivers pillar).

The splined shaft on the wiper motor and it’s corresponding arm might have mating marks. One spline the wrong way and the wipers drop down on start of cycle or dip and come up before parking. Once it’s right, setup the wiper arms for park position on the glass.

PITA.

This hits home, just went through this during my wiper rebuild.

With all the changes made already, I would remove the wiper arms from the studs entirely as you work to find the proper (original) clocking position of the small arm on the splined wiper motor shaft. Put a ziptie on one of the wiper arm studs so you can see the movement better as you turn the wipers on and off in the truck (without risk of wiper arms sweeping the cowl vent paint or raking the drivers pillar).

The splined shaft on the wiper motor and it’s corresponding arm might have mating marks. One spline the wrong way and the wipers drop down on start of cycle or dip and come up before parking. Once it’s right, setup the wiper arms for park position on the glass.

PITA.
Thanks! Good idea on the zip tie. I need to read up on what the "splined shaft" is. There must be one spline the wrong way b/c it is doing exactly that - dropping down on start of the cycle. How do I get them the correct position? Do I need to get under the cowl vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom